Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by beefchorizo View Post
    yall need to check this out. more police harassment and profiling!

http://www.break.com/video/one-of-la...finest-2501305
    Pathetic losers, that's what those people are. "Am I being detained?"

Do you people really want to go that way? Because you know you will lose eventually. Idiots...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Well, that woman's certainly a spectacular cunt.

- - - Updated - - -

I... don't understand? I'm really not seeing how asking, "can I go?" is a fishing expedition. I'm sure there's an occasional individual that's looking to make some sort of statement, but the vast, vast majority of people asking if they can leave just want to leave.
    Are you really that naive that this 30 sec video is the only thing that happened?

It does kind of amaze me how upset some people get if they get the inkling that you are even thinking about questioning authority. (even though it's completely within your rights to do so)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Echelonl View Post
    You seem to be ignoring the fact that a plethora of police officers do treat people unequally. There's like 10k videos of abhorrent police behavior in the U.S. on the youtube by now. Its basically a general consensus at this point that police are no longer viewed as protecting and serving the public.

No one is arguing there aren't some good police officers. The issue everyone has is with the terrible ones that get off scott-free from the most messed up things. Police should be highly monitored and they should make efforts to remove as many scumbag police officers as possible.

I'd even support operations that test police officers ability to keep their cool, and those that freak out, threaten to do all kinds of crazy shit, or attack citizens that have done nothing wrong, should be immediately fired.
    Not only fired but blacklisted from law enforcement for life. Can't take risks with this kind of job.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    Surely though for him to incriminate you, you'd have to be breaking the law (knowingly or not) in the first place ?

Example: In France we have to have a High Vis jacket in the car at all times.
    This is a well known thing; everyone has one.
    However, last year the law was changed in order to include a breathalizer law. You had to have two of them in your car at all times.
    Very few people were caught out by this, but my grandmother (who is English and doesn't follow French legal changes) did get caught out by it; the Police checked her car, informed her of her error, where to go to get the breatalizers to rectify it, and send her on her way.
    You have to have breathalizers now ?

Quote Originally Posted by bugzilla3 View Post
    "I want to hate on cops as much as the next guy but at some point you have to realize... They are in a customer service job where the customer is always a piece of shit." -Kyle Kinane
    This is true. It's also true that anyone in a customer service-related job who threatened to abuse their position in order to cause inconvenience or harm to a customer who was rude to them (e.g. a waiter saying "If you don't start speaking with more respect, I'll piss in your drink") would be fired in an instant, even if they didn't carry out their threat or ever had any intention of doing so.

Yet a cop threatens to illegally search your car, kill your dog, assault you, or even murder you, and nobody on the force bats an eye.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebane View Post
    When did people (ie: retards) start demanding if they "are being detained". Seems like some kind of internet trollfishing thing to me.

-Where are you heading ?
    -My Grandma's house, 15 minutes away.
    -Ok, cool, ID/Driver's licence ? (In my country they only ask for licence)
    -Here you go.
    -Okay sir have a nice day.

//

-Hello sir...
    -AM I BEING DETAINED ?? WELL AM I ??

Not to sum up the situation in to broad a way, but one of those ways is the right way to act like an adult human being and the other is how to act like a jerkoff.
    Guess who the police pick on ? Nice people who help them do their job in a pleasant and timely fashion, or jerkoffs who waste their time ?

If the cop acts out of line from the offset, then they are quite clearly at fault, but let's not act like it's a surprise when one of them is goaded into it.
    They've seen it before in other videos. They want to feel like they're rebels. They're basically "FUCK THE POLICE" and "FUCK THE SOCIETY" type of kids with nothing better to do.
    And when they get reaction like this, they whine on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    They've seen it before in other videos. They want to feel like they're rebels. They're basically "FUCK THE POLICE" and "FUCK THE SOCIETY" type of kids with nothing better to do.
    And when they get reaction like this, they whine on the Internet.
    When someone you don't know asks you where you are going, is your immediate reaction "well, I'm obligated to tell them"? I don't think so. You might tell them, or you might not tell them, but I doubt anyone would say "Jesus Christ look at this douche not immediately telling this totally random person where he is going".

Either the police officer was asking the question AS a police officer, in which case she lied and he actually was being detained for questioning, or she was asking as a random person with no connection to him, in which case I challenge you to tell me how his destination was any of her fucking business.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vuljatar View Post
    When someone you don't know asks you where you are going, is your immediate reaction "well, I'm obligated to tell them"? I don't think so. You might tell them, or you might not tell them, but I doubt anyone would say "Jesus Christ look at this douche not immediately telling this totally random person where he is going".

Either the police officer was asking the question AS a police officer, in which case she lied and he actually was being detained for questioning, or she was asking as a random person with no connection to him, in which case I challenge you to tell me how his destination was any of her fucking business.
    First of all, I don't hate cops, I don't fear them and I have no reason not to answer them when they politely ask me. She did exactly that. It wasn't an interrogation.
    "How's your day?" - "I'm not obligated to answer that question"
    If you view police officers as your enemies, there's no help for you. Most of them aren't bad, why the hell would you like to make their day any worse? They have to deal with enough of idiots like this one in the video. Just like you have to deal with idiots in your work.

Second, she's not a police officer.

First of all, I don't hate cops, I don't fear them and I have no reason not to answer them when they politely ask me. She did exactly that. It wasn't an interrogation.
    Granted. However, having "no reason not to answer" is not the same as having "reason to answer". And "How's your day?" is a far more innocuous question than "Where are you going?". If someone I didn't know asked me where I was going, there are several ways I might respond depending on the person and the context, including answering honestly, feigning that I had not heard them, answering evasively, or telling them it's not their business. I absolutely agree that the last option is rude, but only to a small degree.

But most importantly, before he was told he was free to go she asked him where he was going, and then after she told him he was free to go she repeated the question. It seems obvious to me that she was continuing her questioning of him. I believe that this made him question whether he really was free to go--it would certainly create doubt in my mind, were I in his place. He asked her to clarify--his other option being to simply roll up the window and drive off without a word, which I think would have been much more rude.

If you view police officers as your enemies, there's no help for you. Most of them aren't bad, why the hell would you like to make their day any worse? They have to deal with enough of idiots like this one in the video. Just like you have to deal with idiots in your work.
    There is a middle point between seeing every police officer as your friend and seeing every police officer as your enemy.

The police are normal people, like you and me. Most of them are good at heart. Some of them are not. Most of them are rational and responsible. Some of them are not. The primary difference between us and the police is that they almost never face criminal charges for breaking the law. And if we threaten to illegally misuse the abilities granted by our profession to inconvenience someone who antagonized us, we would immediately lose our jobs.

I posted a hypothetical example earlier about a waiter threatening to urinate in a rude customer's drink. It's totally understandable that he'd think about it, and it's entirely possible that he'd never actually do it, but the absolutely deplorable lack of character and complete absence of anything resembling professionalism required to voice such a threat should never be forgivable by any employer, much less one funded by the taxpayers.

I don't hate cops. I don't fear cops. However, I am wary of them. I am aware that if for whatever reason one of those uncommon bad police officers decided to victimize me in any way, they would almost certainly suffer no consequences for it.

She isn't? What is she?

Deleted
    I've been pulled over a couple of times (nothing illegal, just routine check) but I have never met a "angry/having-a-bad-day" cop.

We clearly don't know what happend before he started filming and it is therefore difficult to justify the situation. If you are polite to the cops, they will also be polite to you - unless you did something very very wrong. Thats an unwritten rule which everyone should know. However even though he did act like a douche she should have kept it cool and lowered her voice.
    Last edited by mmoc5f651aac41; 2013-08-08 at 09:54 PM.

Deleted
    She isn't? What is she?
    Security guard.

Security guard.
    ...really?

Do you have a source for that information?

You don't need to view police officers as your enemies to NOT automatically assume they are your allies. If a random stranger asked "How's your day?" he'd probably answer.

Deleted
    ...really?

Do you have a source for that information?
    Her badge. That's not LAPD. She's either security guard, or of some other PD.

Deleted
    I can't believe it's taken 12 pages for you lot to realise that she isn't a Police Officer. The guy is obviously trying to pull on her strings. Something had obviously been happening prior to the start of the recording, and the moment he does start recording he asks a defensive question where she appears to be slightly taken back by it. Whilst she was away checking the documents they obviously thought, "lets film this and see how far we can go" Why do that?

I read through this thread genuinely surprised at some of the moronic statements and misinformation, but then I realised that I am on an MMO forum.

I don't care if she's not specifically LAPD...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannas View Post
    I can't believe it's taken 12 pages for you lot to realise that she isn't a Police Officer.
    I'd like some more evidence of that. Her behavior is completely inexplicable for a security guard--why would anyone do anything she said or put up with any of her bullshit?

Deleted

I'd like some more evidence of that. Her behavior is completely inexplicable for a security guard--why would anyone do anything she said or put up with any of her bullshit?
    I know there's 302 of them, but have a read through the comments on the link. Plenty of people there clearly stating that the uniform is that of a guard rather than an Officer. The badge on her chest and shoulder looks like something from a toy shop.

And why wouldn't you stop for a security guard? They are only doing a job. If I was asked to stop by a guard or parking attendant I would. The moment they started speaking to me like that I'd be off, but then again, I wouldn't give them a reason to talk to me like that.

Peoples manners are shit nowadays. He was told that he was free to go, then she just asked where he was off to. He was under no obligation to answer but decided to be a tosser and give a smartass answer. He started it. I'm not defending her, she went too far, but he was a tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannas View Post
    I know there's 302 of them, but have a read through the comments on the link. Plenty of people there clearly stating that the uniform is that of a guard rather than an Officer. The badge on her chest and shoulder looks like something from a toy shop.

And why wouldn't you stop for a security guard? They are only doing a job. If I was asked to stop by a guard or parking attendant I would. The moment they started speaking to me like that I'd be off, but then again, I wouldn't give them a reason to talk to me like that.

Peoples manners are shit nowadays. He was told that he was free to go, then she just asked where he was off to. He was under no obligation to answer but decided to be a tosser and give a smartass answer. He started it. I'm not defending her, she went too far, but he was a tool.
    I see plenty of people saying that, and they've got some decent points, but I didn't see anything completely convincing, yet.

If she wasn't a cop, though, that makes me wonder why the guy recording did the things he did. Yes, I would stop if a security guard asked me to, but I wouldn't provide ID or whatever papers he gave her. And why would she threaten to search his car without his permission? That's a pretty ridiculous bluff, since I'd assume that basically everyone knows that would be illegal.

If she is just a security guard, I guess it's possible that she misrepresented herself as a police officer (directly or indirectly) and he believed her.