Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Remember when it was hard to reach max level?

Those were the days...
    By hard of course I mean longer... it's not an IQ test.
    Last edited by Deventh; 2013-08-03 at 08:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    it was never "hard" it just took about 10x longer.

now the thing i REALLY miss is when every dungeon had elites leading up to it. was sort of a pain in the ass really but it made you feel like you were about to go somewhere that wasnt normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean your very first time through the game with no outside help? Sure do.

Too bad it was easy after that. Ignorance was bliss.

I'm trying as hard as I can and I can't ever recall it being hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well despite the OP not really lending itself to a productive discussion I will still make an observation:

The easier they make the levelling process the harder it becomes for me to bring myself to level an alt. When there was a risk of death or even the slightest challenge playing in the world could actually be mildly fun and stimulating. Now that it is so completely devoid of any difficulty the real challenge is staying awake and engaged.
    "Brevity is...wit"

You mean, in like, a different game? In WoW it was never hard to reach max level. In vanilla it was a bit slower, but just as easy (the level cap is also 50% higher now) Now EQ, getting max level in that was harder, still not hard though. If you died you lost experience, and there were few, if any, quests to turn in for experience. Mobs were the source of experience, and they didn't spawn quicker with more people around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, and it was awful. Today's system is so much better than Vanilla/TBC it's not even funny.

It was never hard to get to max level, just took a long time and countless mob grinding.

By hard of course I mean longer... it's not an IQ test.

10+ Year Old Account
    it was never hard , last 10 lvls were just time consuming ,especialy when it was your 1st playthru

I remember the days when I could come to the forums and not see countless threads by idiots who are clueless.

Leveling has never been hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    "hard" when you rolled a hunter in +int leather and insisted on using raptor strike and mongoose bite to melee?

"hard" when you decked your level 52 warrior out in level 40 agility mail because it was legitimately the best armor you had seen so far?

Hard? It wasn't hard. People just sucked, and didn't know what they were doing. And it, therefore, took longer.

Moreover, when things are fresh and new, you run around exploring stuff, as opposed to hitting the major quest hubs and just sliding to the next zone like now. You would finish story arcs in their entirety when you're new, even if they fade to being green or even grey for you halfway through the quest chain. After people have leveled a toon once or twice, and DONE all of those things, they usually don't do all of them again.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    No, because it never was hard in the first place.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I leveled in Vanilla/BC. It wasn't fun, it was actually somewhat painful. I think Wrath leveling worked best of any expansion.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

"Remember when it took longer to reach max level?"

I do actually. And while I miss those times, the only reason it was bearable was because I was new and leveling was exciting. I actually bothered with low-level gear progression and experiencing the dungeons/exploring. However, as soon as I reached max level and were to begin a new character the only thing I wanted was to get through it as quickly as possible.

You could argue that new players today are missing out, seeing how quick it is to level, however the games aimed market is now different. I think the game is fine as it is, and while rose-tinted glasses are nice I prefer today's leveling pace.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was never 'hard'.
    It only took long ass time.

having to figure out the easiest quest in the game wasn't fun.
    WoW is much better atm, Questing wise. All though i agree it's a little to fast, where you can complete 10% of the 1-60 zone and then you can move on, it's ashame for the lore of that zone
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Not hard just long.. and sure the game was new so it was *fun* but after doing the same quests over and over on a bajillion alts it can just be tedious now.

The only thing hard about it was probably getting groups formed to do group quests, even then that was mostly just time consuming too.

How'd I know there'd be a buncha tools going 'it was never hard her der'.

That's what you all say about everything. That's why the game is streamlined now, cause they removed all the gameplay people whined about having to do. It wasn't 'hard' but at least pre level cap wasn't totally trivial and there was still a journey.

Can't say it was especially hard (Even with the craptacular way i played, knowing no better), quest droughts in the late 40s and 50s (and "Get a quest in Winterspring, gather something in Un'Goro, then hand it in back here in Winterspring"-quests) stretched it out, but it was never really hard.

Yep, glad that's over with.