Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've experienced the leveling content in the game. I don't need to relive it every time I decide to level an alt. I'm happy I can get to cap in a few days.
    I'm just here to complain, if I'm being honest

Deleted
    it was never hard, it was just slow as fuck...

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    In a low pop realm you almost never did because people were spread so thin and no realmwide chat channels.
    Back then our own realm created it own realmwide channel and advertise it, so it worked as pseudo world wide channel (its an MMO not a parent-child hand holding session). Though now that is no longer really needed and some of the realms are still facing uphill battles against declining player pop, virtual realms may fix this

That is fucked up bugged quest, not an actual attempt to make content more challenging. Or serious L2P problem. There's a good reason why vanilla zones desperately needed the rework.
    Not bugged at all, don't pull that from your tin foil hat. The quest worked as intended all the way till it was undone by Cataclysm, and seriously tested you to play properly instead of facerolling. You had to clear 3 waves of increasing mob count each (the last having 6 mobs IIRC) which had Frostbolt abilities and run away when near death while protecting this weak NPC.

Of course said quest was a hidden quest, optional and no one was forced into doing it. Guess you like your linearity and loremaster handed to you on a platter

In case we are on a different page...

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=1090

Quote Originally Posted by championknight View Post
    Not bugged at all, don't pull that from your tin foil hat. The quest worked as intended
    If it's still nearly impossible to do while the quest goes gray in your log (you're five levels over it) then it's bugged because it's massively overtuned. The colors are there to indicate what quests are appropriate for the players, and if the colors don't match then there is a bug in the game. Understand?

Guess you like your linearity and loremaster handed to you on a platter
    And you can shove your platter up your ass.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

If it's still nearly impossible to do while the quest goes gray in your log (you're five levels over it) then it's bugged because it's massively overtuned. The colors are there to indicate what quests are appropriate for the players, and if the colors don't match then there is a bug in the game. Understand?.
    Completed at level 28 all character classes, Hunter, Paladin, Priest and Mage easily cleared with no trouble

Rogue had to cheat slightly with engineer bombs, learnt how to properly switch form as a Druid and totems as a Shaman

Warlock had some trouble because blueberry's aggro holding wasn't so good and it died quite fast at the last stage

Warrior the hardest, had to go out to get a blue weapon in order to cleave them to death

So yeah, L2P or just move on to another quest

Completed at level 28 all character classes,
    So yeah, L2P or just move on to another quest
    Honestly, if a quest that turns gray at 29 is still hard at 28 it's bugged tuning. Green in quest log indicates that it should be easy.

That is not a sign of intentional hard-ness of leveling experience, but outright bugs in the leveling experience.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The Murloc camp northwest of Eastvale Logging Camp in Elwynn Forest. The horror.
    Pull one Murloc and it pulls the whole camp. My scariest experience ever without heirlooms or high enough level to unlock a heal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    And that's why they want it nearly removed?
    No, my guess is they don't want it to be mind numbingly boring.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

10+ Year Old Account
    No matter what, leveling first time 1 to 70 was the best time i ever had in my gaming experience.
    All that was after it was different, with the only good moments i recall is heroics of BC and starter raids (up to Ulduar) of Wrath. All other parts of wow have not left a trace in my memory so i guess they were crappy

Everybody will tell you it was "not hard". And in truth, no it wasn't.
    But the key point to keep in mind is that it wasn't hard COMPARED TO THE CRITERIA OF THE TIME. These criteria have changed, and today ? It would be considered borderline hardcore.

I would love to release the people making the usual canned answers into the depth of a Vanilla mine, and see how many times they would die before giving up or managing to get out
    No it wasn't hard - but at the time, dying against normal mosnter was considered "normal". Today it would be unthinkable - and hence compared to today, it WAS "hard".

Yes, I do remember.

Quote Originally Posted by ace94 View Post
    Those were the days...
    By hard of course I mean longer... it's not an IQ test.
    It was just a time sink. Very few people doing instances other than Deadmines, SM, or BRS. Running out of quests once you get beyond the level 30-40 range. Having huge zones with only one flight master at the very edge. No direct flight paths between many points. Quests that were bugged or gave no hint as to what to do. All that adds up to a lot of time doing nothing interesting.

Deleted
    "Yeah I remember way back when...back when the content ground to a shuddering, embarassed halt at about 50 and it became wold of grind dwarfs in the blasted lands. Yeah those were the days..."

Disregard nostalgia goggles.

It was never hard or even long to reach max level.

Well, I suppose that is relative. I've played some other games like Lineage 2 and those games made WoW look like a walk in the park.

when i started playing wow it was my first mmo so everything was new, and not hard. but since it was my first mmo it took a long time to reach max level i think i had around 40 days played before i reached lvl 60.

it still is hard, in a sense. by the time you reach level 6 you've either logged to another character, logged off completely, or are alt tabbed. it's horribly slow and boring.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    This thread is about 40 posts of carebears repeating eachother. If your not go an a anything at least use different words than the last guy.

Oh, and the 'tediousness', is called gameplay. It kept each toon more valuable since they couldn't be mass produced. But w.e, keep blowing through tons of content so you can farm the same faceroll content at max level for weeks.
    I feel you, man.

There were definitely challenging parts in leveling. Sneaking through small caves, trying not to pull too many mobs because 3+ mobs meant certain death for some classes. Having no idea where to do your quests, until you finally couldn't be bothered to search anymore and looked things up on Thottbot. Running - either mounted or on foot - through a pack of mobs and PRAYING that they wouldn't daze you, as that would mean the death of you or at the very least slow you down for a while. I remember taking time to farm certain items that would give me insane DPS boosts while leveling - Corpsemaker, Thrash Blade. I decked my 32 mage out in blues and enchanted every piece, and was proud of being able to do 130 DPS at that level where others only did 80.

Leveling these days just ain't the same. By the time I'm halfway through a zone all my quests are green, some even grey. Rarely do you stumble upon other players. Heirlooms and the time it takes to level these days (both with and without 'looms) made it redundant to farm special items. Call me nostalgic but I miss the tediousness. Made you appreciate your char a LOT more than it does today.

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    It was just a time sink. Very few people doing instances other than Deadmines, SM, or BRS. Running out of quests once you get beyond the level 30-40 range. Having huge zones with only one flight master at the very edge. No direct flight paths between many points. Quests that were bugged or gave no hint as to what to do. All that adds up to a lot of time doing nothing interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by madassa648 View Post
    "Yeah I remember way back when...back when the content ground to a shuddering, embarassed halt at about 50 and it became wold of grind dwarfs in the blasted lands. Yeah those were the days..."

Disregard nostalgia goggles.
    There was NEVER any time where you ran out of quests. Even when purposedly trying to avoid blue XP, you would still have entire zones untouched when you reached 60 without having grinded ever.

As usual, people using the retarded "nostalgia" cliché prove that they have no idea what they are talking about and just parrot the same canned answers they saw posted everywhere without regard for actual facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by hitandruntactic View Post
    No, I don't coz it was never hard to reach max level. Longer, no, its not either. It takes the same time to go from 1-90 as it did 1-70 in BC, provided you don't have heirlooms, guild perks, and numerous other passive xp boosters everyone tends to have these days.
    Completely wrong. It's already between three and four times quicker to reach max level in WotLK than it was in BC (starting from scratch without any help nor accelerated XP), and it has only became even quicker since then.

Deleted
    People chat about the old instances taking about 2 hours (or if you was insane, tried a full BRD clear which took about 6 hours + respawns Fun!*). Now days most folks who played back then have a job and after spending all day at the office you want to do something a bit more than spend 2 - 3 hours wiping in an instance to get just one thing at the end of it, assuming its not ninajed by the hunter who needs that caster ring to help with his mend pet (not bitter at all....)

take me for example. I finish work at 6, come in, get something to eat, have a shower etc, by then its about 7. I pop on wow, do a few instances and some dalies and then log off at about half 8 - 9 ish. 'Back in the good old days' which I lived through and still have a nervous tick when someone says 'BRD' to me, I'd come in, log on, spend 45 minutes looking for folks going to say...Stratholme living, then spend another 15 minutes travelling, then spend about 3 hours in the instance and get nothing else done that night.

fuck that noise.

Yes there were some good things about vanilla (old AV) and the fact it was all new, shiny and huge, but I prefer the game now. There's things like A story, you can actually see raids without having to join a huge souless raiding guild in the vain hope that your class leader that night won't just decide to use all his DKP points on MC drops to cheer himself up after his cat died, because fuck the rest of the rogues and the one fury warrior who needed daggers.

Vanilla was good for its time and it was enjoyable but the game is better now. If Blizz went 'you know what..fuck it. you want a vanilla server? Here you go!' and gave those who yowl and shriek like cats for Vanilla servers what they want they would flock to them and then give up in disgust, nostalgia goggles smashed and broken on the floor.

What people either forget or pointedly ignore is things like this

"Hi I'm a warrior, I use axes and swords to kill my enemes!" [Game] Pfft no you're a tank. "But..I don't want to be a tank..." [Game] See this tier gear? See those stats. You're a tank. Yeah same with you Priests and Druids, you're now healers and buff bitches, Pallys...hope you like buffing 40 people one at a time every 5 minutes...each one costing a reagent thats quite pricey.

Leveling professions. THE GRIND and the need for high level items. Leather workers for example needed drops off the trolls in Jintha'alor, an outside instance chocka block full of fast spawning elites who were from level 48 - 52. Elite. And you needed to go there when you was about level 45 if you had kept your profession up with your LW. Blacksmiths ended out needing to go to Silithus to make the phantom blade for example as there was the highest drop rate chances.

The horrible quest lay outs. Lets take the shaman quests for example to get your water totem. Ogrimmar, ratchet, southern barrens, ogrimmar, Undercity, Silverpine, tarren mill, silverpine, undercity, ogrimmar, ratchet quest done. At the end of this multi-hour long extravaganza where you had to RUN everywhere because you're in your 20's, have been torn apart by at least two Elite Sons of Arugal twice, gotten lost three times, blundered into the alliance farm and got torn apart there by packs of yolwing farmers, you get....a water totem. Woooooooooooooooo....I was SO glad when I finally did it. I didn't snarl 'is that fucking it!?' at the completion of that quest chain at all...

Vanilla by todays standards is shit. If blizz was derp enough to make vanilla servers for the whiners, they would be barren and empty within a few weeks.