Deleted

Which f2p MMORPG has the largest number of active players?

As title says. I'm bored of WoW, my sub cancelled and don't want to come back so I'm looking for good alternative for it.

PS: When you will answer you can also include B2P MMOs, but mark it in your post.

Deleted
    Not sure about who has the largest number of active players but

Runescape: Still has a huge number of players often 50k+ online at the same time, should result in a huge number of daily/weekly active
    players, the game has also become less grindy although it's mostly for members
    They also opened up old school runescape servers for those who don't like the new ones, and they also have a lot of players

Tera: Not quite sure how huge this is, but last time i played there were tons of people levelling

Rift: went f2p not long ago, haven't played it since, but it's a good game

Aion: i do rly like this game, but there are also a lot who think it's bad, you will prob have to try i out first (it "can" be very grindy, it also used to be, but they have added a lot of quests etc.)

Gw2 for B2P is the only one i know, it has some very good things, but can quickly get boring if you don't like pvp
    Last edited by mmocc06943eaac; 2013-08-04 at 12:43 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    If you're bored of WoW you'll simply be bored of every Theme park MMO out there. There isn't much difference or variety between them, the biggest differentiating factor between them is polish and combat smoothness, which WoW still seems to have the best of.
    a) Beeing precise: I'm bored of current state of WoW. overall, but especially graphic.
    b) "If you're bored of WoW you'll simply be bored of every Theme park MMO out there." not really. It's always something new. New world, new community, new (ok similar, but always partially new) combat system, new storyline. It doesn't say that i'm bored of MMOs, i'm bored of WoW. So i look for alternative.

When i am sick of WoW i spend some time in Aion. I always liked the theme of the game. A world shattered in two, angels, demons, beautiful places and lots of customization. I have no idea how the game is at the moment and how many players it has in each region and worldwide. Give it a try and see for yourself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xlightning View Post
    When i am sick of WoW i spend some time in Aion. I always liked the theme of the game. A world shattered in two, angels, demons, beautiful places and lots of customization. I have no idea how the game is at the moment and how many players it has in each region and worldwide. Give it a try and see for yourself.
    Aion is the best looking MMORPG on the market atm, and it's miles ahead of any other. Though Elder Scrolls is looking to take over that number 1 spot.

If Aion wasn't so grindy (it's also the most grindy MMORPG) I'd be playing that. The game is simply amazing on combat as well, I loved the chain abilities.

If anyone still plays Aion (f2p) would you mind sending me a PM, I'd love to know good the f2p model is atm.
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2013-08-04 at 01:34 PM.

We really can't be certain about any specific numbers regarding any of F2P MMOs. I'm pretty sure Rift is the biggest F2P game currently, though. SW:TOR may be high on the list as well, I recently started playing it any I can say the biggest hubs (Fleets and capitals) are really thriving. This wasn't the case with TERA/AION back when they just transited to F2P, there were hardly any max level players, and this should speak for itself - these games have no late game content. At the same time, AION was MUCH better than TERA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I read somewhere that Age of Wushu has like 20 million players or something. Though the majority are probably in China.

Deleted
    Age of Wushu is the f2p game with most active players, most of them from china and most of them botters probably.

If you want a more "WoW" stylish f2p you can look for Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Aion is the best looking MMORPG on the market atm, and it's miles ahead of any other. Though Elder Scrolls is looking to take over that number 1 spot.

If Aion wasn't so grindy (it's also the most grindy MMORPG) I'd be playing that. The game is simply amazing on combat as well, I loved the chain abilities.

If anyone still plays Aion (f2p) would you mind sending me a PM, I'd love to know good the f2p model is atm.
    Are you joking? Aion is the best looking MMO on the market? Does your computer have some rare PC virus where every other game looks like shit but Aion? Because that's the way I can see anyone making that statement.

If you are just tired of wow but still like the game play and such, try Rift. Its about the same as wow with a few little differences but is a different setting/world/etc. Its a nice game to level up and check out and has a decent population. You also cant wrong with GW2 as its buy to play and when you get bored you can always go back later on without having to resub.

Deleted
    Why does everyone forget about lord of the rings online
    Still very active and Helm's Deep expansion in the next few months

Deleted
    If you're bored of WoW then you're most likely not going to like any other MMO nearly as much as you did WoW, since most are in some way the same. No one can compete with 9 years worth of end-game. You'll most likely end up enjoying any other MMO for a short amount of time, because it looks new and different. But in the end you'll get bored of it rather fast.

Here's what I suggest:
    - Play any MMO you decide to go with in a 'different' way. Don't rush to max level, enjoy the content. You won't get bored of the game as fast.
    - Don't play an MMO. Try different games (LoL / DotA?)

Deleted
    Well any big "AAA MMO" that went F2P or was F2P has big enough playerbase to play with. I mean, they are not some random "google ad throwaway mmo that no one ever heard about"
    Back in my "starting realm" in wow, theres now 20 people in ogrimmar in friday at 6 pm when it used to be packed full in catas start or whole wrath. Most F2P games have more than that obviously.
    But comparing high pop wow realms to F2P games might disappoint slightly. See what I mean?

Bigger games, mostly in my opinion but..

Planetside 2 - MMOFPS
    LoL / Dota 2 - "Moba".. I know, not MMO but has lot of players.
    Age of Wushu - If you play on chinese servers then theres massive amounts of people. No idea about western amount
    Guild Wars 2 - Buy to play. But has good amount of people to play still. No promises on the amount and will you like it tho (if you like massive wintergrasp that goes on forever and pvp you can jump at start of the game and get max level, gear and skills (not gear based and all that)).
    Runescape - goes without saying..

Rift, Aion, Tera, (Swtor) and all those F2P games will have enough people to play with to have fun but I cant really say do they have "packed servers" or something.

Then some "smaller" ones but with active enough base:
    Warframe (not mmo but "co-op pve with guilds")
    Phantasy star online 2 (Japanese, use english patch)
    Secret world
    DC universe online

Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    Gw2 for B2P is the only one i know, it has some very good things, but can quickly get boring if you don't like pvp
    The Secret World is also B2P

The secret world is a nice b2p game, the quests are different and cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guild Wars 2 is B2P and currently has 2.5 million players. Only available in NA & EU atm.
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Guild Wars 2 is B2P and currently has 2.5 million players. Only available in NA & EU atm.
    Any source? The only information i found is that it's got 3 millions coppies sold (well, it is pretty big amount so i can even believe that's got so many players).

Quote Originally Posted by maestrino View Post
    As title says. I'm bored of WoW, my sub cancelled and don't want to come back so I'm looking for good alternative for it.

PS: When you will answer you can also include B2P MMOs, but mark it in your post.
    irrelevant to your question, but try Final Fantasy XIV. Its a theme pack MMO with FF flavor, so if you happen to like FF in general you WILL love it.

You could try Neverwinter? I dabbled in it a bit whenever I was on my WoW break, and PvP as well as PvE are actually really fun and challenging in that game. I don't play it anymore really, and I don't know how well it's doing, but from what I experienced, its a very different experience from the typical WoW-Style MMO, and is a bit more complex in ways, using a crosshair so that you have to target your spells on enemies etc, instead of using a tab targetting system.

For B2P - GW2 atm is very successful imo. It has a steady 3 million players (somewhere in that range anyways), which is actually quite a lot for the MMO market, considering WoW has pretty much dominated for quite a while, and many other MMOs that have went against it have failed to upkeep their P2P strategy (Rift, SWTOR etc.). GW2 is quite different from MMOs also, and the battle system feels very quick and alive, and you have to be quick to react to certain things, especially at endgame content. There is a bit of PvE, and it mainly involves farming for a legendary or doing dungeons to get your gold + tokens for gear etc, and most gear differs cosmetically, meaning that a lot of gear is quite unique. It's pretty rare to see 2 players running around in the exact same gearset, unless its full dungeon gear. The game is mainly dominated by PvP however, and thats where the competitiveness comes in, so if that's what your interested in, it can't be worth spending the £30 - £40 (not sure how much it is atm).