Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I laughed more than I should have.
    Statix will suffice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Not really. Some people just like shit to be simple. I owned an iPhone for quite some time then got a Blackberry and then an Android. The simplicity that the iPhones offered was nice.
    The common mis-conception about Android is that it's complicated , it can be as simple as you want it to be and as complicated as you would want it easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoryTee View Post
    The common mis-conception about Android is that it's complicated , it can be as simple as you want it to be and as complicated as you would want it easily.
    And doesn't have the out of the box polish that an i-device does. I've owned both. I've customized the crap out of my android tablet. I still prefer the simplicity of the iPhone, and the knowledge that all the apps have been QC'd prior to even showing up in the app store.

Plus, I'm fairly heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem now, and I don't want to lose all my apps, songs, cloud services, etc. if I switch.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    And doesn't have the out of the box polish that an i-device does. I've owned both. I've customized the crap out of my android tablet. I still prefer the simplicity of the iPhone, and the knowledge that all the apps have been QC'd prior to even showing up in the app store.

Plus, I'm fairly heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem now, and I don't want to lose all my apps, songs, cloud services, etc. if I switch.

I have had an S5 , HTC ONE M8 , Iphone 5's and Sony Xperia Z2.

I think the Iphone 5's was probably my least favourite , unimpressive all round comparing them with the features the other phones offered.

I think Apples customer service is the best in the business , their marketing? Next to none. Their actual product...ehhh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Youre not wrong but with Android a non tech savvy person is face with tons of launchers, features, etc. from one device to another - even if they keep everything stock.

Apple's approach is sort of to guide people s exposure to tech and features. They only introduce new tech and features when it's relatively stable and "idiot proof" . They don't allow as much customization and freedom so that there are less things to break. Some people like that. Android tends to get features first and is a lot more customizable but at the risk of its features being unstable or bit user friendly. The average Android user probably understands half of what their phone can do

I say this as someone who is a die hard Android user.

The iPhone is a smartphone for people who don't really need a smartphone (there are exceptions).

10+ Year Old Account
    I have had an S5 , HTC ONE M8 , Iphone 5's and Sony Xperia Z2.

I think the Iphone 5's was probably my least favourite , unimpressive all round comparing them with the features the other phones offered.

I think Apples customer service is the best in the business , their marketing? Next to none. Their actual product...ehhh.
    Sure, everyone has different tastes. But calling a smartphone for beginners is just insulting to people who have used a wide variety of smartphones and find that we prefer the iPhone.

It's kind of a funny situation that's always happened with Apple since the early Macs, where Apple users are loudly proud of their own products but largely ignore other products, while users of other products are hypercritical of anything Apple and sit there smug in their status quo.

Deleted
    I've never actually had a flip phone...

What have i missed out on?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, everyone has different tastes. But calling a smartphone for beginners is just insulting to people who have used a wide variety of smartphones and find that we prefer the iPhone.

It's kind of a funny situation that's always happened with Apple since the early Macs, where Apple users are loudly proud of their own products but largely ignore other products, while users of other products are hypercritical of anything Apple and sit there smug in their status quo.
    I think Apple's laptops are great , their phones? Shite.

Apple can make good products , I just don't see their phone line as one of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Zaitsev View Post
    I've never actually had a flip phone...

What have i missed out on?!
    Absolutely nothing.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

I can't say I understand the nostalgia for mediocre products of yesteryear.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand that you're not declaring that true for everyone, but I'm typing this on an iMac that I spent a lot of money on, I'm probably buying an Air in a the next couple weeks, and I think iPhones are just plain mediocre relative to their competitors and generally overpriced. The one thing I will say for them is that there's not a lot of granularity in the markets - all of the phones (including iPhones) are perfectly capable of doing everything that 99% of consumers would want from them, so being a big fanboy or hater for any phone line doesn't make a great deal of sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not only were they cool but they were much more durable than these smartphones and you didn't have to go through the hassle of updating the software on it. Minor but still a pain in the ass. Like you said, they all look the same and have pretty much the same functions. The old flip phones was really all you needed too. I mean helpful apps like Google Maps and other apps of the sort are very helpful and all but you could just do that stuff on your computer or just use a GPS in place of Google Maps.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2014-06-03 at 11:32 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    Not only were they cool but they were much more durable than these smartphones and you didn't have to go through the hassle of updating the software on it. Minor but still a pain in the ass. Like you said, they all look the same and have pretty much the same functions. The old flip phones was really all you needed too. I mean helpful apps like Google Maps and other apps of the sort are very helpful and all but you could just do that stuff on your computer or just use a GPS in place of Google Maps.
    Well that's just not true. My old flip phones from the 90s and early 2000s were always breaking. I was lucky if a flip phone would last a year before the cheap plastic flip hinge decided to snap, or the screen broke, or the internal guts just decided to give up, or the battery fastener snapped off, or any number of other things.

Pretty much the only thing you can do to a smart phone is break the screen or drop it in water, both of which are totally avoidable.

Not only were they cool but they were much more durable than these smartphones
    That seems wrong, but even if it's true, it's irrelevant as planned obsolesce is valid in the phone world. No reasonable person is sad that they can't still use Windows Millenium, yet we have people that want phones to last a decade.
    and you didn't have to go through the hassle of updating the software on it.
    What phone are you using? This isn't a hassle at all.
    The old flip phones was really all you needed too. I mean helpful apps like Google Maps and other apps of the sort are very helpful and all but you could just do that stuff on your computer or just use a GPS in place of Google Maps.
    Are you shitting me? You see no valid use for having GPS with me at all times, having Yelp in my pocket, being able to figure out sports trivia on the fly, read news from anywhere, have my B.net authenticator available, and have access to all podcasts and music at all times? Jesus, this is like saying that laptops are pretty useless in a world where typewriters already existed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, this is a first.

A thread where I agree with Orlong not only once, but multiple times!

Flip phones are great for flipping

Smartphones are great for cameras, facebook, google maps, flash light, radio, Reddit, games (for free time at work), youtube, Chipotle, weather, wikipedia, banking, insurance, netflix, GPS . . .

Of all those things my flippy flip phone of days past had only a camera, and maybe Snake if you want to add a game.

My phone is protected by a $2 bumper case, I've dropped it onto hard pavement multiple times with no damage. It is very durable. No cracks, no scratches.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    What phone are you using? This isn't a hassle at all.
    My iPhone is like "I have a new update!"

And I'm like "sure!"

So I update, restart the phone. Five minutes, if that. Done. No hassle.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    My iPhone is like "I have a new update!"

And I'm like "sure!"

So I update, restart the phone. Five minutes, if that. Done. No hassle.
    Yeah, but good luck flipping it during that time.

Deleted
    If you're talking about the same razer phone I had (can't remember it's full name) then hell. fucking. yes. That was one of the best phones I ever had, there's just something undeniably satisfying about ending a call and flipping it shut.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back in the day if you lost you flip phone then you were just out of a voice communication device. Now if a lot of people lose their smartphone their life halts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Are you shitting me? You see no valid use for having GPS with me at all times, having Yelp in my pocket, being able to figure out sports trivia on the fly, read news from anywhere, have my B.net authenticator available, and have access to all podcasts and music at all times? Jesus, this is like saying that laptops are pretty useless in a world where typewriters already existed.
    No, I think you greatly misunderstood what I said. I did say having a GPS app on your phone was useful but like I said you could just buy an actual GPS if you need directions to somewhere. Everything else you included like the sports trivia thing is something you don't NEED but is fun to have. That's what I was trying to say. Reading news, your B.net authenticator and having access to your podcasts and music are also things you don't really NEED but just little things that are fun to have. The only necessary thing you need on your phone are the actual important parts which is pretty much just calling, texting and if you don't have your own GPS then apps like Google maps would be pretty important as well. Everything else is just for entertainment purposes they are not things you absolutely need on the road like you do with calling, texting, and the GPS apps. It's more of just convenience rather than necessities.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I think you greatly misunderstood what I said. I did say having a GPS app on your phone was useful but like I said you could just buy an actual GPS if you need directions to somewhere. Everything else you included like the sports trivia thing is something you don't NEED but is fun to have. That's what I was trying to say. Reading news, your B.net authenticator and having access to your podcasts and music are also things you don't really NEED but just little things that are fun to have. The only necessary thing you need on your phone are the actual important parts which is pretty much just calling, texting and if you don't have your own GPS then apps like Google maps would be pretty important as well. Everything else is just for entertainment purposes they are not things you absolutely need on the road like you do with calling, texting, and the GPS apps. It's more of just convenience rather than necessities.
    The phone itself is a convenience, not a necessity. I'd like to fit as many "nice to haves" in one device that I can comfortably fit in my pocket as is possible. I don't want to also have to carry around a GPS, a calculator, an MP3 player, a streaming video player, a portable gaming console, an e-reader, etc, etc. Why do that, when I can get it all in one convenient device?