Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I am totally on the other side of things. I prefer the investigative and emergent style of GW2's stories. I much prefer what I learn about the world's people, characters and history through listening to NPC conversations that don't care if I'm there or not, or wandering into something like Oola's lab to see what became of her and Livia's work.

I also feel MMOs should realize you aren't the hero, because there's just too many heroes doing the same thing. GW2 doesn't do what I'd do if I were in charge of story for an MMO, but it leans more that way. If everyone is saving the world then there's no main hero. Everyone is just a soldier, so MMOs should look more towards the nameless soldier narrative. Trahearne aside, it's really about the personal exploits of your character and their history with locality that is the interesting narrative path in a MMO. I liked finding my Asuran's childhood desk in an academy building in Metrica Province. I'd rather return to my Charr's story with his father than go lead the fight on Zhaitain. I'd rather reform Westfall than fight Garrosh.

There was one particular Silvari story that I really liked and was quite disappointed that it ended. I doubt anything else will become of it as well even though I thought it was pretty cool.

I agree with not always being the hero. Honestly, I prefer being a mercenary. :P

I actually really enjoyed most of the personal story for every race up until Claw Island, that's when everything went to Hell (IMO).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I agree with not always being the hero. Honestly, I prefer being a mercenary. :P

I actually really enjoyed most of the personal story for every race up until Claw Island, that's when everything went to Hell (IMO).
    I said that many years ago in 2 or 3 other threads. I HATE being "THE ONE AND ONLY HERO THAT SAVES THE DAY and the apple pie". I dislike it in the most single player games and i really really hate it in MMO games because it just doesnt work there in my opinion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post

Almost everyone hates the story after Claw Island. Its not overly bad but they screwed enough in two ways: Overdoing the Risen and that asshat Trahearne. Plus the absence of a couple of likeable characters.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pion View Post
    I said that many years ago in 2 or 3 other threads. I HATE being "THE ONE AND ONLY HERO THAT SAVES THE DAY and the apple pie". I dislike it in the most single player games and i really really hate it in MMO games because it just doesnt work there in my opinion
    The story doesn't agree with itself. Its supposed to be the Pact defeating Zhaitan as group, which they tell pretty well at times. Then it becomes Trahearne saves everyone but its actually you and he takes all the credit...

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Almost everyone hates the story after Claw Island. Its not overly bad but they screwed enough in two ways: Overdoing the Risen and that asshat Trahearne. Plus the absence of a couple of likeable characters.

- - - Updated - - -

The story doesn't agree with itself. Its supposed to be the Pact defeating Zhaitan as group, which they tell pretty well at times. Then it becomes Trahearne saves everyone but its actually you and he takes all the credit...
    I agree, don't like that fig leaf either. Up until he joined the story was pretty cool, they still needed the infighting to keep things interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pion View Post
    I dislike it in the most single player games and i really really hate it in MMO games because it just doesnt work there in my opinion
    I can deal with it in single player (though it's still an overdone theme), but it definitely does not work in MMOs.

Trahearne actually didn't bother me anywhere near as much as he did others. Probably because I was too busy being shocked that I wasn't #1 on the totem pole like usual. Besides, he was the only continuity I had in the personal story since they killed off everyone else. :P

The whole Risen thing though, ugh. Incidentally, I love how that was such a huge focus of the personal story and they've just left Orr to rot (figuratively and literally) ever since. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the current Living Story is not going to culminate in revitalizing Orr, just a guess. :P

Revitalizing Orr was sort of the point of Trahearne, it's his wild hunt and all that. Maybe it won't work, maybe the Pale Tree is also some kind of ancient evil and her intention is to control the corrupted lands and not restore them, who knows. They will certainly do something with it.

I just hope I can find a group for that last bit of the story soon, I'm getting worried it will go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    GW1 lore was okay. But it told it's story (stories) fantastically. The game had a kind of breakneck pace of storytelling that wrapped you up in the lore and gameplay. In fact, the gameplay was the lore. Utterly brilliant, Miyamoto/Jarvis/Garroit level of game design.

In allowing players to self discover the lore and world events in GW2, there is something altogether lukewarm about the story/lore presentation. It's not "bad" or to a degree worse than GW1.

Yet if GW1's material was excelled by presentation, the reverse is true in GW2 I feel. The method of presentation in GW2 just doesn't do the lore/story any favors. Despite how gorgeous the world actually is in aesthetics.

Subjective opinion, of course.
    Yeah, it's a pity that so many ppl had problem with getting into GW1 ... I feel that in effort to overcome that GW2 lost a lot of the GW charm. Both the story and the skill system feels better in GW1.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

The issue with it for me, was more to do with NPC's and agro/damage. They AI isn't great and they'd either run off and die, or stand there while I have everyone beating on me.

So yeah, it felt like I'm doing everything while Trahearne whines and gets credit...