Hello all. I am not quite sure if I should post this in the general forum instead but I guess here is as good as any.

I was wondering why it seems everyone is in the 'First is best' mindset that seems to be so popular among people nowadays.
For example, fanboys claiming Starcraft 1 was better than 2. Of course everyone thinking so is entitled to their opinion, and maaany would say they're right. Who am I to tell them they're wrong? But then comments about how the story in the sequel sucked, how it wasn't innovative and how Blizzard just cares about making money.

Now, not everyone likes the story, fine. But everyone seems so intent on holding on to that first thing that came! Of course Blizzard cares about their story, I found the story of SC2 really fun and interesting. Same thing goes with WoW.
Now, like many of the players that started in Vanilla or TBC I too started playing then. I fell in love with the game in Vanilla and I miss it too. I played throughout TBC, Wrath and all the way to MoP. Yet I find the story of MoP and how the game is now to be fun and interesting still.

Is all of this a result of people not handling change? I remember Vanilla well, it was challenging yes but it was also lacking a lot. Quests in many zones, skill/talent choices and the graphics weren't exactly top notch. Many talent trees were useless for most classes, for many there was really only one way to go (Talking to fellow paladins here). The Graphics were good enough back then, and even though Blizzard has held on to the cartoon-ish style for which Warcraft is known for, things are really looking much better than before.

I see many folks posting about how MoP sucks because of pandas, bad story (even though the story is amazing, and 'War' has never been so evident in the game than it is now) and so on. I get that they miss that first feel from Vanilla and TBC. I do too, I miss the fresh feeling I used to have, but I doubt Old-time servers (which many are requesting) is gonna change that.

I bet those servers would be really popular for a few months, but then players would see how much the game was lacking back then. Whats gone is gone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now up till now I have made it all about Warcraft, but there are other things as well. I absolutely hate reading about how people say the Star Wars prequels sucked. Yea I know, Phantom menace wasn't exactly star quality, but the story and the conclusion (Episode III) was awesome. Yet it seems that people think that ... okay if you're gonna be a true Star Wars fan you gotta hate episode 1-3 and love only the others.

Episode 4,5,6 were amazing, but they are a little humorous to watch, with the dolls and all :P But reading about people aged 14-25 hating the first three episodes is just hilarious. It's like they're holding a fake face when discussing it with fellow fans, because you just know they loved the CGI battles in the prequels!

Older people I can understand. Especially those who grew up with the comics and the Original episodes. Its nostalgia and new may seem foreign

It's seems like its two-fold. One part where people can't deal with change, they miss the nostalgic moments which they learned to love Starcraft , Warcraft and other things. Which is why they may get disappointed when they don't get that feeling from the newer content. Yet how they actively have to push that negativity into others is beyond me. Spending their own free time to spread the hate for a game they don't even play anymore. Or perhaps they still are playing WoW but they like to complain about it as well.

The other part is the more annoying one. The one where its 'popular' ('hip' if you may. disgusting word I know) to follow the stream of negativity. To get in the mindset that makes you dislike the changes and the newer things.

I am sorry for bringing this little piece into the topic, but its like Justin bieber. Now, I don't like his music, but I don't listen to it. I couldn't care less about the guy, but I'm glad others enjoy him. But then came the wave of Hate which became popular with just about everyone who wasn't a fan of him. People who didn't even know his music followed the stream because it was popular to hate. I seriously could not understand why some person every friggin time had to talk about him in a music video on youtube, in which he had nothing to do with. Actively spending their own free time to spread hate (which also meant spreading the guys fame).

My ex used to put his music on for her friends and ask if they liked it. When they said yes she revealed the truth and they flipped out :P

Anyway, it's like... if you don't like it, why use so much energy to bother?

The nostalgia thing I can understand ,but using your time to do something depressing as to spread hate? About music, movies, games and companies. Its just beyond me.

Alright, this has been an incredibly long rant about 'First is best' and hatespreading. If anyone actually reads this topic I wouldn't be surprised to get some haters in the mix (towards the subjects mentioned).

Whats your thought on the first is best thing?