Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gorocz View Post
    What's there to say? Is there anything we don't know about it anymore? If I'm not mistaken, apart from which realms are exactly gonna be grouped (and even there, we know that overpopulation and faction balance are taken into account), we know everything there is to know, don't we?
    How do I mail to players from another realm? How can I invite them to my guild? What servers will be joined? Does it mean we can use BoA items across several servers? Will CRZ be disabled? How will "Realm first" achievments work? Will custom chat channels work across several servers? Can we have 50 chars on one virtual server?

They have announced a blog entry to clarify things up several weeks ago, but there's been silence since. So they are either busy with other things, or there are still unsolved technical problems with virtual realms, and they are not sure yet if they can introduce them with 5.4 at all or at least with all the announced features.

They've said they were going to give us a nice juicy post describing how it would work in detail. God knows when that's coming. I'm looking forward to reading it, but trying to not hope too hard for crossrealm heirloom support (finally).
    Look! Words!

So, virtual realms are being brought in, but it's been renamed, and has no more information than we already have.
    "This is my story,
    It'll go the way I want,
    Or I'll end it here!" - Tidus (FFX)

my biggest questions is this if the realms are connected does that mean I could transfer Heirlooms over to the connected realm?
    Cause my current Realm list is Full of 90's and I really want to level new characters.Has there been any confirmation on this if not I might have to skip on over to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Shroud View Post
    my biggest questions is this if the realms are connected does that mean I could transfer Heirlooms over to the connected realm?
    Cause my current Realm list is Full of 90's and I really want to level new characters.
    Should be possible since you will be able to send regular mail cross them as well. The current mail system is sadly the only thing stopping us from sending heirlooms across all servers, they've said ever since Wrath that they were looking into it but that it was rather difficult to fix.

Should also be possible to have more than one character with the same name, for as long as they are on different servers within the connected servers.

What I'm curious about is if it will affect all realms, only low pop, etc. Being on a nice size realm with (I think) a good A:H ratio I don't even think Virtual Realms will affect Turalyon. I'd love to see them curb the Horde-dominated PVP servers by pushing them with Alliance-dominated PVP servers to balance things out.
    NOBLESHIELD
    <Meliora> of Turalyon-US
    Raids & Dungeons Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tidus4eva View Post
    So, virtual realms are being brought in, but it's been renamed, and has no more information than we already have.
    Did you read the blue? You have basically all the information you could want. It's quite a simple concept that entails few things but they all have huge effects.

In short, it is absolutely identical to a server merge except the original realms will still exist on the realm selection sheet - and to avoid name problems, those not from your server will have an * next to their name and a realm name as well.

So I play on Hellfire - say we got connected with Ghostlands and Auchindoun. Everyone on those 3 realms would be able to see everyone in that area from all 3 realms, at all times. They would share an Auctions House, gathering nodes, mobs, guilds, arena teams, everything. As if they were all 1 realm. The only thing marking players from a server different from your own is an *, and that * won't stop them from doing anything you couldn't with someone without the *.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    Should be possible since you will be able to send regular mail cross them as well. The current mail system is sadly the only thing stopping us from sending heirlooms across all servers, they've said ever since Wrath that they were looking into it but that it was rather difficult to fix.

Should also be possible to have more than one character with the same name, for as long as they are on different servers within the connected servers.
    Ah didn't know they had mail merged too,should be good then.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Did you read the blue? You have basically all the information you could want. It's quite a simple concept that entails few things but they all have huge effects.

In short, it is absolutely identical to a server merge except the original realms will still exist on the realm selection sheet - and to avoid name problems, those not from your server will have an * next to their name and a realm name as well.

So I play on Hellfire - say we got connected with Ghostlands and Auchindoun. Everyone on those 3 realms would be able to see everyone in that area from all 3 realms, at all times. They would share an Auctions House, gathering nodes, mobs, guilds, arena teams, everything. As if they were all 1 realm. The only thing marking players from a server different from your own is an *, and that * won't stop them from doing anything you couldn't with someone without the *.
    Actually it's an # for connected servers. The * is used for people from other realms you meet through cross realm, dungeons, scenarios etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah didn't know they had mail merged too sounds good.
    Auction House, mail, Guilds, everything. The connected servers are pretty much merged into one, permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    Auction House, mail, Guilds, everything. The connected servers are pretty much merged into one, permanently.
    They actually have not said mail, explicitly. I would hope so and it'd make sense, but they haven't said that.
    Look! Words!

Well, blue post on front page now. Saying after 5.4. I knew that was why they were keeping it hush hush. They have no clue when it will be put in. Until they know for sure when, they won't give the details we want.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    It's been working so well they havn't realy had to talk about it.

To add, the dance studio was a joke and still remains a joke. People still can't believe that for some reason.
    Dance studio was a ridiculous and very "unWarcraft" joke of a feature that deserved to get shelved but people would rather bitch and moan about playable pandas in game than having their existing toons play "You Got Served" with each other in capital cities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind/Dæmion/Tobirama/Ophanim
    Diablo 3 Profile

so if they keep the realms different... does that mean you can have 11 in each realm, but have a total of 33 on that connected server?
    high pop servers get the short stick, stuck at 11 charecters, while low pop servers that get connected together you can have up to 33?
    kinda unfair.

Edit: 33 being if they connected 3 servers together of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Well, blue post on front page now. Saying after 5.4. I knew that was why they were keeping it hush hush. They have no clue when it will be put in. Until they know for sure when, they won't give the details we want.
    It should start relatively small, maybe just a couple of realms to see if there are any bugs surfaced. And they they'll gradually add things on. I imagine part of it is to get the patch/raid launched, get past the first few days of daily hotfixes and then start up.

But it will be small at first, few people will be affected right away while they gradually increase the loading. Leading people to think that it's all going to happen on day one of 5.4 when it clearly isn't and never was is a bad thing. I'm quite sure they have 'a clue'. Not sharing it with us is probably smart.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

Quote Originally Posted by Alenoria View Post
    so if they keep the realms different... does that mean you can have 11 in each realm, but have a total of 33 on that connected server?
    high pop servers get the short stick, stuck at 11 charecters, while low pop servers that get connected together you can have up to 33?
    kinda unfair.

Edit: 33 being if they connected 3 servers together of course.
    Do you seriously need 33 friggin' toons? Good Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    People always seem to find a way to twist the words... The post says:

"In Patch 5.4, we’re looking to address this with a new feature called Connected Realms."

That plainly states it will be in the 5.4 timeframe. They are saying after 5.4 drops because they aren't going to switch it on the day of the patch (imagine fighting patch bugs plus Connected Realms bugs at the same time). I think most people agree it would be wiser to connect realms slowly than to try to throw them all together at the same time the same day as a patch. I'm sure they have "a clue" as to when it happen, they just don't ever give dates anymore because people skewer them if they're even a day late for the most minor change.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfròst View Post
    22 sounds high enough to me......for now.

They're probably waiting until they're sure it's going to come with 5.4 to finally make the blog post about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfròst View Post
    33 Profession CDs. Don't need them, but that's pretty damn viable.
    In honor of all the kids bringing up my avatar:
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Wow, for someone with a trollface avatar, you are pretty bad at this.

22 sounds high enough to me......for now.
    I can understand having one of each class. Maybe even one of each class for each faction. That's 22. But beyond that? Seriously, get a life.

Edit: Not directed at you, Shroud. :3