Thread: Newly Dinged

Deleted

Newly Dinged

I dinged Lvl 90 2 days ago, and decided to go Arcane. But i've noticed that while the rotation is kinda easy, there is so much to look out for. Arcane Power,Charges,Rune of Power, Presence of Mind. Is Frost, or even Fire easier to play then Arcane? I know that Fire is only good at higher gear levels, but i assume in the next patch, you can get decent geared for Fire even by doing LFR only.

Well it depends I would say. With Frost you also have to watch your Cooldowns (Orb + Icy Veins). You have to keep up Invocation. You should get rid of your procs as fast as possible and plan your movement a little bit, because you don't have very much to cast while running (just your procs and maybe ice floes).

Everybody should watch procs so this is nothing that separates you from other DDs. In this context you maybe sometimes want to refresh your mage bomb a little earlier. Especially if you've got a haste proc.

Deleted
    All specs in the game (not only mage) require at least a minimal effort and playtime so that you can become efficient with them. 2 days of play will not make you comfortable with the spec of your choice be it arcane, fire or frost. You need to invest more time in the spec, then invest time in another one and so on.

Deleted
    Arcane Power and PoM are cooldowns. They are no more hard to track than any other long cooldown in the game.

Arcane Charges are apart of your rotation but the concept isn;t hard. Build up charges by using Missiles/Blast and spent them on Barrage. That is simple.

Rune of Power, yes it is tedious and annoying but having to cast a spell every 1 minute isn't hard.

Arcane is the easiest spec in terms of 'things to look out for' as you put it. In your standard rotation all you need to do is watch for Missile Procs and track your Arcane Charges both of which are simple.

With fire you have to track Rune of Power (Or equivalent) Heating up and Hotstreak procs. Track Inferno Blast for 100 percent of the time to know when you can use it to change a heating up to Pyro proc. You also need to track Living Bomb (or equivalent) Track Combustion, PoM and Alter Time to know when you can burst. Track ignite damage for optimal Combustion usage and as with any DPS class. Monitor and track your trinket internal cooldowns to do optimal DPS.

Frost is a bit more as a proc based reaction class. You spam Frostbolt and react to the procs that pop up on your screen. Playing Frost at an average level is easy. You just cast things as they proc. It gets slightly more difficult to play at an advanced level. Like knowing when to wait to use your procs and pet management. Also Frost still required you to track your level 90 talents, Frost Bomb and Frost Orb. With Icy Veins, On Use trinket and Alter Time as your cooldowns.

IMO Frost and Fire are the most fun specs in the game. Arcane is terrible. You don't suddenly become better by switching specs and going for an easier rotation. You become better by practice. I suggest you play around with all 3 specs. See which suits you and practice that spec. You can always switch spec at a later date if your guild requires it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthThrall View Post
    IMO Frost and Fire are the most fun specs in the game. Arcane is terrible. You don't suddenly become better by switching specs and going for an easier rotation. You become better by practice. I suggest you play around with all 3 specs. See which suits you and practice that spec. You can always switch spec at a later date if your guild requires it.
    Actually, I find Fire incredibly NOT fun since my gear isn't great, and I just got bored with Frost after a while (might try again when Icicles are live), so I went Arcane yesterday and am enjoying it. Granted, my main is a healer so I was looking for something that runs itself somewhat since as a healer you don't often get the chance to just sit back and fire away for a minute without five random emergencies popping up.

With fire you have to track Rune of Power (Or equivalent) Heating up and Hotstreak procs. Track Inferno Blast for 100 percent of the time to know when you can use it to change a heating up to Pyro proc. You also need to track Living Bomb (or equivalent) Track Combustion, PoM and Alter Time to know when you can burst. Track ignite damage for optimal Combustion usage and as with any DPS class. Monitor and track your trinket internal cooldowns to do optimal DPS.
    You are playing fire incorrectly if you need to track Blast to gain a HS! You should only need to use Blast at the very start and occasionally if you get a streak of no crits and need to use the Pyro before time runs out. You just bank the HS! until you gain a Heating Up, then cast a Fireball and the Pyro at the same time. If one of the 2 crits, then it counts towards the HS! proc.
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Promark View Post
    You are playing fire incorrectly if you need to track Blast to gain a HS! You should only need to use Blast at the very start and occasionally if you get a streak of no crits and need to use the Pyro before time runs out. You just bank the HS! until you gain a Heating Up, then cast a Fireball and the Pyro at the same time. If one of the 2 crits, then it counts towards the HS! proc.
    Yes. I am doing it wrong because I track a spell that is vital to the fire spec in current gear levels.

All I see there is a paragraph of nonsense. It really grinds my gears when people just spout out random 'facts and numbers' on forums when a guy is just asking for help. People will read your paragraph and think it is true and start playing how you tell them. Then all of a sudden you got 200 Fire mages who read your post running around doing sub optimal DPS. Then they will inevitably end up back here making a 'Fix my DPS' thread. Where some other guy responds with more useless facts and numbers and the cycle starts all over again.

I understand sometimes with good RNG you may not need to use Inferno Blast for large chunks of the fight. But with current crit levels in BiS gear you still need to use Inferno Blast frequently to do optimal DPS.

Yes. I am doing it wrong because I track a spell that is vital to the fire spec in current gear levels.

All I see there is a paragraph of nonsense. It really grinds my gears when people just spout out random 'facts and numbers' on forums when a guy is just asking for help. People will read your paragraph and think it is true and start playing how you tell them. Then all of a sudden you got 200 Fire mages who read your post running around doing sub optimal DPS. Then they will inevitably end up back here making a 'Fix my DPS' thread. Where some other guy responds with more useless facts and numbers and the cycle starts all over again.

I understand sometimes with good RNG you may not need to use Inferno Blast for large chunks of the fight. But with current crit levels in BiS gear you still need to use Inferno Blast frequently to do optimal DPS.
    It really grinds my gears when people spout off about how other people don't know what they are talking about when the irony is they themselves are doing that exact thing. He said occasionally, which is technically true seeing how neither of you gave numbers. With Pyroblast! sitting at a static ~85% crit (not taking into account trinket procs for additional int) you could very well not have to use IB no more then 10-15 times a fight. But to the OP if you are at all worried about good output in raids I would not go arcane till you have T15 4pc and some heroic gear. At your ilvl I would go frost, it's a great spec and easy to manage and you will do much better with it then fire till the mid 530 ilvls. As was posted you just spam Frostbolt, use Ice lance and FFB procs, use orb on CD, keep bomb and invo up and macro Veins to Alter Time. Again if you doing really care that much about your damage output then you can got Incanters Ward and try to get good up time with it. It is a faster playing more reactive spec but pretty self explanatory.

Touchy much? I believe he was asking about gear at the SoO LFR level, so my reply isn't a paragraph of nonsense. I myself was using Blast after each crit to gain a HS!, which is a pain to track. Once I found out a better way, it became much easier and I wish someone would have told me sooner. And what numbers are you talking about?
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

The hardest part about arcane is RoP, the worst mechanic in the history of gaming.

Frost and Fire I would say are about equal in terms of complexity. At low gear levels tho, you almost have to go frost because fire at low crit is not only bad dps, it's really not very fun. You may want to consider sticking with arcane, or going arcane/frost for your dual spec and seeing which you like better.