Thread: Threat Issues

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Threat Issues

The Problem
    Over the weekend my alt DK tank ran normal ToT up to Ji Kun. I'm 501 equipped now, but at that point I was 486 and running with a 503 Prot Warrior. It seemed that no matter what I did, I couldn't touch him on threat - he was always way ahead of me. It wasn't an issue since I was well above DPS, so it's not like it was detrimental to the group. It was just a noticeable difference to me.

My Playstyle
    I try to maximize DS usage while still being able to use them when I need to due to having such low ilevel and taking quite a bit of damage due to it. I also try to make the most of AMS to soak as much as possible to throw out as many Rune Strikes as I can since they seem to be heavy hitters.

My Character

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Vexium/simple

I'm at 501 right now, but I was 486 at the time so the armory doesn't show the past. I was using the 483 Raid finder Sha-Touched 2h Axe off of the last boss in ToES as well as a few other things that I have since upgraded. I run a mix of DPS and tank gear and it works pretty well for me - I mainly use this toon for heroics, heroic scenarios, and LFR runs so the lack of dodge / parry don't make a huge difference to me.

My healers did comment on how I was squishy, but still healable (they're used to healing a 532 Prot Pally and a 537 Guardian Druid). Because of that, I'm thinking I may need to drop the few pieces of DPS gear that I have to pick up a bit more dodge and parry so I take less damage, just until I get geared up a bit more.

My Question
    My query is multi-part: Do DK's have threat issues or was the threat difference only due to the ilevel gap between myself and the warrior, and from what I've described does it seem like I'm playing incorrectly or is there anything else I can do to maximize my threat?

I can't post logs since we rarely ever used WoL on our main runs, nonetheless alt runs, but I can answer any questions you may have.

Thank you for you time.

warrior was most likely hit/exp capped. u werent. you still arent. if you find yourself lacking threat. either ask him to take a chillpill after tank swap or cap your hit/exp
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

there is a taunt change coming next patch that should help you with taunt switch trasitions.

once something is hitting you and you get some vengeance and his vengeance wears off , you should have no issue holding threat over him.

the taunt change makes it soe whenever you taunt you get 200% more threat for a short period after,.. you can even spam taunt when the boss is already looking at you if you want to kep furthering your gap in threat even while the boss is already looking at you.
    be careful not to spam it to often with your tanking partner or youll diminish return the taunt so much the boss will be immune to taunt for a short period.

till next patch anther solution is to build up resources while other tank is tanking,. and when its your turn to taunt, taunt then off load all your resources into the boss with all the saved up resources,.. that will give you a good lead on threat so the boss sticks on you and give you a good chunk of whatever active mitigation your class does.
    I rather tank in hell then dps in heaven

honestly I usually have the opposite problem! getting aggro back just after he taunted! I had to slap him to improve, since this became an issue for a while in HCs where we really try to push the dps! Plus taunting already gives you 50% of your mate's vengeance, and next patch it will 200% extra threat, so shouldn't be much of an issue any longer!

Get some hit and exp! We don't really need it for survivability but really helps the dps! There is nothing in normal that can kill you if you rotate your cd properly, so get some of those. It will help your dps and aggro! Some more gear will rapidly close the gap since the difference between you both is big! nothing like a better weapon (yours is good) and more str to buff your aggro!

On a side note seen some people who use conversion to have aggro issues do to not using rune strikes! there should be place for both but some ppl just don't start avoiding them when they have conversion!
    Last edited by elderamy; 2013-08-05 at 06:55 PM.

Use exp+mastery gems in red socket.

Exp and Hit have a bit survivability:
    - Getting SoB stack
    - 10 Runic Power each white attack -> t75 talets
    - If boss dodge or parry your ds it will heal but without SoB stacks and you will lost them
    - More Bloodworms

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for everyone's replies!

It looks like I definitely need to get hit and exp capped then. What about the exp hard cap? I can't imagine it being worth it to go for, even for threat, over haste / mastery / avoidance. Any thoughts?

Hard exp cap is great for damage increase. Get Bo-Ris, tank trinket from ji'kun and hands from ji'kun with exp and you are exp capped ofc without reforge exp to other stat.