Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjau View Post
    Well a lot of white bread is just "fast" carbohydrates, but if you wanna be healthy you really want "slow" carbohydrates. What fast carbs does is that it will make your blood sugar rise and then fall really fast as your body will respond with a lot of insulin(same thing happens when you eat candy, drink a soda, anything with fast carbs only). While slow carbs will have a much slower curve which is a lot better for you as your body will release insulin at gentler rate.

I'm a diabetic and as rule of thumb I think of most white food as fast carbs(white bread, flour, sugar, pasta, rice, milk) and I always have to take a lot more insulin to cover that kinda of food.
    What I try to do if I have to eat fast carbs is to eat something fatty or with lots of fibers together with it as that will slow down the rising blood sugar a bit!
    Thats probably why when I eat a bagel for breakfast, I start to get light headed, shaky, and sweaty about 3 hours later and then if I eat something sweet I feel normal again in a few minutes. And no I dont have diabetes, I was tested for that

What I try to do if I have to eat fast carbs is to eat something fatty or with lots of fibers together with it as that will slow down the rising blood sugar a bit!
    Try rye? Wikipedia: Rye bread is a type of bread made with various percentages of flour from rye grain. It can be light or dark in color, depending on the type of flour used and the addition of coloring agents, and is typically denser than bread made from wheat flour. It is higher in fiber than white bread and is often darker in color and stronger in flavor. Rye bread has notable health benefits when compared to white bread.

I actually prefer rye bread over normal white/whole-wheat because of the taste. When you eat (even whole wheat) you have to put weird stuffs on it for it to have a taste at all. We have a abundance of rye bread here in markets and what not, but I realize it might be hard to get your hands to it if you live in the states for example (at least I couldn't find it on markets).
    Last edited by Thes; 2013-08-05 at 10:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I 100% prefer whole wheat bread. White bread just takes like processed ass and I cannot stand eating it. On the other hand... I LOVE puerto rican bread, french bread, cuban bread... etc. Aka I like "WHITE" bread as long as it is actually cooked by hand or in a bakery. If I buy packaged bread, I whole-heartedly prefer whole wheat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    As a french person, reading this thread makes me chuckle and depressed at the same time
    Yea well, I blame the 1950's. Ironically, the Japanese perfectly square white bread is rather tasty and stems from the same "mayo and processed meat" background post WWII.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

As a french person, reading this thread makes me chuckle and depressed at the same time
    I love me some baguette.

Deleted
    Having been to France on several occasions, I found the hype over French bread to rarely be all that justified. Personally, I believe the country/countries that do bread best are Scandinavia or, in particular, Norway. The fresh baked bread i've had there has always been lovely; and whoever invented Lefse needs an award.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Thats probably why when I eat a bagel for breakfast, I start to get light headed, shaky, and sweaty about 3 hours later and then if I eat something sweet I feel normal again in a few minutes. And no I dont have diabetes, I was tested for that
    Well have you talked to your doctor about Hypoglycemia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoglycemia
    It's common for diabetics to experience "hypos" when they take too much insulin(very similar to what you explained), but you can also have it without it being related to diabetes. Your body might just react with way too much insulin on it's own. I know someone who suffer from this(non diabetic!) and she changed her diet so she eats less carbs than she used to, and tries to only eat "slow" carbs and she feels much better now!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muradu View Post
    Having been to France on several occasions, I found the hype over French bread to rarely be all that justified. Personally, I believe the country/countries that do bread best are Scandinavia or, in particular, Norway. The fresh baked bread i've had there has always been lovely; and whoever invented Lefse needs an award.
    I love french bread. I just wish it wasnt so long and skinny. you cant really make a sandwich out of it when each slice is only 3 inches in diameter

- - - Updated - - -

Well have you talked to your doctor about Hypoglycemia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoglycemia
    It's common for diabetics to experience "hypos" when they take too much insulin(very similar to what you explained), but you can also have it without it being related to diabetes. Your body might just react with way too much insulin on it's own. I know someone who suffer from this(non diabetic!) and she changed her diet so she eats less carbs than she used to, and tries to only eat "slow" carbs and she feels much better now!
    I think Ill say something to my doctor about it next time I go in, that could be it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I love french bread. I just wish it wasnt so long and skinny. you cant really make a sandwich out of it when each slice is only 3 inches in diameter
    Lol just cut it horizontal first and bigger pieces vertical . Baguette is ok i think but i like ciabatta more

Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    Try rye? Wikipedia: Rye bread is a type of bread made with various percentages of flour from rye grain. It can be light or dark in color, depending on the type of flour used and the addition of coloring agents, and is typically denser than bread made from wheat flour. It is higher in fiber than white bread and is often darker in color and stronger in flavor. Rye bread has notable health benefits when compared to white bread.

I actually prefer rye bread over normal white/whole-wheat because of the taste. When you eat (even whole wheat) you have to put weird stuffs on it for it to have a taste at all. We have a abundance of rye bread here in markets and what not, but I realize it might be hard to get your hands to it if you live in the states for example (at least I couldn't find it on markets).
    I do like rye, I actually like most bread, white or dark, full of seeds or rye! There are times though when the choice is no bread or eat whatever bread I am offered Like I might be eating out, or someone makes me food or offer me something and I just don't want to be the boring diabetic saying no to everything!
    With insulin shots, I can eat pretty much anything I want, but some things are harder to cover with insulin, like white bread. My fast acting insulin starts working 20minutes or so after injection, peaks at around 2 hours and is gone after around 4-6, while eating something with only pure carbohydrates will make my blood sugar peak at like 30min-1hour after and then crash. The goal is to match the insulin peak with blood sugar peak, not always an easy task

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    This is the stuff I like. Tasted with butter and honey... nummy.

http://www.daveskillerbread.com/kill...ower-seed.html
    I too love powerseed! So fucking good!

When I was little I never cared for anything but white bread. Now I avoid it like the plague. Crap taste, and too much sugar.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually buy potato bread. I think that is still considered white bread but is yellowish in color. It's been sold out the last 3 times I've gone grocery shopping (every other week) pisses me off

Deleted
    Whole wheat bread, the darker the better and with all the seeds in and on it! Some butter and ham and cheese or with a tuna salad, so delicious!
    White bread is nice too but i find it kind of plain, it's also not as filling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miley View Post
    I usually buy potato bread. I think that is still considered white bread but is yellowish in color. It's been sold out the last 3 times I've gone grocery shopping (every other week) pisses me off
    Yeah, potato bread is pretty good. I think it is better as toast though than for a sandwich

Deleted
    Before I moved from Sweden I used to eat Pågen Rye bread almost every day (if I grew tired, I sometimes went with the lightest, fluffiest toast bread I could find instead for a couple of days).
    Looks like this:

Now, that is proper bread! One slice, lasts you until lunch! Just some butter on that, and a slice of some sharp cheese and you are good to go.

Unfortunally I have not been able to find any bread like this in the supermarkets in UK. They seem to mostly have just toast and rolls over here.

Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    Before I moved from Sweden I used to eat Pågen Rye bread almost every day (if I grew tired, I sometimes went with the lightest, fluffiest toast bread I could find instead for a couple of days).
    Looks like this:

Now, that is proper bread! One slice, lasts you until lunch! Just some butter on that, and a slice of some sharp cheese and you are good to go.

Unfortunally I have not been able to find any bread like this in the supermarkets in UK. They seem to mostly have just toast and rolls over here.
    Yeah tends to be a thing only for us north europeans

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    British bread is generally pretty awful. I wouldn't call it 'bread' as such to begin with; but I suppose it has its own merits. Try visiting a local/nearby bakery rather than the supermarkets, or else make you're own; you'd be much better for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Get a bread machine and experiment with different flours. Or skip the bread machine and do it by hand. They're cheap, most less than $100, and make bread nicely, but a lot of people don't like the hole the agitator leaves in the bottom. They also have timers, where you can take <10 minutes to throw all the ingredients in and then set the timer to have a nice hot fresh loaf of bread waiting for you when you say get home from work. Homemade bread is the best and is cheaper by far, and you can keep HFCS out of your recipe, putting only what you want in the bread.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Get a bread machine and experiment with different flours. Or skip the bread machine and do it by hand. They're cheap, most less than $100, and make bread nicely, but a lot of people don't like the hole the agitator leaves in the bottom. Homemade bread is the best and is cheaper by far, and you can keep HFCS out of your recipe, putting only what you want in the bread.
    You can also just get dough in most supermarkets these days from the refrigerated section.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Orestis View Post
    I too love powerseed! So fucking good!

When I was little I never cared for anything but white bread. Now I avoid it like the plague. Crap taste, and too much sugar.
    11 dollars a loaf I'll pass.