Deleted

Ex-Rogue back from the dead

Hey I've decided to give WoW a go again to kill of some boredom, having not played since Firelands and I was wondering what is state of Hunters in both PvE and PvP at the moment?

I used to play Rogue during the end of Wrath until Firelands and I don't think I'll ever enjoy another class in PvP like I enjoyed Rogue but outside of their pretty nice burst in PvE they were pretty awful to play compared to other classes in terms of sustained damage and others things here and there iirc. I'm also thinking of going Boomkin in PvE if Hunters are pretty crappy atm. Are Boomkins fun to play (I know this isn't the Druid forum ) and whats the skillcap of Boomkins/Hunters?

Thanks in advance. I used to be a clicker too, so looking to find a good bind setup too.

Quote Originally Posted by hayz View Post
    I'm also thinking of going Boomkin in PvE if Hunters are pretty crappy atm. Are Boomkins fun to play (I know this isn't the Druid forum ) and whats the skillcap of Boomkins/Hunters?
    The only tricky part of hunters atm is mastering the opener and Focus management, and you can nail that down in a few hours on a target dummy. And they are taking all of the complexity out of the opener next patch by taking away readiness. I still enjoy playing my hunter, and I enjoy playing my boomkin alt.

In PvE, Boomkins have a higher skill cap in my opinion, but as far as getting the absolute most possible out of the toon in PvP, I'd say hunters are harder because of the ridiculous toolkit that we have.

But honestly you can be pretty effective in PvP just tossing out your CC and bursting on people.

I'd wait until 5.4 numbers pass comes. They said they would up Hunter damage enough so they are compensated for lack of proper utility.

Imo there's nothing more fun than a Hunter atm. We're extremely powerful in PvP right now and coupled with a brain in your head you can really stick it to the other team.
    PvE is also fun and while a TON of people are whining about our DPS, I'm always top 3 at 523 ilvl. (Every one realm and group may vary.) With GC's tweets and posts about number adjusting our sig. shots, it is exciting waiting to potentially be even more powerful. If YOU don't enjoy the play then you may never succeed. Practice and decide for yourself once you've played a Hunter for at least a solid month. No matter which "main alt" I try to level and gear, nothing feels better than my Hoonter!

Oh, and I used to main a Rogue before this.
    Last edited by Tecnice; 2013-08-06 at 01:44 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Volant View Post
    PvE is also fun and while a TON of people are whining about our DPS, I'm always top 3 at 523 ilvl.
    People need to stop using this argument. So rest of your raid team sucks dps-wise, that doesn't exactly say much about the state of hunter dps in general, does it?

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/ Hunter dps is good on some fights, but generally only ok compared to others.

Having said that, bm hunters are lots of fun, and it looks like 5.4 will be even better for us (I just miss Binding Shot so much), the main difference between us and boomkins is that the latter have 7 buttons in their dps rotation, while we have like 15 at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by OswinOswald View Post
    People need to stop using this argument. So rest of your raid team sucks dps-wise, that doesn't exactly say much about the state of hunter dps in general, does it?

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/ Hunter dps is good on some fights, but generally only ok compared to others.

Having said that, bm hunters are lots of fun, and it looks like 5.4 will be even better for us (I just miss Binding Shot so much), the main difference between us and boomkins is that the latter have 7 buttons in their dps rotation, while we have like 15 at the moment.
    If you're going to take a stab at my quote then don't leave out my disclaimer. The argument is valid for 85% of all raiders. And you're wrong, they don't suck,if you can't put up good numbers with BM then I suppose the community now knows who does.

You might want to try Windwalker Monk. Some people hate but I was a rogue until MoP too and changed, I find their short CC matches the traditional rogue lockdown style and they are an energy using class with a few other notable similarities to rogue, with higher healing and mobility. Of course no stealth. Monks level faster than other classes so I would recommend trying it out.

Deleted
    If you're going to take a stab at my quote then don't leave out my disclaimer. The argument is valid for 85% of all raiders. And you're wrong, they don't suck,if you can't put up good numbers with BM then I suppose the community now knows who does.
    How can it be valid for 85% of raiders, when logs place the average hunter dps in HC mode below most other dps specs? I'll correct you here, it's valid for 85% of the hunters who go on forums claiming that hunter dps is awesome just because they have better skills/gear than rest of the raid. I'm not saying our dps is bad, I love it, but our potential is not as high as that of quite a few other classes (who can offtank offheal tranq etc etc). So a few buffs here and there would not be a bad thing, and that's what all the whining might get us. Unless, you know, people listen to posts like yours. Of course we can beat other classes, a bloody arms warr can beat other classes if they're good enough. But you shouldn't extrapolate things from a minority...

Quote Originally Posted by OswinOswald View Post
    How can it be valid for 85% of raiders, when logs place the average hunter dps in HC mode below most other dps specs? I'll correct you here, it's valid for 85% of the hunters who go on forums claiming that hunter dps is awesome just because they have better skills/gear than rest of the raid. I'm not saying our dps is bad, I love it, but our potential is not as high as that of quite a few other classes (who can offtank offheal tranq etc etc). So a few buffs here and there would not be a bad thing, and that's what all the whining might get us. Unless, you know, people listen to posts like yours. Of course we can beat other classes, a bloody arms warr can beat other classes if they're good enough. But you shouldn't extrapolate things from a minority...
    Please, feel free to continue whining then. The OP should know that he shouldn't ditch his hunter simply because people like you on the forums complain all day.
    Hunters are a ton of fun and we're one of (if not THE) the best in PvP right now.

Deleted
    Hunters are a ton of fun.
    I never said otherwise. Hunters are awesome, we kick ass on fights like Qon or Lei Shen, and we get to do all the extra bits like painting or flying. OP should know though that if he chooses to play a boomkin or a rogue instead, he will do better dps overall, assuming high level of skill.

Deleted
    Right, appreciate the comments on here. I prefer playing range specs, since I hated being a melee for PvE and want a change, Range also seems easier. What spec is the best for leveling? BM or Surv? From what I've heard MM sucks for everything generally.

Quote Originally Posted by hayz View Post
    Right, appreciate the comments on here. I prefer playing range specs, since I hated being a melee for PvE and want a change, Range also seems easier. What spec is the best for leveling? BM or Surv? From what I've heard MM sucks for everything generally.
    MM's not a bad spec, it just doesn't have a niche.

For levelling, play whatever you want, try out all 3 specs, keep the most fun one. Gameplay is always different at 90, so there's no sense worrying about it before that.