Differences of playstyles

Over the years, I've watched as certain labels on these here forums have degenerated into negative meanings. I want to go into why people are using these specific labels wrongly:

If I offend someone- well- sorry.

1. Casuals:

There are two types of casuals:

a. "Casual": these are people that do not get to play as often as they would like to. However, these folks actually do put some effort into their characters while they are on. Every casual that I know in game makes sure they at least gem their gear.

These folks also do a little research or at least ask for advice when it comes to their characters. These folks actually do try whenever they get in a group- they may not be the cream of the crop, but they understand what a dps rotation is, try to understand boss mechanics, and try to raid normals when time allows them to.

Due to whatever real life schedule, they may only get to raid normals once or twice a month- for them, LFR is perfect. These folks also generally stick to normal raiding- when they can.

b. "Baduals": these people are completely clueless even though they may log in every single day. These are the people that don't bother to gem their gear, don't bother putting any research into their class, and expect everyone else to carry them. These are the same folks that make absurd claims about this game is too hard. These folks absolutely love to throw out the "casual" title when defending themselves.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2. Middle of the pack folks:

This group is in a fine line between casual and hardcore. These folks may attempt a heroic mode, but usually stick to normals- where they feel comfortable. These folks do log in every day, but do something different every day: be it pvp, LFR, normals raiding, soloing an old dungeon, going for walks.

I consider a lot of the playerbase around the middle of the pack.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Hardcore:

There are two category of hardcores:

a. The real hardcore: These folks really have no issue with anyone else seeing content. These folks also don't go around insulting every other gamer that isn't up to their standards. They also don't complain because other people that aren't them are getting epics. These folks are also happy to give anyone that is willing to listen advice on a particular class or even fight strategies.

b. The wannabe hardcore: We all know this guy: hasn't finished a full tier of heroic raiding, but feels the need to insult everyone else. He feels that everyone should lick his feet and hero worship him because he's somehow "better" than everyone else (even though that particular heroic raid may be the first time he's ever done heroic raiding).

These are the folks that make the real hardcores look like a bunch of elitist jerks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where am I going with this?

Well for one, I see people mix up the term "casual" with meaning bad all of the time. And it's not true. Most casuals I know are pretty decent players. It's the baduals that make the term casual a bad thing.

As for the hardcores: look I have no qualms with you if you treat other players with a shred of respect. A majority of the hardcores I know do treat people with respect. It's the wannabe hardcores that ruin the hardcore image.

I think we really need to start getting these things straight.
    "When you've got to get down, but can't find the elevator, you have to do it any way you can. Even if it's with a shovel."- Dark Tower II: Drawing of the Three, Stephen King
    Juju's kgpanels: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/jujus-kgpanels Juju's blog: http://mouthygoblin.weebly.com/jujus-blog.html#/

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    stereotypes....been here since caveman days and will exist till we are all extinct
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    You tried to expand upon the casual vs. hardcore categories but I feel like it's still too simple. >_>

I think that the 'wannabe hardcore' type is somewhat misplaced, it attaches a specific attitude amongst the hardcore playerbase but then asserts that they don't actually clear the content? I see people with that kind of attitude in completionist guilds too. Rather than attach a progression level to hardcore I'd continue to base it around the time factor like you did with the middle/casual/badual section and then seperate by attitudes. Such as:

- the silent hardcore - the hardcore you see out in the world or in your LFG runs that seems to never speak or interact with others, are they a douche or are they just minding their own business?
    - the loud hardcore - good at the game and they'll let you know about it, if they aren't actually good at the game then see below...
    - the wannabe hardcore - the type who thinks that their shit doesn't stink, these players might even manage to get heroic full clears in guilds willing/required to put up with them
    - the humble hardcore - the type who doesn't like to brag, and just gets on with it
    - the casual/semi hardcore - groups of people who go far with very little

Lol. Your definitions of real hardcore and wannabe hardcore are laughable. TO assume that "nice people" are all the real hardcore and bad people are all wannabes. Try again with something not so obviously one sided.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    You tried to expand upon the casual vs. hardcore categories but I feel like it's still too simple. >_>

I think that the 'wannabe hardcore' type is somewhat misplaced, it attaches a specific attitude amongst the hardcore playerbase but then asserts that they don't actually clear the content? I see people with that kind of attitude in completionist guilds too. Rather than attach a progression level to hardcore I'd continue to base it around the time factor like you did with the middle/casual/badual section and then seperate by attitudes. Such as:

- the silent hardcore - the hardcore you see out in the world or in your LFG runs that seems to never speak or interact with others, are they a douche or are they just minding their own business?
    - the loud hardcore - good at the game and they'll let you know about it, if they aren't actually good at the game then see below...
    - the wannabe hardcore - the type who thinks that their shit doesn't stink, these players might even manage to get heroic full clears in guilds willing/required to put up with them
    - the humble hardcore - the type who doesn't like to brag, and just gets on with it
    - the casual/semi hardcore - groups of people who go far with very little
    I wasn't trying to write a Stephen King novel. (I've been known to do that on the WoW forums).
    "When you've got to get down, but can't find the elevator, you have to do it any way you can. Even if it's with a shovel."- Dark Tower II: Drawing of the Three, Stephen King
    Juju's kgpanels: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/jujus-kgpanels Juju's blog: http://mouthygoblin.weebly.com/jujus-blog.html#/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taheen74 View Post
    I wasn't trying to write a Stephen King novel. (I've been known to do that on the WoW forums).
    A bit of an exaggeration!

casual = logs in to the game to have fun, doesn't give a fuck what people say on mmo-c.

badual = confuses lack of skill with lack of effort but really just has neither. complain about "neckbeard nerds" on an internet forum devoted to a mmorpg game.

hardcore = too busy to post on mmo-c unless it's links to kill vids. amazing players who genuinely enjoy the game.

wannabe hardcore = finally made it into top 50 when 49 other guilds died. never posts a kill vid but will happily link the wol parses they obtained when they sat on horridon for 100% of the fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adelerollsinthedeep View Post
    casual = logs in to the game to have fun, doesn't give a fuck what people say on mmo-c.

badual = confuses lack of skill with lack of effort but really just has neither. complain about "neckbeard nerds" on an internet forum devoted to a mmorpg game.

hardcore = too busy to post on mmo-c unless it's links to kill vids. amazing players who genuinely enjoy the game.

wannabe hardcore = finally made it into top 50 when 49 other guilds died. never posts a kill vid but will happily link the wol parses they obtained when they sat on horridon for 100% of the fight.
    There are alot of people in top guilds that frequent this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    There are alot of people in top guilds that frequent this forum.
    only on farm content, friend. only on farm.

Deleted
    suprise! There are multitude of different player skill, ability, and dedication in an MMO. Who would have thought it :/

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    suprise! There are multitude of different player skill, ability, and dedication in an MMO. Who would have thought it :/
    As I said at the bottom of my post, the biggest reason I made this thread (I originally put it up on the US forums) was because I am sick and tired of seeing the words "casual" and "hardcore" being used in negative contexts. People really need to start realizing there are more than 2 classifications.

It would be nice if we had no label's for players. It's a game, an MMO at that. All types of players play. I say as long as people are having fun, who cares what content, how good, or what they do in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranker View Post
    It would be nice if we had no label's for players. It's a game, an MMO at that. All types of players play. I say as long as people are having fun, who cares what content, how good, or what they do in game.
    people love to put other people in boxes. its human nature to label. i think its something to do with the way our brain stores data.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taheen74 View Post
    As I said at the bottom of my post, the biggest reason I made this thread (I originally put it up on the US forums) was because I am sick and tired of seeing the words "casual" and "hardcore" being used in negative contexts. People really need to start realizing there are more than 2 classifications.
    All you actually did was say, in fancier words, that people who don't gem their gear are bad and shouldn't play. True story.
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman

Quote Originally Posted by marthsk View Post
    All you actually did was say, in fancier words, that people who don't gem their gear are bad and shouldn't play. True story.
    Wanna quote where I said that last part? I don't think I even implied that.
    Last edited by taheen74; 2013-08-06 at 05:00 PM.

What about the hardcore minded player that plays their character(s) all to 95%+ capacity, messes up mainly twice- on the first 2 pulls to learn the fight, raids with a guild of...less competent people that cannot grasp standing out of fire and have others carry them, but only stays with them due to real life stuff. You know, the one or two people in your raid that rarely screws things up especially on progression, always does top dps/minimizes damage taken/heals most effectively compared with the rest of the raid, tries to help strategize, yet never gets gear over the more senior members (that aren't all that great, and the upgrade sucks for that class in comparison, like a ret pally getting gurthalak over an arms warrior in DS, or especially death bringer's will to a pally over a warrior in ICC...).

In other words, a hardcore minded player in a middle of the pack guild/raid whom can only play casually/middle of the pack due to real life; what would you call that? Because dedicated time doesn't create skill, simply grasping the concepts and doing what you are supposed to do is your personal skill, relying on others to do the same creates raid skill (at appropriate gear, not talking about undergeared heroic progression).

And now I play casually, yet play my characters at a 'hardcore' level, or rather just maximum efficiency and effectiveness for the gear they have, and will welcome flex raiding, since LFR is toxic.

Edit: ^Stephen King novel lol