Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Timeless Isle is amazing

    I love everything about it so far.

    It's everything people always complained about the game either not having, or losing since vanilla.

    I can't believe they reduced the damage, though. It was fine - just a bit difficult.

    Why should everything in the world be easily soloable?

  2. #2
    Scarab Lord Gimlix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    The Netherlands!
    Posts
    4,528
    No you are amazing
    » Active MMO-Champion visitor since: 12-12-2012 «
    » Predict Warlords of Draenor to sell 3 Million copies at first day «

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    33,046
    I've been saying, there is group & challenge content to be found. It's just no longer required for everyone. Instead, you can seek it out to test your mettle. Much better, in my opinion, akin to the difficulty levels in virtually every game that exists.



  4. #4
    I also think the game direly needed non-directed experiences, variation in spawns, exploration, etc...

    It provided that.. I personally was looking for all of that and not having it made me slowly lose interest in the game.

  5. #5
    Can't say I'm impressed with this "non-directed experience" nonsense. It's just the meat of a daily hub, killing and collecting stuff, without the context of a story. I really hope this idea doesn't stick around.

  6. #6
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Posts
    11,563
    The nerf was a little stronger than it needed to be but it did suck dying all the time on Blazing Way because the mobs were tough, often in groups, and there were patrols. Even if you could kill them there was often no safe place to fight.
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxArleeSimcaElysiaZaelsino

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    Can't say I'm impressed with this "non-directed experience" nonsense. It's just the meat of a daily hub, killing and collecting stuff, without the context of a story. I really hope this idea doesn't stick around.
    'context of a story' has generally meant.. everything is on rails, mobs are practically one-shotted, and you never figure out or find anything for yourself.

    A step away from that is a good step, IMO.

    It wasn't so long ago that the game as a whole didn't even show you where to go on the map for a quest.. the fact that people expect it is pretty sad.

    If there is no challenge in either a) locating what needs to be done, or b) doing it.. why even play the game? Doesn't make sense to me..

  8. #8
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    Can't say I'm impressed with this "non-directed experience" nonsense. It's just the meat of a daily hub, killing and collecting stuff, without the context of a story. I really hope this idea doesn't stick around.
    More importantly it's subjecting a whole lot of people to the whims of a bunch of assholes. I can imagine the worst behavior being on display by some of the worst elements of the community. It's pretty fucking terrible that you want to subject the mass of players to that kind of crap. I have a feeling it's gonna be terrible and it won't keep anybody subscribed nor do I think will it bring people back. All because they're to cheap to make dungeons...
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

  9. #9
    Old God Frozenbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uk - England
    Posts
    10,779
    If there is no challenge in either a) locating what needs to be done, or b) doing it.. why even play the game? Doesn't make sense to me..
    Seeing that people play for different reasons doesn't make sense to you? Not everyone is super competitive and needs to strain there self with everything they do in order to enjoy themselves 0o

  10. #10
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Posts
    11,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    More importantly it's subjecting a whole lot of people to the whims of a bunch of assholes. I can imagine the worst behavior being on display by some of the worst elements of the community. It's pretty fucking terrible that you want to subject the mass of players to that kind of crap. I have a feeling it's gonna be terrible and it won't keep anybody subscribed nor do I think will it bring people back. All because they're to cheap to make dungeons...
    I don't really understand what you're talking about with the "worst behaviour on display" and whatnot.

    Anyway, I don't think the isle is intended to bring people back to the game or be the sole thing that holds subs. If anything, Blizzard is probably hoping Siege or the collection of content does that. It's just a fun addition that gives a little more story and tries to inject some kind of novelty into the game.

    I think the island is pretty cool but it's also a take it or leave it kind of thing - if it's not interesting to you without a slew of daily quests, just don't go. It's not really a big deal to skip because you're not missing out on anything other than fun items and vanity rewards and gear for nonraiding alts, really.
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxArleeSimcaElysiaZaelsino

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxok View Post
    'context of a story' has generally meant.. everything is on rails, mobs are practically one-shotted, and you never figure out or find anything for yourself.

    A step away from that is a good step, IMO.

    It wasn't so long ago that the game as a whole didn't even show you where to go on the map for a quest.. the fact that people expect it is pretty sad.

    If there is no challenge in either a) locating what needs to be done, or b) doing it.. why even play the game? Doesn't make sense to me..
    Without story, WoW is completely forgettable and uninteresting to me. The controls are polished and easy to use and the world is very pretty, but without a story I'd get bored and wander off in an afternoon.

    Story and challenge are not incompatible, but if I have to choose, story wins every time. Challenge without story, like pet battles and brawlers guild, can be a fun diversion, but they aren't why I'm here and wouldn't keep me here by themselves.

  12. #12
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I don't really understand what you're talking about with the "worst behaviour on display" and whatnot.

    Anyway, I don't think the isle is intended to bring people back to the game or be the sole thing that holds subs. If anything, Blizzard is probably hoping Siege or the collection of content does that. It's just a fun addition that gives a little more story and tries to inject some kind of novelty into the game.

    I think the island is pretty cool but it's also a take it or leave it kind of thing - if it's not interesting to you without a slew of daily quests, just don't go. It's not really a big deal to skip because you're not missing out on anything other than fun items and vanity rewards and gear for nonraiding alts, really.
    The problem with telling people not to do something is that they often take your advice and don't do it. When the developers spend all that time making that content they obviously want you to do it to keep you entertained. If your not entertained your more likely to leave. I don't get this desire on the part of the community to tell other members of the community not to do something instead of asking the developers to do a better job of making attractive content. I mean okay keep telling players not to do things but don't be surprised when players keep leaving..

    It's terrible as catch up. It's terrible as an alternative to anything. It's simple just fucking bad content. Telling people not to do it doesn't make it less bad content, it simple leaves people out of that content.

    As for the in game behavior of the community expect all sorts of nasty behavior from your faction or the opponents faction. If you don't play on a pve server have fun.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2013-08-06 at 09:52 PM.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

  13. #13
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Posts
    11,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    The problem with telling people not to do something is that they often take your advice and don't do it. When the developers spend all that time making that content they obviously want you to do it to keep you entertained. So if your not entertained people will leave. I don't get this desire on the part of the community to tell other members of the community not to do something instead of asking the developers to do a better job of making attractive content.
    I'm not telling anyone not to do something, I am just saying if it is not your style, it is not a loss to your character to not do it. Just like I would tell a raider who hated pvp that there is no reason to partake in it or someone leveling alts who prefers chaining dungeons to quests. There's no repercussions for skipping it.

    As far as asking the developers to do a better job making attractive content, I think they've done a pretty good job with something most people will enjoy. There will always be people who don't like something; you can't please everyone. My comment was directed at those that won't.

    Of course, if you have specific critiques or suggestions you should by all means share them, here and on the PTR forums so Blizzard can hear the criticism.

    As for the in game behavior of the community expect all sorts of nasty behavior from your faction or the opponents faction. If you don't play on a pve server have fun.
    Like what? I just don't understand specifically what you are talking about that applies to this island that wouldn't apply anywhere else in the world. Your complaint is pretty strongly worded for being so ambiguous.
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxArleeSimcaElysiaZaelsino

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    As for the in game behavior of the community expect all sorts of nasty behavior from your faction or the opponents faction. If you don't play on a pve server have fun.
    I will never understand people complaining about pvp on a pvp server.. i know that's an 8+ year old constantly repeated phrase, but how does it not make sense?

    To avoid EVERYTHING you're complaining about, play on a pve server. That's always been the case since day 1..

  15. #15
    Field Marshal Muradu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    The Exodar
    Posts
    70
    I can see it being hell on a PvP realm; small size, rare loot/mobs all over the place, and even incentives to kill both the enemy faction and your own faction via the Ordos items. I think to enjoy myself best, i'll have to make like Dracula and do everything during a graveyard shift of about 03:00 onward at night.
    "Not all who wander are lost" - Velen

  16. #16
    Elemental Lord Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    8,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    Without story, WoW is completely forgettable and uninteresting to me. The controls are polished and easy to use and the world is very pretty, but without a story I'd get bored and wander off in an afternoon.

    Story and challenge are not incompatible, but if I have to choose, story wins every time. Challenge without story, like pet battles and brawlers guild, can be a fun diversion, but they aren't why I'm here and wouldn't keep me here by themselves.
    The challenge with a story is SoO.

    Timeless Isle is filled with its own Lore and story for YOU to find yourself.

    You don't have anyone holding your hand this time.

    It's time for you to move on from your parent (quests in this sense) and venture out on your own!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Transorcers, Warlords in disguise.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I don't really understand what you're talking about with the "worst behaviour on display" and whatnot.

    Anyway, I don't think the isle is intended to bring people back to the game or be the sole thing that holds subs. If anything, Blizzard is probably hoping Siege or the collection of content does that. It's just a fun addition that gives a little more story and tries to inject some kind of novelty into the game.

    I think the island is pretty cool but it's also a take it or leave it kind of thing - if it's not interesting to you without a slew of daily quests, just don't go. It's not really a big deal to skip because you're not missing out on anything other than fun items and vanity rewards and gear for nonraiding alts, really.
    I think my problem is that they are treating is an either/or problem. Either dailies or non-directed content. Isle of Thunder was basically both, with the chests and rares being a early non-drected sort of thing. I like the non-directed stuff in Pandaria, but I like it in the context of it being a bonus ontop of the pile of pretty sweet content we already get. Without that context, it's, well, less than the sum of it's parts to me.

    Feels like a waste of potential.

  18. #18
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I'm not telling anyone not to do something, I am just saying if it is not your style, it is not a loss to your character to not do it. Just like I would tell a raider who hated pvp that there is no reason to partake in it or someone leveling alts who prefers chaining dungeons to quests. There's no repercussions for skipping it.

    As far as asking the developers to do a better job making attractive content, I think they've done a pretty good job with something most people will enjoy. There will always be people who don't like something; you can't please everyone. My comment was directed at those that won't.

    Of course, if you have specific critiques or suggestions you should by all means share them, here and on the PTR forums so Blizzard can hear the criticism.


    Like what? I just don't understand specifically what you are talking about that applies to this island that wouldn't apply anywhere else in the world. Your complaint is pretty strongly worded for being so ambiguous.
    You are telling me not to do it though. Even if it's not implicitly stating it your suggesting that I can walk away from it with no loss. Well when people walk away from it they don't do it and they find out they have less to do. I mean I don't agree that their aren't reprecussions from skipping it, their obviously are especially if your behind on the gear curve and trying to catch up but okay let's say it's true theirs nothing to lose. Okay now what do i do? You've told me I can walk away, I did, isn't that just one more step closer to walking away from the game?

    I've got lots of ideas but they've already been expressed. Ultimately the point is that instead of telling players that they can simple ignore all the shit the developers do in the game you ought to be telling the developers to make the content that people want. Not telling players they can easily skip it. If you tell them that they do and then they don't get anything out of that content or that patch. All that development time goes to waste and that isn't the developers intent at all. The developers don't or at least shouldn't want you to feel you can skip their content because why sub then? I mean you've told me not to do it, I'm sorry you have. You haven't done it implicitly but you've coped out and said it's not "mandatory" or totally optional (which is debatable) and that I should feel free to skip it. Well what happens when people take your advice? what do they do in the game?

    As for what poor behavior I expect all kinds of "world pvp" (basically packs of wolves rolling around ganking left right center) to add a whole lot of frustration to the whole affair. Or even worse members of your own faction, watching you kill a mob in front of a chest, walking right past you and stealing yours. Fantastic. That's just off the top of my head. I imagine the community is filled with far more creative people just ready to grief and harass other players for morbid enjoyment.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2013-08-06 at 10:27 PM.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

  19. #19
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    Posts
    11,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    I think my problem is that they are treating is an either/or problem. Either dailies or non-directed content. Isle of Thunder was basically both, with the chests and rares being a early non-drected sort of thing. I like the non-directed stuff in Pandaria, but I like it in the context of it being a bonus ontop of the pile of pretty sweet content we already get. Without that context, it's, well, less than the sum of it's parts to me.

    Feels like a waste of potential.
    Gotcha, makes sense.

    I think IoT was too daily heavy myself, and prefer the Timeless Isle approach a little more, but it probably could benefit from at least a few more directed tasks; a daily or two. But not too much. :\

    FWIW, there are some specific directed tasks you go to the island for -- your cloak, celestial tournament, world boss, etc. And there are a few quests there, including one lore-based daily. But yeah, it's largely a very open ended zone - a place you go for killing rares and hunting treasure and exploring and doing special "events."
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

    For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxArleeSimcaElysiaZaelsino

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    You are telling me not to do it though. Even if it's not implicitly stating it your suggesting that I can walk away from it with no loss. Well when people walk away from it they don't do it and they find out they have less to do. I mean I don't agree that their aren't reprecussions from skipping it, their obviously are especially if your behind on the gear curve and trying to catch up but okay let's say it's true theirs nothing to lose. Okay now what do i do? You've told me I can walk away, I did, isn't that just one more step closer to walking away from the game?

    I've got lots of ideas but they've already been expressed. Ultimately the point is that instead of telling players that they can simple ignore all the shit the developers do in the game you ought to be telling the developers to make the content that people want. Not telling players they can easily skip it. If you tell them that they do and then they don't get anything out of that content or that patch. All that development time goes to waste and that isn't the developers intent at all. The developers don't or at least shouldn't want you to feel you can skip their content because why sub then? I mean you've told me not to do it, I'm sorry you have. You haven't done it implicitly but you've coped out and said it's not "mandatory" or totally optional (which is debatable) and that I should feel free to skip it. Well what happens when people take your advice? what do they do in the game?

    As for what poor behavior I expect all kinds of "world pvp" (basically packs of wolves rolling around ganking left right center) to add a whole lot of frustration to the whole affair. Or even worse members of your own faction, watching you kill a mob in front of a chest, walking right past you and stealing yours. Fantastic. That's just off the top of my head. I imagine the community is filled with far more creative people just ready to grief and harass other players for morbid enjoyment.
    So basically what you're saying is that every piece of content they release has to be unanimously loved by every subscribed player? Oh and no more world events ever again because someone might get their feelings hurt, only instances from now on, staying in town and queuing all day was REALLY saving this game in cata right?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •