iMac G3 files needing to be copied to PC

Hey all,

As the title says, I have a iMac G3 OS 9 sitting on my desk at the moment needing files transferred over to a PC. I am trying to do this for a friend, however I have ran into some issues.

First: Connected to Ethernet so I could just copy/paste them into emails. Well this mac has Netscape which is long past gone and locks up trying to open it, IE 4.5 which no one supports (I cannot even use it to download a new browser).

Second: Tried a FTP site I own, I can access it but am unable to upload to it? Not sure if there is something special I am missing to do it.

Third: Good ol thumb drive. I opened one document up saved it as HTML, and RTF, and Text - well I can copy it to the drive and when I look at it from the PC it only got the header of the document nothing else. So 1 page out of 300 was copied from 1 document.

Any one have any suggestions or ideas I can try to get these files to PC and get them saved in Microsoft word?
    Last edited by Sthos; 2013-08-06 at 03:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does it have an actual mail client that supports pop or imap?

It has Microsoft Express, a really old version

Since you have a thumb drive, did you try downloading the install package for another browser, say an older support IE or Safari, but newer than the current and running that? That might help with the browser dilemma and get you open to the internet with other options

I have tried getting Safari on it, however I'm not sure which version would work. I think I tried 12, and the mac didn't recognize the file format to install/run it.

Interesting thread on the Apple forums regarding the G3 and browsers:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    Interesting thread on the Apple forums regarding the G3 and browsers:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
    I'll take a look at there shortly... I downloaded ie 5.1.7, mozilla 1.2.1 and Opera 5.0 which are the 'latest' that support OS9. I'll see if any of these work

Worse case, the person who wants the stull off will pay me $50/hr to rewrite everything in Microsoft lol.... I really dont want to do it since they have 4+ papers over 300 pages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    Since you have a thumb drive, did you try downloading the install package for another browser, say an older support IE or Safari, but newer than the current and running that? That might help with the browser dilemma and get you open to the internet with other options
    older macs use powerpc cpus, they are not compatible with x86 based software

this is not the same as OS differences like trying to run a linux program on windows, when there is a different cpu architecture, nothing you can do short of custom writing the application and compiling it for the OS in use will work

so you just cant download software onto a flashdrive and go

OS9 came out in 1999, and was EoL'd in 2002, it's effectively a dead platform and has been dead for over a decade, why someone is still using one is beyond me

Managed to get my owa website to work with the download of ie 5.1.7 from the thumb drive.

Got the users books! yay