Thread: New to the Game

10+ Year Old Account

New to the Game

Hey All,

I'm totally new to Swtor, and I have been learning as I go. Are there any tips for a new player that can make my experience smooth and not have to back track for things I may have missed in early levels?

Also, when I created my character, there were very few Server selections. This leads me to believe that it would be easy to find a server with familiar people much easier.

What server do you all play on? I unsubbed from WoW and plan to spend a bit of time playing this game, so making new friends would be nice = )
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    To be honest there's no real secret recipe to levelling in SWTOR mainly because it doesn't need one, I've found it to be quite a forgiving experience that doesn't really punish you for any 'errors'. That said I'm no power leveller so wouldn't really mind (or even notice) the less than optimum sessions in terms of xp gathering.

I would only say that if you are F2P you will have to do more of the side missions or you will find yourself under levelled for new areas you are moving into.
    Also early on gear is less important so I would only use items that drop from mobs and mission rewards and save planetary comms for later on when gear appears to be a little more of an issue.

From a perspective of making friends in game, I wouldn't have thought you would have too many problems. Sure, like all games SWTOR has it's idiots but in my experience they are few and far between and on the whole the community is pleasant and helpful.

good luck

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolverk View Post
    To be honest there's no real secret recipe to levelling in SWTOR mainly because it doesn't need one, I've found it to be quite a forgiving experience that doesn't really punish you for any 'errors'. That said I'm no power leveller so wouldn't really mind (or even notice) the less than optimum sessions in terms of xp gathering.

I would only say that if you are F2P you will have to do more of the side missions or you will find yourself under levelled for new areas you are moving into.
    Also early on gear is less important so I would only use items that drop from mobs and mission rewards and save planetary comms for later on when gear appears to be a little more of an issue.

From a perspective of making friends in game, I wouldn't have thought you would have too many problems. Sure, like all games SWTOR has it's idiots but in my experience they are few and far between and on the whole the community is pleasant and helpful.

good luck
    Thanks for the reply!

I actually subbed a few days ago. I've met some people here and there on group missions, and you are right! The people i have encountered have all been really nice and welcoming. The only folks i've found annoying are those who insist you spacebar through the conversations. If it is my first time, i want to read the story. But they are few and far between. Most don't seem to mind too much.

I did read in a "Beginner FAQ's" post on the Swtor forums to save the Planetary Commendations. I'm doing my best to resist buying gear from the vendors.

At level 18 now, got myself my first mount which is exciting. Still on Drommand Kaas but I think the quests are soon coming to an end. Quite excited to get out of the jungle soon.

All in All, still having an absolute blast. Very excited to get to a point where I want to give the Inquisitor a break and start up an Alt. Not sure how soon that will be as I am loving my Inquisitor right now. Such an evil bastard!

Star Wars is about the story. Take your time and enjoy it, it's really good and it's something you can enjoy. There's nothing you need to worry about missing, just do the main story and side ones you want. Main thing tho is to just enjoy it, it's really awesome and will suck you in.

I play on Prop 5, Genada.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert3620 View Post
    Star Wars is about the story. Take your time and enjoy it, it's really good and it's something you can enjoy. There's nothing you need to worry about missing, just do the main story and side ones you want. Main thing tho is to just enjoy it, it's really awesome and will suck you in.

I play on Prop 5, Genada.
    My question wasn't aimed at how to level quickly. Just certain quests that are a Must for either a cool item that is fun for the rest of the game, or a piece of story that is too awesome to miss. Things like that.

I am definitely taking my time, I'm level 18 on Drommand Kaas, which i'm pretty sure is quite a bit over level for this planet. The enemies are level 13 at the highest that i have seen.

I'm not concerned with gaining max experience, I want to take it slow and smell the roses. I want to see all the story has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    My question wasn't aimed at how to level quickly. Just certain quests that are a Must for either a cool item that is fun for the rest of the game, or a piece of story that is too awesome to miss. Things like that.

I am definitely taking my time, I'm level 18 on Drommand Kaas, which i'm pretty sure is quite a bit over level for this planet. The enemies are level 13 at the highest that i have seen.

I'm not concerned with gaining max experience, I want to take it slow and smell the roses. I want to see all the story has to offer.
    I see, there's a lot of side quests that are just really awesome. Really too many to mention. If your in no hurry I would just play them all out and enjoy them all. As far as items and such that's not to be missed, there's nothing I can really think of off the top of my head. When you get to Tat and are out in the desert be sure to click on the skull.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert3620 View Post
    I see, there's a lot of side quests that are just really awesome. Really too many to mention. If your in no hurry I would just play them all out and enjoy them all. As far as items and such that's not to be missed, there's nothing I can really think of off the top of my head. When you get to Tat and are out in the desert be sure to click on the skull.
    Lies!

I know better, I recall that from then the game was released. I would read up on peoples stories when they first started playing lol. Tryin to get my 1 shotted >.>

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    My main recommendation would be to pick a republic alt that you can switch over to whenever you get tired of your main. You will encounter a solid wall of repeated quests if you choose another empire character for your alt.

Also, look for gear with item modifications on them. You can pick up mods for 2 Planetary Commendations, enhancements for 2, armor for 7 (armor only), and barrels or hilts for 7 (weapons only). So, weapons or armor can be upgraded for a maximum of 11 PCs each, plus augments which you can craft with certain crew skills or buy off the Galactic Trade Network (auction house). Wait until you have about 60+ PCs, and then return Fleet to use them for upgrades or new equipment. And, as a sub, always check the next planet's vendors first to make sure they don't have a modification available for your current level.

As for the skull, I kind of agree with it. It's an experience you really shouldn't miss.

Another one is Taral V and Maelstrom Prison for Republic, and Boarding Party and The Foundry for Empire. Those 4 flashpoints are critical if you have played Knights of the Old Republic I and/or II.

Deleted
    If you like PvP and running Flashpoints I would suggest doing concentrated bursts of PvP and FPs at different levels on different characters to help reduce the amount of repeated world/area missions when levelling alts.
    On your first character if you do most of the world missions at the same time as you class story missions when you run an alt you'll be doing all of those world missions again.
    However if on your first character if you have PvP'd and FP'd through most of say lvls 25-30, 35-40 and 45-50 doing only your class story missions, then when you run your second character you can do the world missions for those level ranges and PvP and FP through the levels that you have already seen the world missions.
    I hope I made some sort of sense there!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the wonderful suggestions all!

Realized something I had done wrong, I bought a speeder from the GTN rather than finding a Speeder Vendor. could had saved 4k credits >.<

But that's ok, all part of the learning experience.

Good point about rolling a repub for my first alt. I don't mind doing the same quests again, just not back to back. I think I will stagger back and forth with alts.

I'm trying to plot my legacy story. I think it will be a family tree with my main as the Grandfather and potentially my first Alt as the Grandmother. Then branch down from there. So it will be interesting to plan this with repubs in the mix. I hadn't thought to do that, I was originally going to go all Empire.

I guess it would be smart to get some repubs in there if I can eventually have another character learn one of their skills. Wouldn't mind if my main threw rocks at people lol.