Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ATron52 View Post
    Take the SWTOR approach, in my opinion. Give every race a CC break like EMFH but with a racially fitting name.

*These are just examples I came up with off the top of my head*

Human - Every Man for Himself
    Dwarf - Soul of the Mountain
    Gnome - Wily Gadgeteer
    Night Elf - Nature's Cunning
    Draenei - Spark of the Naaru
    Worgen - Greymane's Howl

Orc - Bloodcraze
    Troll - Mojo Risin'
    Tauren - Strength of the Mesa
    Undead - Will of the Forsaken
    Blood Elf - Never Ending Thirst
    Goblin - Underhanded Tricks

Pandaren - Unbinding Brew

Strip every race of any racials that give an in-game benefit, and give everyone at least one unique flavor ability or turn an already existing ability into a flavor ability.

Examples

Dwarf
    Stoneform no longer grants damage reduction and no longer cleanses poisons and bleeds.
    Crack Shot, Mace Specialization, Explorer, and Frost Resistance removed.
    New Ability: Drinks All Around - 1hr cooldown - The dwarf sets down a keg that lasts for five minutes. Right clicking the keg gives the character a flagon that lasts for fifteen minutes. This is a weak alcoholic beverage.

Night Elf
    Wisp Form no longer grants a speed bonus.
    Quickness, Elusiveness, and Nature Resistance removed.
    Shadowmeld now has a unique animation to depict the night elf sneakily going into stealth mode and tip-toeing around. This ability is NOT stealth and does NOT hide character in any way, just makes the model darker / grey with a shadow effect. Lasts for one minute or until combat and has a thirty minute cooldown.

Tauren
    Endurance, Nature Resistance, Cultivation, and War Stomp removed.
    New Ability: Ancestral Traditions - fifteen minute cooldown - The tauren reaches for a long, wooden pipe and proceeds to blow smoke rings through the air. Lasts for thirty seconds.
    New Ability: Strength of the Earth Mother - 1hr cooldown - The tauren stomps with all of their might causing earth spikes to shoot up from the ground around them. Spikes deal no damage add last for three seconds. (Visual uses the War Stomp animation and the spikes are similar to the newer earth elemental spikes from Cata)

These ideas aren't gold, but I'm sure people who are more creative than myself (the game designers) can come up with some really neat ones.
    I totally agree with you, Blizzard should make racials to be only cosmetics

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Currently the racials are causing a huge exodus of high-end raiding guilds to Horde. The Alliance raiding community is bleeding players by the day. Almost all of the competitive raiding guilds have switched to Horde with a very few exceptions like Midwinter, who only stay Alliance out of stubbornness.
    And they will eventually be forced to swing Horde due to running out of strong Alliance players to recruit, as they and other top alliance guilds discussed. Removing the racials is too little, too late at this point. There is simply no reason you would want to be Alliance over Horde as a high end player given that most of your guild finding opportunities lie on Horde side.

And I still believe that as much money as they try to milk out of players with their overpowered Horde racials, in reality, they probably stand to lose many, many more players if this problem continues to persist. When an Alliance guild dies, some of the players to Blizzard's desire might pay up the $55 to transfer.

But others, especially at this point, will now just quit the game instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty sure the people who actually need to minmax don't care about what their toon looks like. the other 99.9% of players are just stupid thinking racials will help them any.

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    pretty sure the people who actually need to minmax don't care about what their toon looks like. the other 99.9% of players are just stupid thinking racials will help them any.
    If anything, I think that the people who need to minmax do care, but they care about minmaxing more so they do it. That or they just say "fuck it" and play what they want and realize they are suffering a performance and even possibly a progression hit due to it.

Neither, by the way, feels very palatable. Which is why people aren't happy with racials one bit right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    guarantee you people chasing world firsts couldn't care less about whether they're toon looks like a troll or undead.

Race choice (GC apparently stated this on the official forums) may become uninteresting
    If they need racials, which will impact the flow of gameplay to make their races interesting they are doing it wrong in the first place.

Could also have a negative impact on RP (removal of race defining abilities) i.e. Removal of stoneform takes part of the dwarves potential stone-skin origins away
    It would have little effect in RP since most racials don't have a specific function or visual. It only fills a niche

Removal of a long term, core, part of the game - may annoy some old timers or new players alike
    Thats not a good enough excuse.

Racials should be removed or turned 100% cosmetic.

Deleted
    It would have little effect in RP since most racials don't have a specific function or visual. It only fills a niche
    The RP community, albeit small, in WoW is pretty hardcore - I reckon that community wouldn't look upon a complete removal kindly.

I think people would be okay with a cosmetic change however.

Racials that give a combat benefit (panda double food, troll haste, orc ap/sp, human pvp trinket, shadowmeld and so on) should be removed. They're situational and potentially as strong as trinkets, in pvp some silence or clears debuffs on themselves which is huge as well. 1% haste, 1% hit and such stats are fine because they are a static boost that can't be "abused" with other cds to make them insanely powerful. Trolls have 20% haste that they can combine with their cooldowns AND a 5% increased damage against beasts which in this tier proved to matter a lot.

Racials should interact a lot more with professions imo, dwarf 50% faster mining, Worgen 50% skinning, Night Elf and Tauren 50% faster herb collecting. Now things like that are already in but they should be limited to things like that, I'm 99% sure that everyone that consider themselves hardcore would play with Troll racial bonuses if given the choice (or orc). But is that a problem with orc and troll racials (and pandaren) being too strong in pve? I think so. They could increase the cooldown on those racials to 5minutes and they'd still beat every other racial bonus. The Panda racial *tinfoilhat* was still made so strong to make people pay to be panda, we all know it.

Do I think it'll change? N...yes, I think there's a lot of people that would change their race to their favorite if the "strong" racials got removed. I play dwarf because the 10% damage reduction can be the difference between a death or not in PvE but Dwarves look like they belong in the fucking ground... If given the choice (paladin restricted) I'd play Human, if I were horde I'd go Tauren.

And for those who say that racials won't change: Will of the Forsaken got nerfed from what it was originally, so was the human "pvp trinket" one... while it's not high on blizzards radar over things to worry about it's not impossible that racial bonuses will change or even get removed (at least the combat activate ones).
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

World of warcraft 20 years from now, everyone is a grey blob with 6 moves: attack, heal, increase damage by 25% for 10 seconds, reduce damage by 25% for 10 secs, 3 second stun, trinket.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rykin View Post
    World of warcraft 20 years from now, everyone is a grey blob with 6 moves: attack, heal, increase damage by 25% for 10 seconds, reduce damage by 25% for 10 secs, 3 second stun, trinket.

Sooner than that. Maybe next xpac this is what it will be like.

The argument in this thread is the same as a mage complaining he doesnt have chaosbolt to me. why not just give everyone every classes/races abilities and make nothing in this game unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Rykin View Post
    It seems some people won't be happy until the game is sterilized to that point.

I wouldn't care if they did I don't use half my racials anyways unless they are just passives. Though from a D&D standpoint racials are supposed to be tit for tat kind of thing so there should be pro's and con's for having certain races. They really feel like meaningless buffs.

combat and subtlety rogues are far behind assa in terms of dps. shall the spec differences be removed?(not like those their gameplay differs that much lol)

Deleted
    The argument in this thread is the same as a mage complaining he doesnt have chaosbolt to me. why not just give everyone every classes/races abilities and make nothing in this game unique.
    Making racials cosmetic would actually aid the balance of classes too. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Making racials cosmetic keeps the uniqueness whilst improving balance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TVLodge View Post
    Making racials cosmetic would actually aid the balance of classes too. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Making racials cosmetic keeps the uniqueness whilst improving balance.
    How would making them cosmetic only make a mage not want something another class has? Everyone here is complaining about humans(mostly) and their free trinket. both orc and troll racials are free trinkets and better than both dps trinkets for pvp. WotF is the same as a fearward should we remove that from priests since paladins dont have it? Should we let mages attack while iceblocked since paladins can? Hell DKs and locks have 2 pvp trinkets should we give every class 2? If every class is balanced and the the same where is the point in choosing one over the other? People choose a race they like over ones with perks everyday, look at all the people playing tauren shamans and druids over trolls still. Same with Nelf druids. Hell i even see dps nelf wars running around. Would you play this game if you played a mage and fought a rogue with all the same abilities as you?

I wouldn't like to see the Racials removed, to me they're an important enough aspect of the game. Simply because every race is ''good'' or ''bad'' in some sort of skill (Archaeology, using ranged weapons, shouts etc.). Maybe it would be nice to see changes to the racial abilities though, just don't remove them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    Really liked the way they did it in SW:TOR, racials were purely cosmetic and only for fun.
    I think that's absurd. One of the races is blind and only sees with the force. That should have gameplay ramifications- for instance, they can see in the dark I think just fine, but not in an area where the force is suppressed. Cybernetics does nothing. Being human does nothing. Being a cat person does nothing.

It's silly.

"If racials were cosmetic, why should I care to be any other race?"

Blizzard loses money this way. No one will race change, or hell, even faction change.

Deleted
    Racials are fine, as long as they don't affect the strengh of the character. For example the free "PvP Insignia" or the Pandaren-Racial are too strong (and yes, I play as a pandaren).

Deleted
    "If racials were cosmetic, why should I care to be any other race?"

Blizzard loses money this way. No one will race change, or hell, even faction change.
    It's true. They would also lose valuable cash for funding the game itself I suppose.