Thread: Prot pala 4 set

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    but you also get more chances at DP procs with 4 set too for even more shield slams thats why I took the set mainly(over an extra 1-1.2kish haste(at least with my current offset items. as for next tier idk i havent bothered looking or testing fights so i couldnt say how useful or not useful it will be on 10

Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post
    Gg coining them bracers!

also just raped Jikun last night 325k dps lollol prot deeps
    Bastard.

Sick parse, solo tank with a druid taking a TR or 2? Or just run them up and lolz? How'd you manage 3x nutriments, leave the platform late/early? Never been able to get more than 2, but never really considered it either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Umm I guess I got the first one when i flew back up after next 2? not quite sure how I got 3 TBH

Yea the Kitty HotW tanks 1 rake(I get back before 2nd one happens so my first stack doesnt reset for max vengance)

edit: yea looks like i got the buff like 1 second after i used my wings to leave platform 2...wow i musta just used it at the exact last second to get the buff before it landed on the platform lol

im more surprised i lived on the kill normally I require our holy pallies hand of sacs x2 for rake 5 and 6 and i can CD 7 and i die on 8 but i guess i lived with only a vigilance this time that and we killed it fast enough to not get 8
    Last edited by Jellospally; 2013-08-07 at 03:44 PM.

Good to know. We've been bringing in alts/friends for clears, so I've not tried any ranking stuff in a while, but I may get around to dusting off 4pc and trying some things next week.

Not sure if we have a viable "interim tank" for this, since I don't think WW, Ret, or DPS DK is sturd enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

haha true.... i look forward to solo tanking animus burn though...veng capped dps gonna be amazing. Solo tanking twins with 400k veng from eating 10 stacks of fan of flames is fun enough cant wait for 600k+ in a 2min window

prot pally in a 10 heroic is so fun on the side after playing 2 locks for multiple tiers lol hopefully it just gets better with next tier(and hope for no more tank stats next expac!?!?!??! )

You probably won't be able to solo tank fights next tier. They put in a lot of hard swap mechanics that you can't bubble off.

O.o noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Oh well maybe the other tank can actually tank(i don't really let him tank haha) he only gets to tank first 3 and primo(I guess lei shen once we get animus down) for a while I was solo tanking council too, but we got more raid dps from both of us tanking since his cat dps blows on council

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by promdate View Post
    You probably won't be able to solo tank fights next tier. They put in a lot of hard swap mechanics that you can't bubble off.
    That sounds fairly boring, I always hated enforced tank swap mechanics.

Though, we always seem to find a way around the hard swap mechanics, I see it as my personal challenge to find ways to solo tank all fights

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post

Though, we always seem to find a way around the hard swap mechanics, I see it as my personal challenge to find ways to solo tank all fights

I am with you on that!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post

Solo tanking wasn't really difficult, all you had to have was 2 macros, 1 for Bubble and 1 for DivProt with cancelaura in both. Of course some bosses just required you to stay alive(Council/Tortos for example) and wasn't really a question of pressing a button at X stacks, more of overgearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Solo tanking wasn't really difficult, all you had to have was 2 macros, 1 for Bubble and 1 for DivProt with cancelaura in both. Of course some bosses just required you to stay alive(Council/Tortos for example) and wasn't really a question of pressing a button at X stacks, more of overgearing.
    It depends how you define solo tanking, bosses like durumu are of course a piss in the park, but there are some bosses that are not as easy.

Solo tanking twins, lei-shen, council, tortos, megaera, jin'rokh, ji-kun etc requires you to have more than a cancelaura macro.

Siege of Orgrimmar

Immerseus:
    Corrosive Blast - should be able to bubble

Norushen:
    Self Doubt - Unaffected by Invulnerability

Sha of Pride:
    Wounded Pride - Unaffected by Invulnerability

Galakras:
    Fracture - Unaffected by Invulnerability

Iron Juggernaut:
    Flame Vents (Ignite Armor) - Unaffected by Invulnerability

General Nazgrim:
    Sundering Blow - You can bubble, and currently on PTR you can dodge/parry the application, even though the spell says "Can't be dodged or parried". Might not go live like this, just how Hard Stare didn't go live to dodge/parry the application

Malkorok:
    Fatal Strike - Unaffected by Invulnerability (Also says can't be dodged/parried)

Thock the Bloodthirsty:
    Fearsome Roar (Panic): Unaffected by Invulnerability

those are all of the major debuffs that can't be removed by bubble/bop.

Deleted
    I still have to see all these in action though, a lot of debuffs that cant be removed by bubble/HoP can often be resetted by some other fashion, either by a leap of faith kiting for a second or two, a dps taunting taking 1 stack or a banner.

Some of them can maybe simply be outhealed? Like static wound on Jin'Rokh.

I have not read up on the bosses in SoO, but will be fun finding ways around the debuffs that cant be removed.

Just imagine that this was the T15 PTR, and we were looking at like twins and Lei-Shen, and imagine that the notes said that Fan of Flames can not be bubbled away, Decapitate goes through immunities, static smash and whatever that dot in P3 is called on Lei-Shen cant be removed by immunities either, we would be sitting here "impossible to solo tank those bosses!".

The reality is that Fan of Flames on normal can easily be healed up to 10 stacks, at 10 stacks he stops casting fan of flames on you for some weird reason and casts it at a random raid member (never the same raid member twice), anyone in the raid can easily survive 1 stack of fan of flames effectively resetting your stacks at 10.

In heroic you can do the exact same thing, 10 stacks is doable in heroic with cd rotation, however in heroic you can also easily reset your stacks after inferno, simply by having a dps taunt or popping a banner.

On Lei-Shen, you can just eat decapitate with some cooldown stacking, no issues at all. Never bothered bubbling it because it gives less vengeance then

The static smash you can just use div prot on

The dot in P3 can be reset by moving 10 yards away from Lei-Shen when he is casting a spell.

So even if all these "tank swap debuffs" were unaffected by immunity, they would still be easily dealt with one tank, I guess the same will be true for T16 on a lot of those mechanics.
    Last edited by mmoc4d8e5d065a; 2013-08-07 at 04:30 PM.

Honestly I'm glad they're stopping solo tank fights. We don't do much of it but knowing my bear co-tank anything that can be solo tanked he'll do it because as he reminded us last night when we didn't summon him first when getting started, "I'm the Raid Leader and the Main Tank". -__-

Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    Honestly I'm glad they're stopping solo tank fights. We don't do much of it but knowing my bear co-tank anything that can be solo tanked he'll do it because as he reminded us last night when we didn't summon him first when getting started, "I'm the Raid Leader and the Main Tank". -__-
    After Nairobi's comment from a few days ago, I can't help but read your comments with Sarah McLachlan playing in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    Mangling sounds like a total dick. He's the type of personality that would hold a raid back, in all honesty.

Mangling sounds like a total dick. He's the type of personality that would hold a raid back, in all honesty.
    If this was a year ago I would have probably left for greener pastures, but as I've said before I don't quite care anymore, I have fun most of the time (other than his raging about things). I do find that he tends to think way too highly of himself though, as though he has to be the star of the show because he's so "leet".

To stay on topic, if I'm running 10-man, would the 4pc be actually worth using? I have had bad luck right now with drops so my chest and shoulders are both the "bad" tanking variety with Parry and Dodge, but they replaced 489 and 496 gear so I took them for the raw stat increase. If I were to get the 502 LFR tier pieces, would those be better than the higher-level gear based solely on having the bonus? On that note, if the 4pc isn't that great then for instance shoulders, I saw the shoulders from Tortos mentioned but those are Crit/Haste, so is that really better overall (I actually have those shoulders but I use them for DPS, so I'd wait until I got a second set as I don't have anything to replace them with yet, and I still go DPS for Durumu). I have the crafted helm and boots (both upgraded 2/2) already, and 2pc tier in legs and hands from lucky Nalakk kills but I'm not above replacing them with better gear if I'll improve overall.

In your situation, no. The 4p wouldn't be beneficial for you in ToT. If you had the 4p option when you zoned into Siege, then it could be useful until you had better item options. But if you're not doing things like solo tanking fights, or trying to abuse the bonus, it's not worth it.

In your situation, no. The 4p wouldn't be beneficial for you in ToT. If you had the 4p option when you zoned into Siege, then it could be useful until you had better item options. But if you're not doing things like solo tanking fights, or trying to abuse the bonus, it's not worth it.
    Okay I'll keep that in mind when looking at upgrades. I solo tank Horridon and that's about it. Qon if Mangles gets caught by tornadoes, but that's usually a wipe anyways because people derp around and die.

Deleted
    Now how do you guys think it stands up compared to all the other tanking 4 sets with most prot pally going haste