Page 1 of 3
LastLast

It's 2013 and we still have server maintenance.

Some other slightly ironic things about modern life.

-There are no robots.

-I still have to wear pants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noo View Post

-There are no robots.

We have robots, my job was taken over by one. I was depressed until I started wearing mini-skirts on the public trans bus. The cold plastic is comforting to my testes.

You have to wear pants? Does that mean...i´d have to, too? *mildlydisturbed*

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, games that have been out for only a few years (TOR, Rift) also have tuesday server maintenance.

It just turns out it's not safe to run diagnostics and tweaks on a sensitive piece of machinery while it's on, running and handling loads of valuable data that people would flip shit over if it was lost.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    How else do you expect the servers to stay functioning most of the time? Of course there is still server maintenance. Without it, they would start slowing down and crash completely eventually. They would also not be able to implement any new features or patches for the game without downtime for maintenance.

Have you ever turned your computer off? Have you ever ran virus scans? Have you ever ran defrag? Have you ever made sure that there was no dust inside your computer? If you answered yes to ANY of those questions, that is maintenance. You computer is similar to a server. Without proper maintenance, it will start to slow down and not work properly.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

It's Blizzard, what do you expect? They haven't even unified their chat systems properly and it often goes down during maintenance along with their games.

I don't think you understand what maintenance is.
    Stopping scheduled maintenance would be ludicrously unwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    How else do you expect the servers to stay functioning most of the time? Of course there is still server maintenance. Without it, they would start slowing down and crash completely eventually. They would also not be able to implement any new features or patches for the game without downtime for maintenance.

Have you ever turned your computer off? Have you ever ran virus scans? Have you ever ran defrag? Have you ever made sure that there was no dust inside your computer? If you answered yes to ANY of those questions, that is maintenance. You computer is similar to a server. Without proper maintenance, it will start to slow down and not work properly.

Common man, they've been getting over 100 million dollars every year for 10 years... give or take.

Have you ever had a dream? Have you ever wondered what's possible? Have you ever bent reality with your mind and lived in a new world? Point being, some things should be but they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerdanger View Post
    I'm upset skateboards don't hover yet.
    thisthisthis

Quote Originally Posted by strangerdanger View Post
    I'm upset skateboards don't hover yet.
    Zemeckis has 2 years
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

You know the servers need a break too.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diabl0 View Post
    It's Blizzard, what do you expect? They haven't even unified their chat systems properly and it often goes down during maintenance along with their games.
    Yupe. They have "no resources" to fix something as simple as not prompting pure DPS classes for their role during role check ...

Blizzard fanboys have always defended maintenance by saying that it's because WoW has an astronomical number of players and that it's the only way. Well, since WoW's sub numbers are falling like a rock in a vacuum, if what the fanboys say is truth, we should be see a vastly improved "maintenance experience" soon.

I never really thought about it and seeing as they have made such strides with streaming launchers and such i hope they can move to a full on hotfix system int he future.

I think a lot of the maintenance is database-related. Now, I don't know what they use but databases are almost always the bottleneck when you have huge amounts of data. You have to constantly rebuild indexes so things don't run to a crawl, and I imagine that's where most of the maintenance is as with huge data, those indexes take a long time to build. My job has like a hundred gigabytes of data (maybe 200, not sure I'm not the DBA) and we need to rebuild indexes at least once a week, now granted we don't operate 24-7 so we do this maintenance in the middle of the night, but it's a couple of hours of downtime where none of our internal systems will work (and this causes issues if the indexing process runs into business hours). If we have that, I can only imagine what the maintenance must be for WoW with god knows how much data, to say nothing of how it's stored (I somehow doubt it's a RDBMS; I think I read once that Blizzard wrote their own database system for WoW).

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Blizzard fanboys have always defended maintenance by saying that it's because WoW has an astronomical number of players and that it's the only way. Well, since WoW's sub numbers are falling like a rock in a vacuum, if what the fanboys say is truth, we should be see a vastly improved "maintenance experience" soon.
    As an IT professional, I adore these threads
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Yupe. They have "no resources" to fix something as simple as not prompting pure DPS classes for their role during role check ...

And arrogant players come up with the fanboy argument against anyone who disagrees with them.
    A rant about subscription numbers for the sake of it.
    Are there not enough unnecessary threads elsewhere for your liking ?

We simply don't know what goes on during maintenance.
    Considering we have rolling restarts half the time, it is already a vast improvement over the previous mandatory downtime every week.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think it's perfectly acceptable for wow to go down for a bit to keep the servers running fluidly.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by noo View Post

-There are no robots.

It's 2013, but you're not playing a 2013 game. Hence the maintenance.

Someone has to vacuum the fans!!