Poll: Would another cold war be worth it?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    One can tell your general education stems mainly from video games and cinema.
    He's right. The necessities of war spur innovation.

Deleted
    The Space Race of this century is to get rid of fosil Energy because it will run out in this timeperiod.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lavafoxx View Post
    In the long run I think pulling out from the "world culture" would be good for the USA, it would let us heal from our self-inflicted wounds and reconnect with who we are.
    Who are we? I'll bet my idea and your idea of who we are don't match up very well.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    No it wouldn't be a bad thing, humanity progresses much faster in a state of war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    He's right. The necessities of war spur innovation.
    Progresses at certain things, yes, such as trauma medicine, weaponry, means of information gathering, means of information concealment, etc.

While those may have spinoff benefits outside of warfighting (e.g. antibiotics, rocketry, microwave ovens, satellite imagery, modern cryptography, etc.), it still incurs a large amount of waste (in equipment/infrastructure/people destroyed) and keeps resources from other fields of progress (e.g. medical research funds that would otherwise go to cancer research instead fund trauma medicine research).

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    While the incredible advancements during that time were awesome for humanity as a whole, the real threat of nuclear annihilation was not so much. Sure, we can still do that (annihilate ourselves and turn back the clock on human civilization dozens if not hundreds of years), but in reality that was the closest we came to doing such.

When you read works by astronomers and astrophysicists, saying that there are likely hundreds if not thousands of intelligent civilizations scattered through out the cosmos, but maybe the reason why we've not seen any so far is because a good portion of them annihilated themselves in a fit of sheer stupidity. That's the moment so far in our history that we've come the closest.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect