Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    So I recently decides to play my mage the "right way".

I speced out of IW and took Invocation ... my god, what a PITA. How is maintaining a stupid buff every min "engaging gameplay"?

How the fuck did this get out of beta?

A scenario and heroic later, back to IW. Screw the "right way".

I miss the old combustion sooooo much.

I speced out of IW and took Invocation ... my god, what a PITA. How is maintaining a stupid buff every min "engaging gameplay"?

How the fuck did this get out of beta?

A scenario and heroic later, back to IW. Screw the "right way".
    Honestly, because they are "mathematically sound"

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post

Welcome to Ret Paladain for many many years now. Keeping up a stupid buff just to do normal damage is so fun, right?

I'm not on board with the complaining on level 90 talents for Mages in general though. As a Hunter main, I feel like my choices are FAR less interesting. Comes down to one practically mandatory ability for all 3 specs in 99% of situations that's just a boring ass instant cast button you press every 15 seconds with no real significance.

Overall I think some complaining for Mages is justified and they could use some work but I don't think they're anywhere even remotely close to as bad as Hunters and Rogues are right now.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Welcome to Ret Paladain for many many years now. Keeping up a stupid buff just to do normal damage is so fun, right?

I'm not on board with the complaining on level 90 talents for Mages in general though. As a Hunter main, I feel like my choices are FAR less interesting. Comes down to one practically mandatory ability for all 3 specs in 99% of situations that's just a boring ass instant cast button you press every 15 seconds with no real significance.

Overall I think some complaining for Mages is justified and they could use some work but I don't think they're anywhere even remotely close to as bad as Hunters and Rogues are right now.
    I rather they just remove the whole tier and put the damage into the our spells. No tier is better than PITA tier.

I think in terms of actually gameplay, spec diversity and talent flavor, ALL the pures (bar warlocks) have it bad. The fact that mages have different colored spell animations hides that the specs are not that much different from each other.

Hunters and rogues definitely need help next xpac, but mages do as well. They deserve it just as much as the other pures.

I hate the fact that each spec uses 1 stat. Haste arcane or crit arcane isn't viable at ALL.

If I wanted to respec for a fight I would have to regem and probably enchant all my gear again to keep in line.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crysie View Post
    I think in terms of actually gameplay, spec diversity and talent flavor, ALL the pures (bar warlocks) have it bad. The fact that mages have different colored spell animations hides that the specs are not that much different from each other.

Hunters and rogues definitely need help next xpac, but mages do as well. They deserve it just as much as the other pures.
    Mages need it more. Our level 90 tier has been poor since beta. Fire has been crit/rng heavy since the invention of hot streak like years ago. Arcane got screwed when they made it so u can't dps without rune of power. iw is pretty much useless bar like a few encounters. Frost scales too badly. I think the devs forget that playing your class right is supposed to be fun... Not frustrating or a chance game
    Last edited by Not Againnn; 2013-08-07 at 05:07 PM.

There is so much wrong in this thread I do not even know where to start. Like are we serious here? I understand venting, but DAMN SON, at least get some facts correct. No time to address them all:

Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    I hate the fact that each spec uses 1 stat. Haste arcane or crit arcane isn't viable at ALL.

If I wanted to respec for a fight I would have to regem and probably enchant all my gear again to keep in line.
    Is this a legitimate complaint? Do you really want crit/mastery/haste to be equally viable for EVERY spec? You have GOT to be trolling right now. Clearly you do not understand how the game works.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wazooty View Post
    I guess my biggest gripe is how...dull mages are. Fire and arcane consist of three abilities cast the same way over and over and refreshing a bomb. The only things that are woven into that are evo/rune every minute. Arcane is only fun every 3 minutes when CDs are up. Other than that it's either supremely annoying because your rune of power is so damn tedious to deal with sometimes, or it's supremely boring because you finally get to stand in the rune for an appreciable amount of time and do your plain arse rotation.

They really really need something else to press.
    Dull? Really? In comparison to lets say a......shadow priest? VT/SWP -> MB -> MF.........awesome. I am not quite sure what you expect from a rotation. If you are calling fire dull, then you are doing it wrong. Fire consists of 3 abilities? Really? Then your dps must be shit. I am not quite sure why you would want us to have 3,476 abilities that we cast in different orders? Why is that more "fun" than having 7-8 abilities that you rotate based on the current situation to output the most damage possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusteyy View Post
    There is so much wrong in this thread I do not even know where to start. Like are we serious here? I understand venting, but DAMN SON, at least get some facts correct. No time to address them all:

Is this a legitimate complaint? Do you really want crit/mastery/haste to be equally viable for EVERY spec? You have GOT to be trolling right now. Clearly you do not understand how the game works.
    you clearly can't read lol. Haste arcane and mastery arcane was equal or nearly equal in 5.0 soooo. It's possible. Please leave if u aren't going to post thing u hate about the Mage class.

At least Mages have different goals and mechanics to their specs. At least with Fire you have Combusts to set up or Arcane charges to manage.

Hunters literally replace 2 buttons per spec that go in the exact same spot in priority. That is the entirety of spec differentiation. We don't manage anything. We don't set up anything. We do the EXACT same thing in all 3 specs with different names on two of the buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I think the top tier talents have always intruded too much into the rotation. It's been improved, but still. I mostly played Fire on my mage and I felt like I already had an interesting enough rotation - RoP/Invoke/etc was just getting in the way of it.

Also, Alter Time sounded cool on paper but in practice it was just a fiddly hassle. Almost want it made to not affect your DPS, and only useful as a survival ability.

But otherwise, Mages are still cool. Thread is drama queeny IMO.
    AT is fiddly? AT = more damage. To any competent mage that is a good thing. I love AT and the flexability it gives me. I think the concept is awesome and it flows well in both PvE and PvP. If you find it cumbersome, you are not using it correctly. (or excuse me......"you're doing it wrong")

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    At least Mages have different goals and mechanics to their specs. At least with Fire you have Combusts to set up or Arcane charges to manage.

Hunters literally replace 2 buttons per spec that go in the exact same spot in priority. That is the entirety of spec differentiation. We don't manage anything. We don't set up anything. We do the EXACT same thing in all 3 specs with different names on two of the buttons.
    Yeah but your dps also isn't reliant on trinket procs, bomb snapshotting, or gear. Before u can even play fire you need absurd crit, and sometimes that doesn't even guarantee good dps. Arcane charges in this build is mindless.
    Last edited by Not Againnn; 2013-08-07 at 05:18 PM.

you clearly can't read lol. Haste arcane and mastery arcane was equal or nearly equal in 5.0 soooo. It's possible. Please leave if u aren't going to post thing u hate about the Mage class.
    Yes, having 2 be similar is possible. Mastery was still better and when you min/max it down depending on ilvl haste can be better. There is ALWAYS going to be a top dog stat/spec, always. Asking to have all 3 be equal is asinine.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah but your dps also isn't reliant on trinket procs, bomb snapshotting, or gear. Before u can even play fire you need absurd crit, and sometimes that doesn't even gluten tee good dps. Arcane charges in this build is mindless.
    Wrong. Just wrong. Again. If you want to do optimal dps, you must rely on trinket procs. Warlocks rely on trinket procs. Warriors rely on trinket procs. Unholy DK's rely on trinket procs. Fire is viable starting from about 33% crit (not absurd at all as that is easily attainable at approx. 520ilvl).

Stop spewing nonsense and get your facts straight.

Yes, having 2 be similar is possible. Mastery was still better and when you min/max it down depending on ilvl haste can be better. There is ALWAYS going to be a top dog stat/spec, always. Asking to have all 3 be equal is asinine.

- - - Updated - - -

Wrong. Just wrong. Again. If you want to do optimal dps, you must rely on trinket procs. Warlocks rely on trinket procs. Warriors rely on trinket procs. Unholy DK's rely on trinket procs. Fire is viable starting from about 33% crit (not absurd at all as that is easily attainable at approx. 520ilvl).

Stop spewing nonsense and get your facts straight.
    Sorry if you start fire at 33% you are going to have a bad time. Haste arcane and mastery arcane were neck and neck for most players . All dps relies on trinket procs but no other class has to manage them + alter time. If u fuck ur trinket procs and CDs during alter time your dps suffers too much. Can you please get a clue

The reason they are unequal is because the way the level 90 talents interact with the specs. The arcane change destroyed haste as a main stat for that spec completely. I really enjoyed haste invo arcane
    Last edited by Not Againnn; 2013-08-07 at 05:26 PM.

Sorry if you start fire at 33% you are going to have a bad time. Haste arcane and mastery arcane were neck and neck for most players . All dps relies on trinket procs but no other class has to manage them + alter time. If u fuck ur trinket procs and CDs during alter time your dps suffers too much. Can you please get a clue
    What is everyone's deal with AT? I love the spell and think it does nothing but assist us in doing more damage. It is most definitely NOT required for good damage. TOP damage sure, but not good damage. Everyone's damage suffers if they fuck up their trinket procs. Stop it with the "woe is me" bull shit and realize that the stuff you are saying happens to everyone, not just mages.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate this class because everyone thinks we just two shot everyone in PvP.

I'm guessing these people are playing against naked toons that don't know how to use any of their silences/interrupts.

What is everyone's deal with AT? I love the spell and think it does nothing but assist us in doing more damage. It is most definitely NOT required for good damage. TOP damage sure, but not good damage. Everyone's damage suffers if they fuck up their trinket procs. Stop it with the "woe is me" bull shit and realize that the stuff you are saying happens to everyone, not just mages.
    Uh... Alter time is only for mages . And it's mandatory as fire to use it to get a good combust up. It's an awesome spell but its just too clunky compared to other dps tools. No other class has to worry about that crap. It's clunky. If I HAVE use it to survive a mechanic I lose out on literally thousands of dps later...

And trinkets have the most impact on Mage dps because of at. It isn't hard. It's just annoying and unfun.
    Last edited by Not Againnn; 2013-08-07 at 05:34 PM.

How is AT as fire even hard? It's up for what, 2 globals? If you're sitting in AT as fire and losing trinket procs or something you are definitely doing it wrong. AT is probably the one thing we have the most control of as fire.

- - - Updated - - -

Uh... Alter time is only for mages . And it's mandatory as fire to use it to get a good combust up. It's an awesome spell but its just too clunky compared to other dps tools. No other class has to worry about that crap. It's clunky. If I HAVE use it to survive a mechanic I lose out of literally thousands of dps later...

And trinkets have the most impact on Mage dps because of at. It isn't hard. It's just annoying and unfun.
    AT is not clunky. If you are using AT to survive a mechanic you are either a) Fucking up that mechanic, or b) not using TS / G. Invis properly. Trinkets are easy to manage - set up a WA/TMW, wait until they proc, set up combustion, GG. How is this hard or clunky?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost1129 View Post
    How is AT as fire even hard? It's up for what, 2 globals? If you're sitting in AT as fire and losing trinket procs or something you are definitely doing it wrong. AT is probably the one thing we have the most control of as fire.

- - - Updated - - -

AT is not clunky. If you are using AT to survive a mechanic you are either a) Fucking up that mechanic, or b) not using TS / G. Invis properly. Trinkets are easy to manage - set up a WA/TMW, wait until they proc, set up combustion, GG. How is this hard or clunky?
    Because its not fun. I didn't say it was hard at all. Just annoying gameplay

10+ Year Old Account
    arcane explosion for aoe.
    i miss blast nova and all the fire aoe.
    Um... we had blast nova and flamestrike... And blast nova wasn't useful until Cata... Unless you count Dragon's breath but thats not really an AoE

Deleted
    Not Againnn has got all the whines and no solutions.

If you can't propose a solution yourself then stop complaining.

1. Mages have always crossed over spell trees. It's what mages do.

Yeah I'm pretty much sure that's the way for almost every class in the game. If you don't enjoy this then quit.

/ ... Does this really need an explanation?

Yeah but your dps also isn't reliant on trinket procs, bomb snapshotting, or gear. Before u can even play fire you need absurd crit, and sometimes that doesn't even guarantee good dps. Arcane charges in this build is mindless.
    How is any mage spec purely dependant on trinket procs? Thats pure BS. And I'm pretty sure everyone is reliant on gear to pull DPS. If you aren't geared for fire then go frost. It's not like Mages can't raid at all until they're 40% crit.

Honestly can you take a step back and read your posts? Your implying that in order for this game to be good you should be able to do whatever the hell you want and it will give you good results.

This is why you can't give a solution to any of the 'problems' you address.

Even your name is whining.