Thread: 760 too hot?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

760 too hot?

Its getting very close to my order date for my new build(less than a week), but im having second thoughts about getting a 760. From all the reviews ive read recently, it leaves little room for overclocking, and gets super hot. Does anyone have one of these?

Overclocking graphics card isn't anywhere even close to the benefit of overclocking CPU in nine cases out of ten so I really wouldn't make it first priority when planning new computer build.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mercs213 View Post
    Your GPU temps will depend on the ambient temp, cooler on the card, case airflow, etc. What "reviews" are you reading?
    I've read most reviews and looked at a lot of comments from tons of people. Most reviews say it gets hot, but the comments if what im worried about. Some people were claiming that it was getting 100c under load.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    but the comments if what im worried about. Some people were claiming that it was getting 100c under load.
    That's not normal. It's either extremely overclocked, fan turned almost completely off, really bad case airflow or broken cooler on the card. 70C looks more normal result.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

why'd you get a 760?

Can you please post your build

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    why'd you get a 760?
    cause its a great card?
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

10+ Year Old Account
    760 overclocks great and runs pretty cool..

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A..._II_OC/31.html

Whatever you heard is false.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    760 overclocks great
    Core, no. Memory, yes. The 760 gets a 10~13% increase in performance when going from 6000 Mhz to 7400 Mhz memory.

My Gigabyte 760 can only overclock 50~75 Mhz core (Techpowerup got 100 Mhz).

The 760 does not run hot at all, especially since core voltages and clocks can't be adjusted much. Depending on ambient, 760s with legit dual fan coolers (or better) run 60-75C at load.

10+ Year Old Account
    Core increasement looking at techpowerup.

- Asus = 169 MHz
    - Gigabyte = 105
    - EVGA = 148
    - MSI = 160
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Core increasement looking at techpowerup.
    Each vendor has a different factory OC.

Overall, all 760s plateau at ~1190 Mhz (up ~100 from the Gigabyte 760's 1085), which is likely the best case scenario.

10+ Year Old Account
    As i said, im about 1 week away from ordering. I would like a good fan suggestion thats fairly cheap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Overclocking graphics card isn't anywhere even close to the benefit of overclocking CPU in nine cases out of ten so I really wouldn't make it first priority when planning new computer build.
    This, i used to overclock my gpu to get some better scores in benchmarks and that's it, but that was when i had my Geforce 4 420Ti
    Now gpu have more power than cpu can usually handle, especially in minecraft. As for me i overclocked my cpu but only at lower core usage, i don't need faster all cores, because it's fast enough.
    I have GF 670GTX and it's cool enough for me, i don't need to OC it.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Core, no. Memory, yes. The 760 gets a 10~13% increase in performance when going from 6000 Mhz to 7400 Mhz memory.

My Gigabyte 760 can only overclock 50~75 Mhz core (Techpowerup got 100 Mhz).

The 760 does not run hot at all, especially since core voltages and clocks can't be adjusted much. Depending on ambient, 760s with legit dual fan coolers (or better) run 60-75C at load.
    How much performance you gained with that?
    Last edited by mmocda5509483c; 2013-08-08 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fauier View Post
    How much performance you gained with that?
    13% in Unigine, less in 3DMark.

Core: 1136 Mhz (factory OC +51 Mhz)
    Memory: 7416 Mhz (up from 6000 Mhz)

Stock
    Overclocked

That's not normal. It's either extremely overclocked, fan turned almost completely off, really bad case airflow or broken cooler on the card. 70C looks more normal result.
    This is what Im seeing as normal w/ the 770 and 760.
    The limiting factor here is typically temperatures, which quickly hit 80C at the highest boost bin and its 1.2v operating voltage.

10+ Year Old Account
    How hot is too hot before i need to worry? I will be using this pc a lot, and im worried about it being at 70-80c for long periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    How hot is too hot before i need to worry? I will be using this pc a lot, and im worried about it being at 70-80c for long periods of time.
    Dual/triple fan 760 runs at 70C-ish (MSI, Gigabyte, Asus etc), stock fan card runs at 80C. Those numbers are totally normal and nothing to worry about. Automatic shutdown is somewhere around 110C which is considered to be dangerously overheating GPU.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dual/triple fan 760 runs at 70C-ish (MSI, Gigabyte, Asus etc), stock fan card runs at 80C. Those numbers are totally normal and nothing to worry about. Automatic shutdown is somewhere around 110C which is considered to be dangerously overheating GPU.
    Okay. I was worried because you hear about people saying their gpu runs at 30-50c

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats in idle or while playing WoW where the card wont utilize the full power of the card.
    Can also be they water cooled the cards, but I doubt someone is gonna do that for a 250 $ card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats in idle or while playing WoW where the card wont utilize the full power of the card.
    Can also be they water cooled the cards, but I doubt someone is gonna do that for a 250 $ card.
    Im not water cooling anything. My first build needs to be as simple as possible. Im probably not going to overclock the gpu any as i dont want it getting hot, and i mostly play wow 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    cause its a great card?
    he may be able to get better without hurting his build.

That's why I asked him to post his build.