Page 1 of 24
... LastLast

Why, as a landlord, I will never rent to Section 8 tenants

In New Jersey I'm required to accept Section 8 housing insofar as an existing tenant is concerned, but I'm under no obligation to accept a new tenant who is on section 8, nor would I have any compunction about doing so.

This is a nightmare and every tenant who thinks their landlord is an asshole hopefully realizes that we deal with just as many tenants who make us that way.

As a landlord myself, this video fills me with dread. I've seen some really bad tenants, but nothing like this... and it only reaffirms my decision to never accept section 8 housing... whether or not they pass the background check.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    In New Jersey I'm required to accept Section 8 housing insofar as an existing tenant is concerned, but I'm under no obligation to accept a new tenant who is on section 8, nor would I have any compunction about doing so.

This is a nightmare and every tenant who thinks their landlord is an asshole hopefully realizes that we deal with just as many tenants who make us that way.

As a landlord myself, this video fills me with dread. I've seen some really bad tenants, but nothing like this... and it only reaffirms my decision to never accept section 8 housing... whether or not they pass the background check.

So someone on section 8 housing is automatically indicative of someone being a bad tenant?

10+ Year Old Account
    my grandmother is a land lord of sorts(she lives out in the bush type area and bought all the houses around hers so she can choose her neighbors.) and a few years ago one of her tenants got arrested because he was having a dog fighting ring and not feeding his dogs n beating them and stuff and one of them mauled her dog to death and she basically just stopped letting people move into them after that...
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

15+ Year Old Account
    This just in: Not everyone on government assistance is the exact same. Also, self-financed tenants can and do trash houses, regardless of their income or rent.

My mother does property management. I help her collect rent and do other errands sometimes. Many of her low-income, assisted tenants are older people who just need some help, and are better than average tenants. Even the ones who are shittier than average are no where near this shitty.

Besides, it being section 8 housing is actually a boon in this case. There is a backer for the damages if you follow the proper channels. A 'normal' poor tenant could just skip out, and even if you find them and sue them, if they have very limited income they are likely collections proof.

This post, and video, are just old-school "Welfare Queen" poor-hating.

I'm curious how anything in that video can be claimed to have happened BECAUSE the person was on Section 8.

You know, they could just be fucking scumbags.

As someone above said, this sounds like a newly dressed version of the "Welfare Queen" story from Ronald McReagan.

Because people on government assistance are the only ones who trash houses/apartments, amirite?

10+ Year Old Account
    They all can't be that way, but maybe so.

He lost me at the religious crap at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    He was just surprised that demons can also summon you.
    That's a soviet russia of dark magic right here.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ldemort/simple

So basically a shitty tenant moved in and he blames Section 8 on the shitty tenant? Also, I think it's insanely stupid to buy a house, while living in another house and relying on the person who's renting the house to essentially be able to pay the mortgage on the house they are renting. Sure, there is a TON of landlords that do it, but if you don't have the money to be able to pay it without having someone renting it, or if the furnace breaks or a massive leak happens when they are on vacation in the winter, quite honestly you shouldn't be trying to be a landlord in the first place.

Like I said, the chick could have been getting child support by 8 fathers and not been on Section 8, the same exact thing would have happened.

I will say, friends of mine are landlords and they do feel the same way about renting to Section 8'ers.

Oh and for the person who asked, "Section 8" is basically where you don't live in government owned housing, but government pays all/some of your rent.
    Last edited by alturic; 2013-08-08 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    So someone on section 8 housing is automatically indicative of someone being a bad tenant?
    Yes. At least in the case of people who are not disabled.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    So basically a shitty tenant moved in and he blames Section 8 on the shitty tenant?
    I would too.

This guy lives in Georgia and while I'm not familiar with his state's laws regarding it, it's quite possible that he may not be entitled to reject an applicant based on section 8 status.

Section 8 is welfare housing where the government pays some portion of your rent.

I would not be inclined to allow someone to reside on my property if they couldn't afford to do so without government assistance. Exceptions can be made for the disabled or elderly... but not someone young and able-bodied.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree whole heartingly

I'd imagine the criteria for being a "bad tenant" is pretty simple...probably comes down to A) damaging/disrespecting the property B) not paying rent C) not communicating problems. Possibly a D and E I'm not recollecting right now. But I'm not sure how any of them are a general description of anyone who need housing assistance. Since B is covered by the Gov, unless I'm not understanding what Section 8 is.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

It'd be hard to imagine someone who ISN'T poor trashing a house like this, because they'd just get sued and lose whatever assets they have and would find it hard to buy a home or rent with an eviction on their record.

That doesn't mean everyone on Section 8 will do this, but it DOES mean that someone that has money and gives a shit about their life or future is pretty damn unlikely to.

This one time I saw a video about these bad tenants who were Jewish so now I'll never rent to a Jew.

Oh, I see what I did there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Because people on government assistance are the only ones who trash houses/apartments, amirite?
    Well as I've said, I've had shitty tenants and don't take Section 8. I've had people trash my houses to be sure, but welfare recipients are statistically more likely to do so.

- - - Updated - - -

I would too.

This guy lives in Georgia and while I'm not familiar with his state's laws regarding it, it's quite possible that he may not be entitled to reject an applicant based on section 8 status.

Section 8 is welfare housing where the government pays some portion of your rent.

I would not be inclined to allow someone to reside on my property if they couldn't afford to do so without government assistance. Exceptions can be made for the disabled or elderly... but not someone young and able-bodied.
    Just ooc, why exactly do you feel someone who can't pay the rent on their own doesn't "deserve" to live in your house? Is it LITERALLY because the stigma attached to welfare or? I mean, it's guaranteed payment so it's definitely not that.

I'm actually more curious on how the government can force you as a landlord to rent your house out to ANYONE. If someone on Section 8 wanted to move in and you found out they had Section 8, you can't simply say "Well, we are looking over all of the others interested and will be in contact" and off they go?

Even if you are required to accept it from current tenants, (I don't know how NJ is) but outside of those weird "winter months" you can't simply kick someone out of your house for NO reason at all, even though you know it's because they want to start using Section 8?

So you don't know, and we're just going to make shit up to support our position, then?

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    I'd imagine the criteria for being a "bad tenant" is pretty simple...probably comes down to A) damaging/disrespecting the property B) not paying rent C) not communicating problems. Possibly a D and E I'm not recollecting right now. But I'm not sure how any of them are a general description of anyone who need housing assistance. Since B is covered by the Gov, unless I'm not understanding what Section 8 is.
    Not abiding by lease terms is a big one.

I'm currently dealing with a tenant who has decided to declare bankruptcy and receive an automatic stay a week before her eviction court hearing. I haven't received rent from that property since March. She is a welfare recipient (Though not Section 8).

Bad tenants come in all manner of flavors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Laize this thread is so typical of your poor hating "the poor are a bunch of lazy scumbags" bullshit I'm tempted to get myself infracted for calling this thread what it is.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    It'd be hard to imagine someone who ISN'T poor trashing a house like this, because they'd just get sued and lose whatever assets they have and would find it hard to buy a home or rent with an eviction on their record.

That doesn't mean everyone on Section 8 will do this, but it DOES mean that someone that has money and gives a shit about their life or future is pretty damn unlikely to.
    Is there a such thing as "eviction on your record"? o.O Before we built this house, I rented 3 (I know, small sample size) houses and none of them did any sort of criminal background check, credit check or anything of the sort.

Welfare/Government supported people not the best tenants? Color me surprised.