WoWKart? Player-Operated Racing?

I was thinking of a fun little event for my guildies and anyone else on the server who would be interested: WoW racing. Basically, the idea is that players race around a set course (that is, a course drawn up as an image and posted on the OP thread showing the course boundaries), in a capital city (ie, Dalaran). Players would race using their ground mounts, no speed buffs allowed, and the winner would get a little prize (500 gold). Sure, the player who cuts the corners the closest and stays on the inside track will win, but as I said; it's just for fun. (to make sure everyone travels at the same speed, all racers in the match would have the same riding skill for ground mounts; lvl 20-39 players, 30-59, and 60+).

The concept could even extend not only to racing around cities, but to zones as well, perhaps entire continents as cross country races (obviously though, such an endveour would require the racers to be high enough level to be able to safely traverse dangerous areas such as Deadwind Pass where mobs are located on the roads).

Your thoughts?

Sounds like it could be fun if you can find a way to enforce rules. Sadly the fact that paladin, and maybe DK not sure on them, mount speed buffs are baked in to the class now would make this very tricky. Flying mounts with three different speeds would also make it even trickier, but if it's just for fun, why not.

When I saw the thread title I thought you were going to suggest kart racing as a battle pet style mini game.

DKs and Paladins would win.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

10+ Year Old Account
    if it was just 'get from point a to point b the fastest' i would enjoy it. wiping out on banana peels was never enjoyable for me. though i am a huge twisted metal fan.

I used to do with my guild during Cata, but since they changed mount speeds on the DK/paladin it kind of ruins it.

10+ Year Old Account
    ^ if you want to 'race' someone on live just tell the dk/paladin to go level an alt to 40.

We occasionally do social events in our guild if we ever get a surplus of money in the guild bank. We did something similar once. But I organised a 'The Amazing Race' style thing, where you either had to decipher the location to go to via the clue or perform a task at a location before getting the next location. Was kinda fun actually. It's kinda funny watching about 20 90's trying to smash lowbie tigers for 10 grey quality fangs to hand in so they can get the next clue.

Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post
    You missed the whole 'no speed boosts' part.

Neat idea... it'd be cool to do something like this on IoT as well, throw a bit of mob action in the mix Park some stealthed rogues along the way as referees, and you've got a race

WoW had a brilliant Racing track which sadly is now underwater in thousand needles

God i used to love riding my mount around that track

Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    ^ if you want to 'race' someone on live just tell the dk/paladin to go level an alt to 40.
    Or you could just have the pally turn off Crusader Aura/have the DK spec out of "On a Pale Horse," or whatever the equivalent to it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    Or you could just have the pally turn off Crusader Aura/have the DK spec out of "On a Pale Horse," or whatever the equivalent to it is now.
    Where you been pallys dont have auras anymore and On a Pale Horse is a passive that cant be turned off

Think something like roll club, I've always talked about this with a friend of mine.

http://bit.ly/12e7MsQ <--- My New Monk Main

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post
    Ban them from the event. > Problem solved.

Blizzard should implement ground vehicles that have some sort of physics to them (drifting, acceleration, decceleration, pushback on collision). This is in fact already existing in a very limited fashion: Vehicles can only turn at a limited angle per second, even if you turn much faster with your mouse.

Then give those vehicles a few abilities (techonlogy for that exists already) which can only affect other vehicles (so they aren't used in actual combat). Those abilities could be bananas (MarioKart? ), pools of oil/slime, nets, slows, unmounting, etc.

It's also easy to run player-defined courses that can't be cheated, so Blizzard doesn't have to implement racing tracks themselves (which would probably consume much more time/money than simply adding some physics to vehicles and adding an ability or two): Just use existing walls in cities, like the OP did, or have a race from one end of the continent to the other and everyone can choose which way to go exactly.

It would open up a whole lot of awesome gameplay. I know I would race all day
    Last edited by reckoner04; 2013-08-08 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    Blizzard should implement ground vehicles that have some sort of physics to them (drifting, acceleration, decceleration, pushback on collision). This is in fact already existing in a very limited fashion: Vehicles can only turn at a limited angle per second, even if you turn much faster with your mouse.

Then give those vehicles a few abilities (techonlogy for that exists already) which can only affect other vehicles (so they aren't used in actual combat). Those abilities could be bananas (MarioKart? ), pools of oil/slime, nets, slows, etc.

It would open up a whole lot of awesome gameplay. I know I would race all day
    There is already a quest where you roll on the great wall of Pandaria that works more or less like that (speed buffs, jumping, obstacles...).

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=30261

I don't know how well it would work with multiple players, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    There is already a quest where you roll on the great wall of Pandaria that works more or less like that (speed buffs, jumping, obstacles...).

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=30261

I don't know how well it would work with multiple players, though.
    I didn't do this quest so I don't really know how it works, but I'd guess that there aren't any physics implemented there aside from the limited turning speed (like in all vehicles as mentioned before)? This would be necessay though since the mastery of the physics is what makes racing so much fun for most people. Otherwise it's more about aiming accurately than driving well, which can be enjoyable too but probably would have a much smaller audience imo.

It might be strange for a racing game to have no collision detection among players, like in WoW. Don't really know how that would work out. Would be awesome with collision detection, but might be technically hard to implement.
    Last edited by reckoner04; 2013-08-08 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    I didn't do this quest so I don't really know how it works, but I'd guess that there aren't any physics implemented there aside from the limited turning speed (like in all vehicles as mentioned before)? This would be necessay though since the mastery of the physics is what makes racing so much fun for most people. Otherwise it's more about aiming accurately than driving well, which can be enjoyable too but probably would have a much smaller audience imo.

It might be strange for a racing game to have no collision detection among players, like in WoW. Don't really know how that would work out. Would be awesome with collision detection, but might be technically hard to implement.
    Here is a video. You turn around and jump normally, no vehicle-controls are used. Player collision would probably be too much, unless Blizzard has that kind of technology and we haven't seen it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Here is a video. You turn around and jump normally, no vehicle-controls are used. Player collision would probably be too much, unless Blizzard has that kind of technology and we haven't seen it yet.

[video]
    Looks cool. Hopefully I will get around to do all the Pandaria quests sometime, lol. That's exactly how I thought it would be though: It seems like it's more about aiming than "driving". It certainly looks like Blizzard is experimenting with something though (which they do all the time...). Hopefully they'll expand on it.

Well, we do have collision detection for moving objects already: the elevator bosses