Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is there a big difference or reason to use gaming mouses?

I been using basic mice for a long time and used gaming mouses a few times but I don't seem to notice anything big between them. Only thing I would see beneficial is perhaps they use better quality parts in them?

Deleted
    More buttons / higher DPI / design / image

Deleted
    They have different sensitivity settings on the push of a button, they generally look better, have extra buttons and some are even adjustable in weight.

They usually feel a little better (sturdy, solid, comfortable) and more resposive (button clicks, laser tracking etc), they boast high DPI but to be honest I'd bet a lot of people don't even come close to using what is available. I remember back when a 1000/2000dpi mouse was amazing, where as some new mice are up over 8000 (New Razer Naga is 8200). So you have a great deal of accuracy and wide range of sensitivity, though I personally think people overstate the value of that.

Expensive mice do have issues though, Razer Mice are notorious for developing clicking issues, such as sometimes not clicking at all and more common is the issue where single clicks will register as a double or even triple click, some of the more expensive Logitech mice have also had this issue from what I can tell (I recently did some research before replacing my double clicking Razer mouse). I'm not sure if it is because they use more sensitive clicking switches or what, but it is a very common issue with mice that have 2+ years of heavy use.

With that said, when they do work they just feel better and can open up new possibilities. Ultimately if you give an amazing player a shitty basic Microsoft optical 2 click + scrollwheel mouse, he's still going to trash anyone who is an inferior player, regardless of what mouse they are using.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

They are nice to have, but I know people who live in their grandparents' basement using a keyboard and mouse from 2004 that are 10x better than anyone who thinks a new piece of equipment is going to make them a better player.

A 5+ button mouse is great to have, but I only know of one model you can purchase for a reasonable price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Expensive mice do have issues though, Razer Mice are notorious for developing clicking issues, such as sometimes not clicking at all and more common is the issue where single clicks will register as a double or even triple click, some of the more expensive Logitech mice have also had this issue from what I can tell (I recently did some research before replacing my double clicking Razer mouse). I'm not sure if it is because they use more sensitive clicking switches or what, but it is a very common issue with mice that have 2+ years of heavy use.
    Just take the mouse apart and dust it out every once in a while.

Complex machinery requires maintenance to run well.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    Just take the mouse apart and dust it out every once in a while.

Complex machinery requires maintenance to run well.
    That is all good and all, but the issue with the Razer mice is that the plastic that pushes down the switch wears away eventually causing either multple contact points (causing double click) or wearing away to the point that it doesn't click at all. Along with that the switches themselves seem to just do it of their own accord after a while, cleaning it with contact cleaner lubricant can help temporarily but the problem will come back.

My 1st Naga started double clicking after 3-4 months, Razer recommended a replacement, so I traded it in RMA. My 2nd Naga worked flawlessly for 3 years, then it developed a double click. Within the space of 2 weeks it had gone from the occasional double click to 90% double/triple clicks, cleaning it with the contact cleaner stopped the issue for about 2 hours and reduced the problem drastically for a while but did not remove it. The problem isn't simply about keeping them clean, it comes from a number of issues and that goes down to wear.

The mice clearly are not designed to last much past the 2 year warrenty, regardless of whether you keep them clean. If you check the inside of them they are hardly "complex machinery" either. I have a Microsoft optical from around 10 years ago, still works flawlessly.. Expensive mice are just not built to last.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is all good and all, but the issue with the Razer mice is that the plastic that pushes down the switch wears away eventually causing either multple contact points (causing double click) or wearing away to the point that it doesn't click at all. Along with that the switches themselves seem to just do it of their own accord after a while, cleaning it with contact cleaner lubricant can help temporarily but the problem will come back.

My 1st Naga started double clicking after 3-4 months, Razer recommended a replacement, so I traded it in RMA. My 2nd Naga worked flawlessly for 3 years, then it developed a double click. Within the space of 2 weeks it had gone from the occasional double click to 90% double/triple clicks, cleaning it with the contact cleaner stopped the issue for about 2 hours and reduced the problem drastically for a while but did not remove it. The problem isn't simply about keeping them clean, it comes from a number of issues and that goes down to wear.

The mice clearly are not designed to last much past the 2 year warrenty, regardless of whether you keep them clean. If you check the inside of them they are hardly "complex machinery" either. I have a Microsoft optical from around 10 years ago, still works flawlessly.. Expensive mice are just not built to last.
    My Naga also started double-clicking, but it was always just dust and crap getting into the switches. No actual wear on the plastic, and I had that for 3 years.
    I think cleaning them on a regular basis from the moment you get it, before you start seeing double-clicking, will very much reduce the wear and tear on the mouse.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

The only reason to use a gaming mouse over a normal mouse is shape and dpi. Extra buttons are nice and all but you can do perfectly fine without them even in MMORPG's.
    I use a steelseries sensei for every game cause it's shape and weight is perfect for my play style. The fact I can adjust the dpi to my needs is a nice extra. And people complain about the sensei that it's shape is like a normal mouse yet I haven't seen a mouse with the same shape beside other steelseries mouses.

Gaming mouses is just nice marketing making people think they gonna be play beter with it. It's all about finding that mouse that serves your needs and that could be a 5 euro mouse or a 100 euro mouse. Unlike keyboards there isn't much difference mechanical wise in a mouse no matter what it's called and it's price.

Quote Originally Posted by dapperedodo View Post
    The only reason to use a gaming mouse over a normal mouse is shape and dpi. Extra buttons are nice and all but you can do perfectly fine without them even in MMORPG's.
    I use a steelseries sensei for every game cause it's shape and weight is perfect for my play style. The fact I can adjust the dpi to my needs is a nice extra. And people complain about the sensei that it's shape is like a normal mouse yet I haven't seen a mouse with the same shape beside other steelseries mouses.

Gaming mouses is just nice marketing making people think they gonna be play beter with it. It's all about finding that mouse that serves your needs and that could be a 5 euro mouse or a 100 euro mouse. Unlike keyboards there isn't much difference mechanical wise in a mouse no matter what it's called and it's price.
    You say that like a mechanical keyboard is "better", but personally I never saw/felt the advantage. I don't get the obsession with mechanical keys personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    You say that like a mechanical keyboard is "better", but personally I never saw/felt the advantage. I don't get the obsession with mechanical keys personally.
    The only practical advantage of mechanical keyboards is the non-existence of keyboard ghosting. Other than that, it's all personal opinions, some people like the feel of mechanical keys better.

The extra buttons are very handy. But you don't "need" them, really. I use a Logitech.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    Unless you go proffesional gaming, no need for a gaming mouse.

I never used a gaming mouse, closest i got to a gaming mouse is a Logitech MX500 (normal) and that one i won with "sadly" getting 2nd place in a Dutch Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield competition hosted by the official rvs dutch forum.

Always used a mouse with a total of 6 buttons minimal, mouse i got came with a cheap cordless logitech set and got 6 buttons.
    Tune sensitivity to your likings with the logitech software and your done.

My brother is still using his crappy Logitech old school regular Joe mouse with no options or buttons at all (im suprised he aint using a ball mouse), and he literally annihilates people in BF3 etc (to my frustration :P )

So using a gaming mouse isnt NEEDED but it has loads more functionality and is more accurate.

This is what he is using:

Personally i prefer mice like these (which I own)
    I has many functions and options to adjust dpi, freemove etc, but looks like a regular mouse with a godly feel to it
    + braided cord = win
    Last edited by psycon; 2013-08-08 at 01:28 PM.

. Expensive mice are just not built to last.
    That racecar you got as avatar, please tell me, does the cars expensive engine last longer than a regular, toyota engine?
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

Deleted
    In my case it's for the extra amount of buttons. I can't live without this thing, absolutely love it:

I even use the buttons when switching between the tabs in Firefox. Two years since I bought it and haven't had any issues with it at all so far.

Deleted
    1. Better sensor = better tracking no matter what kind of movements = improved game performance especially in FPS shooters.

2. More buttons = more flexibility = more key mapping and playstyle choices, especially in MMORPGs.

3. Higher polling rate = higher cursor accuracy on screen = improved game performance especially in FPS shooters.

4. More grip options = players have different ways of holding the mouse, having a mouse that explicitly supports your type of grip better for gaming performance than generic hybrid or "ergonomic" shape.

5. Higher DPI = more sensitivity options = better support for mouse movement on large screens.

And if you choose the right mouse or manufacturer, you mouse can outlast your computer many times over and be literally the only component that is always with you! For example, my first generation Logitech MX518 has lasted me now coming up to 8 years and I have used it for every computer use everywhere, not just gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy valmer View Post
    I been using basic mice for a long time and used gaming mouses a few times but I don't seem to notice anything big between them. Only thing I would see beneficial is perhaps they use better quality parts in them?

I have used a Razer Naga for several years, which I was NOT impressed with. The numpad on the side was neat, but realistically while moving in WoW I could reach at best 6 of the buttons, and they weren't very easy to activate and would often require you to stop moving in WoW for a second to activate them. You had to press so hard with your thumb your other fingers had to pull from the opposite direction. There is a logitech version of the Razer Naga I always wanted to try out, it looked easier to use.
    Currently I use a R.A.T 7 and I love it. You can adjust the shape and weight, and it has a piece you can add on to the side if you "claw" a mouse, which I do. Using it in any sort of FPS or 3rdPS is fantastic because the control is AMAZING.
    I also use a cheap"ish mechanical keyboard. It is a Rosewill I bought on NewEgg for 100 dollars. I do prefer using it over any other keyboard I have used. It is not a gaming keyboard, just a classic design mechanical keyboard with nothing extra.

Deleted
    Bought MX500 back in the day and Im still using the same size/shaped mouse of logitechs finest.
    Its like its made for my hand.
    Gone through MX500, 2x MX510 (one of them still work just fine) and now I got G500. So they are also pretty good when it comes to durability 2 broken in 10years or so .

I will allow myself to derail a little - not fond of making separate thread.

Does anyone have some experience / opinions about this mouse?
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3926#ov

I like its shape, looks, wireless...ness and cheap price, but I'm afraid it might not be durable enough.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.