Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What is the most viable hunter PvE spec at the moment

Title says it all, "What is the most viable hunter PvE spec at the moment"
    Thank you.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Whichever one you want. Otherwise you need to be a bit more specific as to what you want to do. Best Raid DPS? Best for questing/dailies?

BM

/10 chars

BM and SV are both decent (in terms of our specs anyway). MM is low at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Short answer is BM for Single target, SV is pretty close to BM. MM is about 6%-10% behind on all accounts.

I play MM cause i love the play style but that's just me. If i play around baddies my mm looks great

This is a very subjective question. The answer depends on you and what you do.
    If you want max performance, you'll likely see best results from BM(assuming at least somewhat decent gear, fresh 90s I believe see best results from SV)
    If you want ease of play, I would argue SV is the way to go.
    To be honest, if you only raid casually, whether hunter is your main or is a part of a casual alt group or what have you, you can choose whatever spec you enjoy the most.

Thank you all. Can a mod please close this thread.

For ease of play, I agree with Chippendale, go Survival. Can't really go wrong on any fight this tier going Survival.

BM is good as well, but takes a little more practice to maximize damage on certain fights than Survival.

/ Sporebat

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    / Sporebat
    BM+Sporebat = Epic Win

Deleted
    Depens on the fight, i raid in a top 150 25m hc guild and for me it looks like this ->

SV

Horridon (stronger AOE)
    Council (same as above, keeping SrS up on all 4)
    Tortos (also because of the stronger AOE)
    Ji-Kun (if jumping)
    Megaera (Quess BM would work just as good on this)
    Durumu (For more dps on the walls and faster dps on the red adds because of pet traveltime)
    Dark Animus (Atleast in our guild where hunters/locks have their pet on 1)
    Primordius (Quess BM would work just as good on this one aswell unless your on add duty)

BM

Iron Qon
    Twin Consorts
    Lein Shen
    Ra-Den

Quote Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
    Depens on the fight, i raid in a top 150 25m hc guild and for me it looks like this ->

SV

Horridon (stronger AOE)
    Ji-Kun (if jumping)
    Durumu (For more dps on the walls and faster dps on the red adds because of pet traveltime)
    Primordius (Quess BM would work just as good on this one aswell unless your on add duty)

BM

Iron Qon
    Twin Consorts
    Lein Shen
    Ra-Den
    You have better results as survival on Ji-kun? Eggs die really quickly and I'm in a group which doesn't do upper nests (lucky lucky) and BM blows surv away on the bird.

Council my guild is working on still but I feel BM gives me better results there too.

BM has stronger AOE at this point than survival since they increased the AOE target cap to 20 (which is rarely reached), mostly because BM AOE scales well with haste while survival's does not (though you have to position your pet properly of course). Particularly for quick bursts of AOE, BM with cooldowns like rapid fire and bestial wrath does MUCH more than survival.

For 25 heroic at least, BM has better parses on horridon, council, and durumu according to raidbots, though survival is better on tortos (probably because hunters are usually assigned to attack the spinning turtles rather than the bats, but survival can multishot once on the bats to get lots of damage and BM can't have their pet really chasing the turtles around). Apart from Tortos, Megaera is the only fight I would definitely not recommend BM simply because pets have a tendency to get stuck in weird places and not be able to attack the heads for a long time, even with blink strikes. For Ji-Kun it will depend on what you are assigned to do, but they are probably about even. Beast Mastery will do a lot more damage under the primal nutriment buff, but has to deal with your pet despawning whenever you fly to get it. For all other fights BM should have an advantage.
    Last edited by Thursley; 2013-08-08 at 09:25 PM.

bm is stronger in every fight vs survival, the only fight i would say go sv is tortos, unless u can tunnel boss.

council BM way stronger than SV
    jikun same, pets get the buff as soon as you get it (this include dire beast pet and stampede)
    horridon is a pain to move the pet out of the boss but if u can manage to do that you will see better numbers as bm along with more brust.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

SV

Horridon (stronger AOE)
    Ji-Kun (if jumping)

BM

Iron Qon
    Twin Consorts
    Lein Shen
    Ra-Den
    Just curious, do you change reforges when you switch between BM and SV so often?

SV

Horridon (stronger AOE)
    Ji-Kun (if jumping)

BM

Iron Qon
    Twin Consorts
    Lein Shen
    Ra-Den
    I have to disagree with most of this. I personally run SV only for Horridon and Tortos. Even then, I could justify BM for both. Barrage with MD is plenty for the bats, and even a petless multi-shot or two if it comes right down to it, since no one but myself and the tank are touching them with a kiting strat. If you kill, BM is even better, since much like Lei Shen, burst AoE is the key. On Horridon, you have to micro manage a bit more, but if the tank is worth their salt, they have the adds stacked so BM is perfectly fine.
    In my humble opinion, play to your class' strengths - burst AoE and single target(relative to many classes, at least).
    BM's cleave/AoE is much stronger now, and with a small amount of effort and Blink Strikes, pet positioning is basically a non-factor.
    However, the whole spec discussion for heroic modes is a bit moot, since let's be realistic here, if the OP is asking about what spec is the most viable, he/she probably isn't raiding hard modes, at least on the hunter.

So again, OP, as a general rule, BM will give better performance, while SV is easier(in my opinion) to play. That said, if you're clearing(or not clearing) normals on your hunter, it won't matter really.

SV

Horridon (stronger AOE)
    Ji-Kun (if jumping)

BM

Iron Qon
    Twin Consorts
    Lein Shen
    Ra-Den

Council, Ji-Kun, Durumu and Primordius should all be BM fights.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

BM AoE after 75% Beast Cleave is as strong as Survival AoE if Beast Cleave can hit all the targets.

I couldn't answer for him personaly, but as far as I know stat priorities are the same in SV and BM currently, so there would be no reason to reforge/gem between specs.

SV

Horridon (stronger AOE)
    Ji-Kun (if jumping)

BM

Iron Qon
    Twin Consorts
    Lein Shen
    Ra-Den
    So you're saying you're doing Jin'rokh as MM then?