Question [Disc + Bm + Mage Frost 3v3 comp] - Questions

Hello Fellow pvpers,

Been running this comp and I really like it actually. However, we having hard time against feral, hunters teams and mainly against feral + hunter + healer since our mage is focused nearly every match and when mages are focus they cant do much anyway.

This is my armory http://us.battle.net/wow/pt/characte...ocarion/simple
    we are not high rating yet, however, I am really trying for at least Challenger this season.

Feel free to suggest anything and point out your opinion about me or the team itself.

But.. I am a rogue.

Mage Hunter is not viable. That's all I can tell you. Trap and Poly DR with each other. Most (good) priests will be able to avoid probably over 80% of your polymorphs and over 33% of your traps, not including when teammates eat them. Hunters do not have enough peels for their teammates. That is why hunter-wizard is not viable (save maybe hunter spriest, but that was strongest pre-lifeswap nerfs).

But, we can pretend that you're just playing wizardcleave of some sort. You need to kill the hunter, and CC feral as much as possible (which is nearly impossible for your comp - dodge scatter, immune to poly, shapeshift roots / slows, typhoon / root / cyclone priest if he ever wants to fear), and just get small CC chains on priest and force a trinket with some pressure. Once you have priest and feral trinkets down, get one CC on each and try as hard as you can to kill the hunter before those CC's end.

Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post
    Mage Hunter is not viable. That's all I can tell you. Trap and Poly DR with each other. Most (good) priests will be able to avoid probably over 80% of your polymorphs and over 33% of your traps, not including when teammates eat them. Hunters do not have enough peels for their teammates. That is why hunter-wizard is not viable (save maybe hunter spriest, but that was strongest pre-lifeswap nerfs).

But, we can pretend that you're just playing wizardcleave of some sort. You need to kill the hunter, and CC feral as much as possible (which is nearly impossible for your comp - dodge scatter, immune to poly, shapeshift roots / slows, typhoon / root / cyclone priest if he ever wants to fear), and just get small CC chains on priest and force a trinket with some pressure. Once you have priest and feral trinkets down, get one CC on each and try as hard as you can to kill the hunter before those CC's end.
    I am able to replace the mage with the following:

Destro lock, WW Monk, Warrior, wich one could work better?

But.. I am a rogue.

Monk or warrior would work best with a hunter in your case.

Monk or warrior would work best with a hunter in your case.
    Both have no CC at all basically.
    What would be the best pick for the set up with the hunter?

But.. I am a rogue.

hunter teams don't need to have cc to succeed, but... best hunter comps right now are hunter-feral, hunter-rogue, hunter-ret.

hunter teams don't need to have cc to succeed, but... best hunter comps right now are hunter-feral, hunter-rogue, hunter-ret.
    I see, I was looking the ladder first time, and All i can see is disc feral bm teams.
    Could not find a single feral + bm + disc team.

Ima try ret, but pretty much, I will try to find a good feral to try.

But.. I am a rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvorea View Post
    All i can see is disc feral bm teams..
    Could not find a single feral + bm + disc team.
    ??

Ret is awesome with Hunter btw. Probably among the best 3s comps this season.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played this comp for a while a few weeks ago, we were at about 1850 mmr and we gave up. As someone said, Poly and Trap DR with each other which makes chain CC and a chance of pressure harder. Sure, you can faceroll some teams, but when you get decent ones, you're screwed.

Ret is probably the best partner for a Hunter right now.

I actually disagree with most people saying mage/hunter is not viable. It used to be not viable until MOP imo, that's for sure but now it can work.

However first of all your mage needs to stop playing with frost bomb, let him go living bomb, it's much better for both the comp and in the current meta game. What you need to do is Cross CC all the time and get a super strong opener (or at least try to). Let your hunter take Camo Glyph for optimal opener results and if you get their team out, let the mage poly the healer while the hunter traps the other hunter. Burn hard from the start on their feral, make him spam defensives.

If healer trinkets, throw a blanket CS or a POM poly if your mage still has one, silencing shot as last resort. The damage these two classes can do is absolutely incredible and so your comp needs to make use of that by playing it quite offensive.

Your mage his spec is very outdated tho and he needs to replace his talents to the correct ones:
    1. Presence of Mind (so much better than blazing speed for actual rating pushes)
    2. Temporal Shield (your comp has no druid, Ice barrier sucks especially with 45% battle fatigue.)
    3. Ring of Frost (he's not fire so he doesn't need to play frostjaw)
    4. Snap
    5. Living Bomb

Now you said your mage can't do much while tunneled, that's pretty much what differentiates the good mage from the bad one. Although playing with Frost Bomb doesn't help his case, if he still can't do anything while playing Living Bomb, I suggest he better plays one of his other characters. Mage is not the easiest of classes tbh.

Your hunter needs to play with Iron Hawk and leave Exhilleration alone

After your initial opener always try to Polymorph healer while trapping the other DPS, it's worth cross CCing everytime for maximum pressure on your kill target. You can also Trap feral and Poly healer if you think you'll have an easier time killing a hunter but personally I like to kill ferals

<3 for Shyama for this signature!

10+ Year Old Account
    A Hunter will BW the first CC and likely SS the Mage and start counter pressure. The Feral will also be damaging the Mage, he won't have time to do much and will likely have to go defensive straight away, leaving pretty much the Hunter to do all the pressure apart from the FoF Ice Lances.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Proudsnout View Post
    I actually disagree with most people saying mage/hunter is not viable. It used to be not viable until MOP imo, that's for sure but now it can work...
    Very Very Helpful Spec hints. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TJ
    A Hunter will BW the first CC and likely SS the Mage and start counter pressure. The Feral will also be damaging the Mage, he won't have time to do much and will likely have to go defensive straight away, leaving pretty much the Hunter to do all the pressure apart from the FoF Ice Lances.
    Pretty much this.

Quote Originally Posted by darklift View Post
    ??

Ret is awesome with Hunter btw. Probably among the best 3s comps this season.
    Sorry, I meant that I could not find a 3v3 ret + disc + hunter team at top ladder.

The mage guy has a ret, fresh 90 that I am about to rush up tyrannical on 2x for him so we can focus on 3x rating before the end of this season.
    Anyone know an easy way to estimate this season cutoff for challenger at Rampage battlegroup?

But.. I am a rogue.

Anyone know an easy way to estimate this season cutoff for challenger at Rampage battlegroup?
    I have been perusing this site to get some of that general information.

http://arenamate.aws.af.cm/

WW Monk and Warrior both have enough CC to go with a hunter, it is just they both play differently. The warrior/hunter teams are about rushing someone down in the opener so it is important to land that first trap and force a trinket during CDs, then the warrior can stormbolt them and you can kill. Most KFC teams I have faced will run straight at you and blow everything right at the start and most of the time land a kill. Most wins against good KFC teams that I have been a part of involve either cross killing their healer or disrupting their initial charge.

Hunter/WW takes longer to build up but the WW has very good peels. It is one of the best melee at protecting your team, between 2 sec blanket silence, ranged disarm, on demand root, incap, fists of fury, detox (great agaisnt DK/spriest), zen med behind pillar, tiger lust, ring of peace/leg sweep, and finally the scary amount of burst they can put out a good WW can really be a strong asset to any team. They also have a lot of solo mobility which is something most melee lack so they can get out of harms way in a hurry.

Don't underestimate a WW just because there is not a strong population of them. They have a lot going for them and there are just not a lot that were willing to switch to WW mains so most you see are alts and it shows in a lot of games.

15+ Year Old Account
    Make sure the hunter uses his fear to scare the druid.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Make sure the hunter uses his fear to scare the druid.
    smart druid won't ever let this happen, it isn't even worth trying

15+ Year Old Account
    It would force him out of his feral form, stopping his dps, not even worth trying? Cute.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Pet Stun->Fear. Was that so hard?

Scatter-> Fear. Leaving you to disengage root-> trap another target.

Camo->Scare beast.

Feign->Camo->Scare Beast.

Be more creative.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrean View Post
    Pet Stun->Fear. Was that so hard?

Scatter-> Fear. Leaving you to disengage root-> trap another target.

Camo->Scare beast.

Feign->Camo->Scare Beast.

Be more creative.
    Pet stun on healer to land trap or else something will eat it a majority of the time. Plus a good druid has a cancelaura on cat form which they can use while stunned.
    Camo breaks on melee attacks, then he can just shift it / kick it / stun it.
    Feign won't help much.

You're losing 1.5s of your pressure by trying to cast it while he misses just under a global of pressure by shifting it. Plus if he skull bashes it then youve just lost all pressure for 4 more seconds.

Yep hunter needs to scarebeast feral and scatter trap healer as much as possible. Mage needs to deepfreeze burst on a successful scatter trap, or poly. You might need to do something to the dps that eats the traps so he cant. Target should be whoever has worse positioning, forcing the enemy healer out from behind pillars.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    It would force him out of his feral form, stopping his dps, not even worth trying? Cute.
    Was thinking the same thing. Same with resto/balance druids fake casting hibernates to pop ferals out of form. Just a matter of using your tools wisely.