Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why do players need "incentives" to queue?

Why do people need so-called "incentives" to queue arenas or rbgs? Most people I play with don't play for pets or mounts. Most of us play either for rating or to win, which kind of go hand in hand. I don't see why people need incentives to PVP. If you want a pet for 100 arena wins - why do you need *that* pet? If pets are that important to you, why dont you pet battle with other "rare" ones (because by the time you get it, it won't even be rare)?

Can't people queue to have fun (which is nearly impossible with this balance so I don't really blame you for not)? Can't people queue to just win and be satisfied by the fact that you won? Why do you need something in addition to your win?

You don't necessarily "need" it, but time is a scarce resource. The more you get out of spending your time on something, the more it's worth doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Abysal View Post
    You don't necessarily "need" it, but time is a scarce resource. The more you get out of spending your time on something, the more it's worth doing.
    is improving your own skill not good enough for people?

I don't think the rewards or BGs are fun. I think World PvP is fun and you're forced to work for the "rewards" to be competitive at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post
    Can't people queue to have fun (which is nearly impossible with this balance so I don't really blame you for not)? Can't people queue to just win and be satisfied by the fact that you won? Why do you need something in addition to your win?
    Bragging rights?!? Lets take all "rewards" out and just have one area that shows your kills, win/lose ration and deaths. What make me different than you or that guy or that other guy? Answer is nothing, you all have the top gear no special titles, mounts or pets. Your just four players that look and basically are exactly the same. Seems like a really really boring game, one that wouldn't last a year let alone a decade as wow is.

No matter how boring you are, the human psyche strives to be "unique". Ya everyone can get the rewards and become the same but that's not the point, the point is the trip you took to get to that point made you unique in that only a select view may get all the rewards you have.

I'm a mount whore and my favorite is ashes of al'ar, just got mine in march and since that raid is soloable many more have it as well. Back in the day you were a god if you had that mount and very few across all servers had that mount.
    Now look at today, you can buy it at the BMAH or grind the raid for the mount with little to no effort. Don't know about your server but everyone has it on mine but now no one is a "god" they are just a dude who went to get the mount from kel. So it all goes back to bragging rights...

They keep adding rewards so that players can become unique, just my 4 cents.
    Last edited by Snipercartman; 2013-08-08 at 08:18 PM.

Well, aren't the current titles from arena / rbg enough to set you apart? Aside from all the wintraders and people who bought it, but you can easily set apart those who earned it themselves and those who didn't by simply looking at achievement dates.

Its good to add variety, some love titles some don't. I could careless about titles but i'm a mount whore so pvp mounts are super sexy :P

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    World PVP is the only true form of PVP. I only do Arenas and RBGs for gear and couldn't care the least bit for any title, mount or flashy mog set from it. I love to kill people -everyone I see- and so sit with a couple of mates at the Ox Temple and do my bit to instill fear into every Horde that dares come by.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Deleted
    pve mindset?

If there were no incentives, you wouldn't do it. Same with near enough anything, especially in gaming.

People need incentives to queue to keep playing WoW - else there would be less titles, less competition and less people to show your new title off to. The main incentive of Arena, which is titles and rankings, would be completely worthless if there weren't gear upgrades keeping early and mid season queues alive. If seasons were shorter however, there wouldn't be the need for incentives (like gear) because people could look forward to titles from the beginning of a season, rather than only pushing for titles in the last 1-3 weeks of a 20+ week season.

Even in pvp games there are incentives

Ultima Online. I get all the loot from people I kill. Houses too if they are dumb
    EvE. Basically the same things as UO but in space. Plus the game lets you grief people and doesnt cater to carebear bads like WoW
    Dark Age of Camelot. Kills gave you realm points which you spent on realm abilities to make your characters better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it isn't good enough for some people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

It isn't really. What you failing to realize is that by definition most people suck but most people don't want to be confronted with the possibility that they suck so to make that reality less distasteful they throw in artificial rewards to coax people that suck into playing.

It is true that the hardcore will strive to be better than the rest without such rewards but the hardcore group of PvPers is not a large enough population to promote a healthy dynamic pvp environment.

IMO one of the big missteps that Blizzard did about PvP is making honor rewards worthless. Before honor gear would beat out people with LFR gear and probably be on par with people in normal raid gear. Now this is no longer the case with LFR gear clearly edging honor pvp gear.
    Last edited by Revik; 2013-08-09 at 06:59 AM.

The incentives to queue for PVP are miniscule compared to the PVE ones.

Mounts? Yeah like one. Pets? What pets?

I mostly queue for random BGs for achis. That and, you know, fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

It's not good enough for most people. And there's absolutely nothing you can do about this.

Deleted
    I think it's more about incentive to keep playing rather than playing towards an end goal or for a specific purpose. Pets and mounts aren't necessary, it's vanity items and it's a stupid reward. PVP needs a more gradual and real incentive and that lies in gear since that is pretty much the only thing PVP content allows. Rating requirement on gear would suffice and would give a lot of players a real goal to strive towards while at the same time give them rewards as they improve themselves.

Deleted
    Some people PVE, some people PVP, some people play the AH and some collect pets, doesn't matter what they have to do to get them. I'm sure one of my guildies who sucks at pvp will be going for them. Kind of straight forward.

I don't think you need incentives for PvP, like you said the incentive in PvP IS to get better and really, to have fun with friends. I believe that we need to bring more incentives into higher level raiding though, as it stands most players can just raid LFR and they feel little need to continue.

But I do think that it's nice to have long time goals, e.g. - get 2000 Killing blows and u might get something cool, maybe not something that helps u in combat, and even not necessarily a cosmetic item - But something that is really handy to have (or something that's just really fun that isn't a mount/title/pet >.<), kinda like the key ring back in the day, imagine having all of your keys in your bags, then imagine how nice it would be to finally get a key ring and save so much space. I know that we don't have that anymore, but it would be really cool if there were long time goals that gave really nice items. Not stupid shit like experience buffs, but things that can make the game more FUN. New spell effects/colors, Killing blow animations, new emotes, new death's, long cooldown handy abilities, like water walk, slow fall etc. There's SO many things that you could do, but the important part is that there's a LONG grind for it, you can't just be handed this stuff, it needs to be there so that you have more than just "Let's grind hks" or "Let's get arena rating" - Having multiple gains from one job is always fun, questing would be way more boring if u didn't get gold as well - You can always look at it and go "Well, i'm not really in the mood for leveling, but it'd be nice to have a bit extra gold from it".

I could go on for ages, but this game NEEDS more long term goals and grinds, 250k hks is a good example, but I think we need better rewards and perhaps make the achievements a bit more lenient than 250k, that's just asking for bots. It should still take a while though.
    Last edited by DechCJC; 2013-08-09 at 07:12 AM.

Counter question, what's wrong with it? A little extra is always nice. Why do we have to doubt and question everything all the time?

Blizzard likes to tell their community how to play the game. For example, when rbgs came out and their weren't popular, blizzard buffed the rewards and nerfed the rewards from arenas to funnel people through rbgs. They do this for most of their new features. For example, if you're a tank or healer, there's more incentive to queue for 5 mans by yourself than with your friends. Let's not even get into the fact that in order to get valor from dungeons you have to use the lfd tool.