The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Should Department of Homeland Security give money to secure local Synagogues ?

I have recently start working at this local synagogue installing security system which is paid in full by Department of Homeland Security read here!. So the story simply goes that they were granted money for camera system, door access and better lighting around the building. The person who I work for is getting paid $25,000 for parts and labor, but the rest of the money will be so called donation from him to the Synagogue. That's great, and he made all that money for the work so he can give them a donation, but he also said that there are many members of the congregation that give out bigger and more donations out of their own pocket than he is giving back to his synagogue. With the economy the way it is, people not being able to find jobs, and government stating that they might not be able to pay their own bills, I just don't understand why government gives money for a cause that already receives very high donations. I guess my real question is... Should Department of Homeland Security give Tax Payers money to secure high terrorist treat non-profit organisations buildings since they already receive big donations from their members ? (I'm talking about all non-profit organisations, it just happened that I work at synagogue, but my question is target at all places that applied for the grant)

Edit: Forgot to mention this part. The job at first went to a different company who asked for little more money for their work and equipment, but as soon as the guy I work for said that he will make a donation to the synagogue the job was taken away from the other company and given to him instead.
    Last edited by Electroso; 2013-08-09 at 12:50 AM.

Why do they consider it high risk? Do not recall a recent instance of a Synagogue being attacked. As far as terror or body count goals there are simpler and softer targets to be found.

No. Hell, they shouldn't be giving money to anyone. And in fact the DHS shouldn't exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    What? Why is this a thing? If anything, we should be worried about our mosques....

...but this is America soooo yeah

10+ Year Old Account
    No, we need to protect the Sikhs who are much more likely to be attacked from Americans confusing Muslims and Sikhs!

Deleted
    Religions should pay for their own security, are they not tax exempt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Electroso View Post
    I have recently start working at this local synagogue installing security system which is paid in full by Department of Homeland Security read here!. So the story simply goes that they were granted money for camera system, door access and better lighting around the building. The person who I work for is getting paid $25,000 for parts and labor, but the rest of the money will be so called donation from him to the Synagogue. That's great, and he made all that money for the work so he can give them a donation, but he also said that there are many members of the congregation that give out bigger and more donations out of their own pocket than he is giving back to his synagogue. With the economy the way it is, people not being able to find jobs, and government stating that they might not be able to pay their own bills, I just don't understand why government gives money for a cause that already receives very high donations. I guess my real question is... Should Department of Homeland Security give Tax Payers money to secure high terrorist treat non-profit organisations buildings since they already receive big donations from their members ? (I'm talking about all non-profit organisations, it just happened that I work at synagogue, but my question is target at all places that applied for the grant)

Edit: Forgot to mention this part. The job at first went to a different company who asked for little more money for their work and equipment, but as soon as the guy I work for said that he will make a donation to the synagogue the job was taken away from the other company and given to him instead.
    If their is a clear and present danger to any group of Americans regardless of who or were, then it is the Governments Job to insure a degree of security. This isn't special treatment, many Churches get this type of Aid from the government.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Religions should pay for their own security, are they not tax exempt?
    1, This ^^^^^^^^^^
    2, As someone pointed out before, the DHS, sounds like something taken out of a science fiction dysotopia. And it should be done away with as soon as possible. Between the NSA, CIA, FBI, DEA, ATF, TSA, how many paramilitary alphabet agencies does one need?

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    how many paramilitary alphabet agencies does one need?
    More MORE NEED MOAR!

I don't get it...those are private institutions, why is the government in charge of their security in particular?

pay a church? no. if there is a specific threat, or reason to believe we can catch dirtbags by keeping an eye on somewhere (meaning a law enforcement service) then by all means do that, but dont give them money
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Between the NSA, CIA, FBI, DEA, ATF, TSA, how many paramilitary alphabet agencies does one need?
    At least 17,576 if we're going to stick with 3 letters.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    No, we need to protect the Sikhs who are much more likely to be attacked from Americans confusing Muslims and Sikhs!
    LOL you said it, sure as hell hit the nail on the head with that one.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.