Thread: weapon speeds?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Weapon speed has been normalized to the ground in every way possible. There's no longer some sort of secret to weapon speed where if you find some sort of weapon that's a magic speed all of a sudden you're going to gain 50k dps. It all comes down to higher item level now.

Assassination it doesn't matter at all just with the higher ilv pulling more dps period.
    Sub can can use anything in any combination just depending on if you want to use BS or not.
    Combat as long as you use a slow weapon mh you can do slow/slow or slow/fast with negligible dps difference.

In short weapon speed doesn't make poop on a stick anymore.

It's not like back in Vanilla when you could have a slow blue weapon out dpsing a faster epic because of the speed. Everything has been normalized and even in raids everything is the same as well. There's no more fast 1 handed sword type weapons. No more slow/fast dagger combos. All 1 handed "slow" weapons are all the same speed and all daggers are the same speed as well.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    What you're saying may have some truth, but in your previous post you made a blanket statement saying slower main hand = better, which isn't necessarily true when considering different item levels.
    The question was whether different speeds had anything to say for dps, so I felt it safe to assume that everything else would be equal (ilvl/dps, stat distribution, sockets). In a vacuum my statement is correct.

Also, the relationship between the three stats is circular (each can be derived by looking at the other two), so saying one is less important than the others is a little naive.
    True. I might have worded it badly. What I meant is that dps (ilvl) and speed is the two best stats to look at when you decide how good a weapon is. Average hit requires a calculation, and is just not as convenient a stat to use. (It also seem like the stat that is modified to make the other two "correct". You never see weapon speeds with more than one decimal of precision (well, the 2nd decimal is always 0), and weapon dps is usually exactly the same for every weapon requiring the same amount of hands for a given ilvl.) I would not have missed it if they removed it from the tooltip.

What I should have mentioned is that I were talking for assassination only. The same should be true for subtlety, but for combat I don't know.

TL;DR: Does speed matter? Yes. Is it the most important stat? No, that is ilvl.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggiva View Post

TL;DR: Does speed matter?
    It would, if there was a choice. But there isn't any more.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

10+ Year Old Account
    Since the real answer was arrived at twice early on, and arguments about semantics for how we arrive at the conclusion has dominated the discussion without changing the final answer, I'm going to go ahead and close this.