Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't read all 4 pages cause I'm lazy, but here's my guess:

Developers are too afraid to deviate from the norm with MMOs. MMOs are a huge project and investment. Making an MMO that doesn't have 20 or more different abilities (at once) per class and crazy menus and things that need to be clicked could be a solution, but nobody wants to take the risk.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Again I was simply offering my opinion that controllers are not a deal breaker in MMO's do to some belief that we are still playing games with 20 key binds....
    It's not a 'belief' or religious movement that we are playing games with lots of keybinds. That's just reality. It's not a requirement, but you speak like it doesn't exist.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    It's not a 'belief' or religious movement that we are playing games with lots of keybinds. That's just reality. It's not a requirement, but you speak like it doesn't exist.
    What game are you playing with so many keybinds a controller cannot support it? Remember, these have to be individual keybinds not "switch" binds i.e. shift+1 etc. because you can do that with controller, arguably easier than stretching your fingers over the 1-0 keys while holding down your switch key.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    To "traditional" MMO players that means text chat. However, nearly every guild in the big MMOs make heavy use of vocie chat programs like Vent, Mumble, and Teamspeak. Heck there are even guilds out there who use their chat programs so much they tend to not notice if someone messages them in text anyway. So chat does not have to be text based.
    Defiance tried to do voice chat...it was terrible (though that may have partially been because Defiance was mediocre at best and their secondary systems sucked)

Chat sounded like it was coming through a tin can, chat was automatically enabled in any group you joined which meant you got to listen to all the wonderful mouth breathing and "NO MOM! I'LL CLEAN MY ROOM LATER I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF SOMETHING!" and dog barking the whole way through because people had no clue how to mute their microphones, and I never joined zone/guild voice chat because it would simply be a cacophony of all the annoyances of the group chat multiplied exponentially.

The thing with voice chat on PC is that you either have a program that allows you to toggle your mic (devoting a button to that on a gamepad would be kinda not great) or easily manipulate the audio settings for your own mic, or the audio levels of others. While some of that is possible for consoles, you also run into the issue that not everyone has a microphone/uses it (next-gen will come with a headset and mic with each console), whereas on PC everyone has a mouse/keyboard hooked up and uses it. So there's a standardization of communication on PC that doesn't exist on console.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    What game are you playing with so many keybinds a controller cannot support it? Remember, these have to be individual keybinds not "switch" binds i.e. shift+1 etc. because you can do that with controller, arguably easier than stretching your fingers over the 1-0 keys while holding down your switch key.
    MMO Mouse. There's nothing that could ever be easier.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    MMO Mouse. There's nothing that could ever be easier.
    Well then we are just arguing more a matter of preference then anything because I personally do not like more than 2 mouse binds which is one push to talk and then middle mouse down but I have a Logi 6500 with plenty of buttons to map even though I dont

My cyborg gamepad has 14 mappable buttons on it, definitely suites my needs with switch binds. I just wish more games supported the use of a controller so I could at least try it out; there definitely are some games that mouse/keyboard is must.

Deleted
    Patches have to go thro quality process/check by sony or microsoft. Imagine gamebreaking bug that needs to be fixed.. nope sorry, patch might get thro their system "in few weeks" unless you are 1st party.

Each patch costs like 10k dollars to get thro (fez wasnt patched 2nd time for this reason even tho it was fixing save file corruption.. so kinda hotfixey).

Licensing fees

If you are not in exclusive deal with sony or microsoft then your sub fees or things like that might be sketchy

Even if controller would work for MMO thats desinged for it.. yeah shrug.

DC universe was MMO and was for PS3. I never played it on PS3 tho and that was sony exclusive anyway so cant really say how that would compare to 3rd party MMO.

Next gen MMOs might increase in consoles with "super-digital age" tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Server support would be my reason why. But that all changes with next gen. We will see MMO's come to mass market casual with next gen.
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post
    Each patch costs like 10k dollars to get thro (fez wasnt patched 2nd time for this reason even tho it was fixing save file corruption.. so kinda hotfixey).
    Microsoft has apparently dropped their fee (which I believe was actually 40k) to put out a patch.