Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    I just finished without doing a single co-op mission and I'm at 95%. My guess is it's the collectibles and you just didn't get as many.
    Naw, it's the medals. You don't get 100% till you have gold medals in all activities.

Also, without any spoilers, I don't see how the series can end here without another game. Maybe it won't be "saints tor V" but there has got to be something planned with an ending like that.
    Well... with the company under new ownership I wouldn't count on a Saints Row V any time soon. Best we can hope for is decent DLC, and while they've only committed to two, they seem to have working titles for six.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    It was a fun game but to sort.
    20-25 hours is a fair length for a game, it's just disappointing when compared to past Saints Row titles.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    20-25 hours is a fair length for a game, it's just disappointing when compared to past Saints Row titles.
    Agreed. My biggest issue was that in the gameplay aspect, Superpowers overwhelmed everything. Why would I ever want to use my phone to call in a vehicle or to call my gang? They are useless when I can wafflestomp aliens no problem. Cars are useless when I have infinite sprint. Why would you even bother having car customization when I rarely use them? The only vehicle I used is the UFO which is a lot more convenient for long distance travels but the rest is... meh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post
    Agreed. My biggest issue was that in the gameplay aspect, Superpowers overwhelmed everything. Why would I ever want to use my phone to call in a vehicle or to call my gang? They are useless when I can wafflestomp aliens no problem. Cars are useless when I have infinite sprint. Why would you even bother having car customization when I rarely use them? The only vehicle I used is the UFO which is a lot more convenient for long distance travels but the rest is... meh?
    (shurg) 'cause is fun?

The problem I had is that while they tout all the variety in the aliens (ostensibly more then all of the gangs put together from SR:3), everything moves too fast to really tell.

When you look at the work they put in on stuff (see image bellow) that you just dont notice in the game it's rather sad.

Please do not embed large images.
    Last edited by Sj; 2013-08-26 at 11:50 PM.

-Kujako-

Not reading through comments.

I was doing a long ass mission, struggling and crying through it, when I finally get to a warden fight. Suddenly, during the fight, while running around sprinting, game crashes. I restart PS3 and restart only to realize that the objective was all very long and I had to start over completely.

I. was. Fucking. MAD.

I switched to normal mode to do it since I was so fucking pissed off and LOL that shit it soooooooooooo easy. You're like a fucking tank, you take NO damage, and then the respect multiplier is fucking huge at the end. No wonder you guys were like "oh just run around and kill people for health" when I was like "...how am I supposed to live that long when there's no cover for most of these and the portals and aliens constantly chase you..." It's just because it's easy.

I dunno if I'm toward the end yet. I hope not, otherwise game would feel short lol. But eh. Let's see. I'm still trying to do a lot of side quests to prolong the fun, but there's only so many times you can clear Zin Troops or wait around for a virus before you get mad. I don't really find the mini games fun, they're fucking hard and stressful. At least it was earlier on lol, I shouldn't have tried to do them then. I have all the superpowers now, and wow what a difference it makes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post

I was doing a long ass mission, struggling and crying through it, when I finally get to a warden fight. Suddenly, during the fight, while running around sprinting, game crashes. I restart PS3 and restart only to realize that the objective was all very long and I had to start over completely.

I. was. Fucking. MAD.

I switched to normal mode to do it since I was so fucking pissed off and LOL that shit it soooooooooooo easy. You're like a fucking tank, you take NO damage, and then the respect multiplier is fucking huge at the end. No wonder you guys were like "oh just run around and kill people for health" when I was like "...how am I supposed to live that long when there's no cover for most of these and the portals and aliens constantly chase you..." It's just because it's easy.

I dunno if I'm toward the end yet. I hope not, otherwise game would feel short lol. But eh. Let's see. I'm still trying to do a lot of side quests to prolong the fun, but there's only so many times you can clear Zin Troops or wait around for a virus before you get mad. I don't really find the mini games fun, they're fucking hard and stressful. At least it was earlier on lol, I shouldn't have tried to do them then. I have all the superpowers now, and wow what a difference it makes.
    I've not tried hard for too long, but so far it feels not much more difficult then normal. Not touched easy at all. Of course the PC makes it easier overall I think. Just point, click, head-shot.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post
    Oh yeah. SR4 was great fun, but there's no question SR3 is still (in my mind) the jewel on the crown.

SR4 removing the cheaty upgrades like damage immunity and instant reloads was pretty slick, but otherwise felt like a total downgrade in gameplay terms otherwise.

Because the side quests all have you running around doing activities and such, you're always swimming in cash and XP. I was level 50 well before the 75% mark in the game, had unlimited ammo for everything, maxed out damage resistances, maxed out powers... it was kind of boring. Pop Freeze Buff power (seriously, Freeze element is so stupidly overpowered it's not even funny), spam rockets, rinse and repeat.

In SR3, I had to take a break from doing missions towards the end (there was one STAG mission, the one where you go grab Nyteblade and have to fight your way out) to earn some cash to bump up my weapon upgrades and damage resistances, because I was just dying too easily. I guess that's what side quests are for, but still...

I also felt like SR4 lacked a lot of "cash dump" mechanics like buying properties and upgrading cribs. All cash earned is always shunted directly into upgrades because cars are so pointless and superpowers are on a different currency, so it felt like The Boss was always ahead of the curve the entire way through. I really would've preferred to see the crib system expanded upon, rather than scrapped. I would've loved a psuedo-SimCity aspect added to the game, and something like that could add to replay/post-ending value.

As it is, SR4 is still a game I'd emphatically recommend to anyone that likes open-world sandbox games; if I wanted to get someone into that genre who's never really played them much, SR3 would still be my go-to game.

I have to make the Portal/Portal 2 comparison here - just like with those two games, the sequel added a ton of stuff and was a fantastic game, but still never quite managed to reach its predecessor's genius.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

really dissapointed by this game. Looks like its just SR3 with new powers. Almost all quests are "run here, do challenge/event" nothing but it.

10+ Year Old Account

I. was. Fucking. MAD.

I played the whole way through on Hardcore. I think I legit died like... once to Zinyak and that was it.

Game crashed twice, that's annoying as fuck, but whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by raist474 View Post
    This game is a ridiculous time sink. Its going to be fun when I deploy again. Especially with mods.

My only beef is the random tearing and the orange water. I can't wait for some texture mods.
    Water is supposed to have that reddish checkerboard texture when you're close to it. It's the whole "simulation" thing.

I just finished without doing a single co-op mission and I'm at 95%. My guess is it's the collectibles and you just didn't get as many. I thought the length was good, took me 20 hours. I don't know many single player games now-a-days that last that long. A lot of newer AAA titles last like 10 hours. Maybe because they re-used the city they had more time to focus on the story, which I have no problem with. I think more games should re-use certain aspect of the previous games and just make it better from there with a new story. I don't understand why so many people need every texture to be new and shiny.

Also, without any spoilers, I don't see how the series can end here without another game. Maybe it won't be "saints row V" but there has got to be something planned with an ending like that.
    I didn't really see any room for a full-on sequel, just a little room for DLC. We already know the fate of everyone important, anyway.

If they ain't on the ship, they dead. I guess you could do an ass-pull and say the others survived (except Oleg, he's definitely dead) by being grabbed by Zinyak before the big boom... but that'd be bullshit. They already did that with Johnny Gat; it worked because, fuck man, it's Johnny Gat. With anyone else, it would've just been lame.

Nah, it's the end of the line for Saint's Row. It's been a good run, let it rest.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Water is supposed to have that reddish checkerboard texture when you're close to it. It's the whole "simulation" thing.
    Actually, it seems that the game engine is no longer able to render water. At a guess, they used up those pixel shaders on the "matrix" effects. For example, at one point you will revisit the Saints HQ from SR:3. but the swimming pool will have a cover on it.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    I've not tried hard for too long, but so far it feels not much more difficult then normal. Not touched easy at all. Of course the PC makes it easier overall I think. Just point, click, head-shot.
    Ya idk how you guys were saying "aim for the head" earlier either. It's fucking impossible to line up your reticle long enough that you don't get shot dead while doing so.

Hardest part about hard mode is staying alive. Which is tough as fuck before you get certain superpowers. The only difference I notice between hard and normal and I guess casual mode is that you take a ton less damage, your hits do more damage, and respect/cash are on steroids.

PizzaShark idk how you played through hard mode without dying. Besides Zinyak. I remember saving Asha against myself I was just getting slammed and died like crazy to murderbots. It was a nightmare. I died so many times.

Idk how you got to level 50 that early too lol. I did all the hacks and loyalties and I wasn't close to 50.

About the ending. Apparently there are two endings. One where you just say you're gonna conquer the universe, and another if you get all loyalties up that you see Jane Austen and go dancing.

But I thought the Saints go back in time or some shit so Earth is alive...

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya idk how you guys were saying "aim for the head" earlier either. It's fucking impossible to line up your reticle long enough that you don't get shot dead while doing so.
    PEBKAC.

PizzaShark idk how you played through hard mode without dying. Besides Zinyak. I remember saving Asha against myself I was just getting slammed and died like crazy to murderbots. It was a nightmare. I died so many times.
    Butcher the random henchmen for health, blast the murderbots to bits, hide behind the computers or whatever they are and shoot the boss while he tries to line up on you. There's some kind of bug where you can be hidden just so that you can easily shoot them, but they won't shoot at you because I guess they can't "see" you. Did it to phase 1 of Zinyak, too - phase 1 of that boss is such a boring slog that I didn't feel like I was missing anything by cheesing that portion of the fight.

Idk how you got to level 50 that early too lol. I did all the hacks and loyalties and I wasn't close to 50.
    You aren't doing enough crazy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by usiris View Post
    I know that feel; I was playing this game the other day where I was shooting fire and frost out of my hands at a giant troll, trying to gather fragments to bring to a dragon prince...I had to step back and bring my self to reality.
    Its a real concern among many people. Saints Row IV is just.. I wouldn't of guessed from the Tv trailer what I was seeing is the same game that rivaled GTA when Saints Row 2 came out. Its almost a joke that such a plot even exists and uses the title of Saints Row. I was thinking to myself "WHAT THE LIVING HELL happened between Saints Row 2 and 4??" I went from the leader of a crippled gang to fighting off an alien empire with superpowers and UFOs.

So yes, my suspension of disbelief cannot handle this game. How far into the future is Saints Row 4 compared to Saints Row 2? 5 years? 10 years? Just too silly and ridiculous to be a game that once took itself moderately seriously and competed with GTA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Its a real concern among many people. Saints Row IV is just.. I wouldn't of guessed from the Tv trailer what I was seeing is the same game that rivaled GTA when Saints Row 2 came out. Its almost a joke that such a plot even exists and uses the title of Saints Row. I was thinking to myself "WHAT THE LIVING HELL happened between Saints Row 2 and 4??" I went from the leader of a crippled gang to fighting off an alien empire with superpowers and UFOs.

So yes, my suspension of disbelief cannot handle this game. How far into the future is Saints Row 4 compared to Saints Row 2? 5 years? 10 years? Just too silly and ridiculous to be a game that once took itself moderately seriously and competed with GTA.
    It does compete with GTA, and quite well. GTA went the serious route, SR went the fun route.

I don't see what the problem is. SR4 is a brilliant game, sure as fuck better than GTA4 was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just too silly and ridiculous to be a game that once took itself moderately seriously and competed with GTA.
    You must have had a VERY different Copy of Saints row 2 then I did... cause what I remember was a game that got beaten in the market by GTA (personally I dislike GTA) and had me ridding around in a sewage truck spraying people & buildings while wearing a hot dog costume.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Brilliant. Utterly fucking Brilliant. I won't say it's better than gta IV but you can tell the developers had a ton of fun making this game right down to the credits. I absolutely LOVED the dance line at the end and the montel jordan song brought back some memories from the 90's so did the stan bush song at the end when you get the power suit well fucking done. Sets the bar insanely high for GTA V
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Brilliant. Utterly fucking Brilliant. I won't say it's better than gta IV but you can tell the developers had a ton of fun making this game right down to the credits. I absolutely LOVED the dance line at the end and the montel jordan song brought back some memories from the 90's so did the stan bush song at the end when you get the power suit well fucking done. Sets the bar insanely high for GTA V
    I'm not sure it sets any bars for GTA 5, unless GTA is going back towards the somewhat goofy gameplay and plot style that Vice City and San Andreas (still the best GTA of all time) had going.

Saint's Row has been consistently going for the goofy option, while GTA has consistently been going for the serious option. They're in the same genre, but I'm not even sure if I would call them directly competing.

10+ Year Old Account

There is no such thing as too silly and ridiculous in a video game. I didn't play Saints Row 1 but 2, 3, and 4 were all laughs. Isn't the point of playing a video game to have fun? what isn't fun about running around looking like anything you could possibly imagine with whacked out guns and super powers while fighting off aliens? The writing is brilliant and the voice actors do an amazing job, I was laughing through most of the game.

Also you don't actually have superpowers. You are playing in a virtual reality where changes in code allow you to get what appears to be super powers. There are a lot of moments in the game where you go on a mission in the real Saints Row world and don't have any of those powers.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Deleted
    Still have to do last missions and finish up some golds, got all collectibles and at 95% without touching Co-Op.

About 25 hrs in so far, enjoyed it for the run.

Only thing is that the game crashed like 5-6 times over that. (On PS3 o.o)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by YouAreAllWrong View Post
    After watching this video a few days age, the game went from "day 1" status to "maybe in a steam sale after a year or two" status.
    I prefer the over the top gangster superstar theme. I don't like the new direction, didn't really enjoy Prototype, Infamous or Crackdown either, but I guess the superhero open world setting has it's fanbase.
    I don't know if it was TB not doing justice to the game, but the whole gameplay footage looks ultra boring, generic and indeed more fitting as a DLC from The Third.
    That is because it was DLC until the company went bankrupt and the people taking over decided to just expand the idea and create a new game around it.