Poll: To boobs or not to boobs

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    There aren't any complaints about breasts in the article or from the people the article is about. A (female) games writer made an off-the-cuff tweet about boobs and it snow-balled. I'm wondering how many people in this thread just saw "Fox News", "boobs" and "video games" in the link and decided to make up their own article.
    If it was juts an article about the tweet, and the resulting 'game jam', then there wouldn't be much to care about... well, beyond the part where her tweet presents women as emotionally retarded crybabies, but one can assume that she's presenting her own reaction to that particular situation, rather than the average woman's, and so give her the benefit of the dubt and assume that she's just presenting herself as such. Actually, I guess the part where it attempts to equate the 'boob jam' with the indie speed run is also pretty suspect.

But that's not all that the article's about. It's also about breast physics, how terrible boobs are, how video games don't show this terrible side of boobs, how this makes women cry (for one reason or another), and how those awful straight white males are to blame, as usual. Feel free to compare the amount of paragraphs complaining about boobs or white males, to the number of paragraphs talking about the game jam and the part of the tweets that are about that jam (rather than about complaints about the former). You're not allowed to include the "what is a game jam" section.

The article sounds just like another "straight white males make women cry" piece.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Agoonga View Post
    It's like the ridiculous people that like the new Tomb Raider more because "her boobs are smaller".
    Boobs require balance.

I mean, D's look good on the right person, but on average, for a woman of average and/or athletic build C's just look better. Ds on a woman with a thinner than average build just look silly.

Plus it just illustrates the direction the video game industry is going "LULZ SHE HAS BIG BOOBS BUY ARE GAME LOLLERSKATES by the way we've 'refined' the combat system so that you can play the game using nothing but the d-pad, allowing you to keep a hand free "

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a much better way to address the subject than suggesting that all women in video games be restricted to C's or less.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nictuswolf View Post
    I agree with the skimpy armor comment.

I like sexy females but there is a limit for between sexy and slutty.

IE the difference between Elven and castanic in Tera.

The difference is night and day.

Gotta leave something to the imagination imo.
    "doing it right ?"

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nictuswolf View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/08/...ntcmp=features

I know, "Fox...blah blah blah". Read the article, worth it.

I am tearing up from laughter at work right now about this...

Anything to complain about something, you are complaining that Breasts are "Unrealistic"...She summons monsters and casts magic not to mention the fact she knocks huge creatures into the air, jumps into the air, stays airborne for 20 seconds, processed to dash around seemingly jumping off air.

But the Breasts are unrealistic.....

Do guys complain about the male characters being to ripped in a game, that it is an "unrealistic" representation of real life....Don't we play video games to get away from real life?

Imo.....Boobs or gtfo.
    I think what they did with Lightning was pretty juvenile and sexist.

They changed her and the only change was making her tits bigger. Not sure how that's important to the character or the game itself. Oh wait! It ISNT!

i didnt read the article but boobs are generally way too big on game characters, could be i say this because i prefer smaller breast on real woman so.. who knows? if maybe the game creators would put in more than one male model and more than one female model (or just an aion style scaling creation?) this wouldnt be a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post

They changed her and the only change was making her tits bigger. Not sure how that's important to the character or the game itself. Oh wait! It ISNT!
    I'm sorry but I have to:

says the guy with the big-boobed human Rainbow Dash avatar.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lonefalcon View Post
    "doing it right ?"

We all know the adepta sororitas are man hating dykes, they be jelly they can't get the seed! (Geneseed)

-

Seriously though, i have no idea why i entered bar seeing this picture.

So i'll just leave...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm personally not a fan of the skimpy revealing armors on female characters in video
    games but I don't mind it too much.

If you don't like bouncy unrealistic boobs then don't play games that have them. It's
    really that simple. There is no need to crusade against them.

There is reason why we don't play kitchen cleaning simulators with a fat neckbeard
    character but instead slay dragons with busty elves in skimpy clothing.

It surely has gone up a few too many notches, but in the end boobs sell.

Quote Originally Posted by juzalol View Post
    I'm personally not a fan of the skimpy revealing armors on female characters in video
    games but I don't mind it too much.

If you don't like bouncy unrealistic boobs then don't play games that have them. It's
    really that simple. There is no need to crusade against them.

There is reason why we don't play kitchen cleaning simulators with a fat neckbeard
    character but instead slay dragons with busty elves in skimpy clothing.

It surely has gone up a few too many notches, but in the end boobs sell.
    l just had a picture pop to mind of ellie from borderlands 2 received her own starring role in cleaning simulator

Lots of preferences I see "Personally I don't like large boob" "videogames have gone too far" "I don't like skimpy clothing" etc. I think instead of people saying what they want based on their personal preference, they should let the customers decide what they want, instead of being told what they think they want. Why would people want restrictions on what people create? If you don't like it, you don't have to support it. There is never a reason to support censorship. People get caught up in petty debates of preferences and parade those preferences as something everyone else should believe.

Additionally I don't know why they used a picture of lightning and then said "or that attractiveness is often engineered from a straight white male's perspective.", as it's a Japanese game.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    It's not non-sense because you don't agree with it though.

But seeing as the two of you have ridiculous emotional outbursts on things like these, I'm not sure I can expect to have a conversation with any of you.
    Follow this advice:

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kame Guru View Post
    Yet you're the one who dragged this into this thread. How about you control your own emotional outbursts and not bother with continuation of drama.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post

Either Lightning grew up and became more womanly-shaped (don't know how old she is, but she looks 14) or she had a baby.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Either Lightning grew up and became more womanly-shaped (don't know how old she is, but she looks 14) or she had a baby.
    I would like to point out, that after several google image searches, I can't seem to find any picture of Lightning with unrealistically huge boobs, or even realistically huge boobs.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    If it was juts an article about the tweet, and the resulting 'game jam', then there wouldn't be much to care about... well, beyond the part where her tweet presents women as emotionally retarded crybabies, but one can assume that she's presenting her own reaction to that particular situation, rather than the average woman's, and so give her the benefit of the dubt and assume that she's just presenting herself as such. Actually, I guess the part where it attempts to equate the 'boob jam' with the indie speed run is also pretty suspect.

But that's not all that the article's about. It's also about breast physics, how terrible boobs are, how video games don't show this terrible side of boobs, how this makes women cry (for one reason or another), and how those awful straight white males are to blame, as usual. Feel free to compare the amount of paragraphs complaining about boobs or white males, to the number of paragraphs talking about the game jam and the part of the tweets that are about that jam (rather than about complaints about the former). You're not allowed to include the "what is a game jam" section.

The article sounds just like another "straight white males make women cry" piece.
    I counted zero complaints about boobs and straight white males. The article isn't "this perspective is bad", it's more "hey this perspective can be good too".

I think the best thing I like about the whole, "unrealistic boobs are bad!!" thing is that no one bats an eye at macho men with unrealistic muscles and all that tripe. Or male characters who look like women themselves.

While I have no issue with either, they are the female equivlent, are they not?

I really don't care if the breasts are somewhat large and bouncing around, so long as it fits into what's going on. If the art style of the characters is unrealistic, why can't the boobs be? The only thing that ever bothers me is the usual "bikini armor" thing in some games, that's just because it's hard to RP when your female warriors look like they should be dancing on the nearest mailbox rather than fighting off whatever scourge is threatening the land...
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Deleted
    So when we have metrosexual main characters (tidus, cloud) or androgynous males in FF there's no problem - and by that I mean, they are probably not meant to "appeal to the white heterosexual stereotype".
    But when boobs start bouncing people get all mad.

I'm pretty sure they put tons of work in her hair too, make it look more realistic (or attractive as you wish) why should they make less effort for the breasts...just because its breasts astounds me.

What's funny is that a few weeks ago we had that wave of "women can finally go on the streets breast naked" the main reason being that boobs are just one of the many body parts, nothing more nothing less. That was supposed to be feminism.
    Now in this case we have a woman criticizing the fact that we put time and money to make girls in video game appealing and she focuses on the boobs as if it was ludicrous to treat them like the rest of the body. And is that supposed to be feminism ?

Then which one is it ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neow View Post
    So when we have metrosexual main characters (tidus, cloud) or androgynous males in FF there's no problem - and by that I mean, they are probably not meant to "appeal to the white heterosexual stereotype".
    But when boobs start bouncing people get all mad.

I'm pretty sure they put tons of work in her hair too, make it look more realistic (or attractive as you wish) why should they make less effort for the breasts...just because its breasts astounds me.

What's funny is that a few weeks ago we had that wave of "women can finally go on the streets breast naked" the main reason being that boobs are just one of the many body parts, nothing more nothing less. That was supposed to be feminism.
    Now in this case we have a woman criticizing the fact that we put time and money to make girls in video game appealing and she focuses on the boobs as if it was ludicrous to treat them like the rest of the body. And is that supposed to be feminism ?

Then which one is it ?
    Boobs are the god damned international symbol of happiness, why do people never understand this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Both thread and article...

To always have to be focused on and overdone is stupid. To try to counter it with something else that focuses on boobs but with boring normal life stuff is also stupid.

If boobs always have to be focused on and overdone, then we need to start demanding obvious improvements and focus on the male characters below the belt. Like really obvious. Like why is he so huge, this isn't realistic for combat huge. Because of this his pants will also fall just a bit inappropriately low, and this improves his combat. Enough of an model improvement to where it's someday considered lame if a male character is given a more normal model or silly to like the normal one better.
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2013-08-10 at 11:57 PM.

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure they're not putting more focus on the boobs that they are on the hair, muscles, eyes, facial expression, movements, voice etc etc...

It's juste one thing amongst so many... Yes they're taking time to make them "right" just as they're taking time for all the rest....

10+ Year Old Account
    People should be allowed to make character look like however the want. If they like unrealistic proportions, go for it.

I don't much care for oversexualization in games, but I don't see the need to tell others that they should feel the same.

Also, why is there only a yay or nay option for the poll? Where's the "I don't care" option?