Poll: To boobs or not to boobs

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind breasts in games, heck I like them, the natural looking kind. I don't like gravity defying watermelons and I boggle at people who purposely dress their characters in lingerie in any kind of multiplayer.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2013-08-12 at 10:08 PM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    shit like this is why the majority of video game "journalists" dont have a spec of credibility. like seriously? THIS is what you focus on? you cant actually write a story on the actual game? "OMG HER BREASTS ARE BIG AND FLOP AROUND! BETTER WRITE ABOUT HOW UNREALISTIC IT IS!"

its a video game. get over it. final fantasy isnt marketed to people looking for super realism. hasnt been since it was first created. no way is that changing now. id LOVE to see what she has to say about dead or alive. the breasts in that game are on their own level lol.
    Like it or not, the graphic style is probably the most important part of the game. You may go on and on about mechanics and gameplay if you want, but don't be fooled: Hardly anyone actually understands the mechanics anyway. As for gameplay: As long as the physics engine does its work as intended, ability queues work smoothly, and the game doesn't ask you to juggle stances for different abilities, as long as hit boxes are tight and graphics don't conflict, you'll probably be perfectly happy with the gameplay elements.

What you'll be looking at mostly is the graphics. And when 'graphics' really means 'tits,' then what you've got is a developer team who really cannot give two flying fucks about 'the game.' Like it or not, the graphic designers of computer games aren't all brilliant artists at work. More often than not, they're just as 'hurrduur *drool* bewbies lolz' as the average... Well; anime fan. Woah, did I just generalize that to a point where you may think I'm being unfair? Maybe so. Your avatar (Shingeki no Kyoujin) does lead me to believe you are an anime fan. Well; since I recognized the symbol, I must admit that I (occasionally) watch some anime myself... But I often just can't make myself watch much of it because of its blatant infantile smuttiness.

And when an artstyle is blatantly and childishly smutty, what do you expect the quality of its story-content will be like, hmm? As in: Really? Well; I can tell you: Teenage shounen powertrip hero fantasy, that's what. And yes, that IS offensive to women. Not to mention shallow and just plain stupid. It always follows the same path, really: Some woman gets captured, and the hero (completely lacking much in masculine traits, him being a scrawny teenager who's yet to produce a single whisker from his chin) sets out to successfully save her. She'll be bound at some point, and pretty damned big titted. The bindings will accentuate the breasts, not to emphasize the binding itself, but to emphasize the sexuality of the scene, which is, of course, the actual drive for the story: It is a sex fantasy, as much about objects of lust as those smutty romance novels your mum keeps under the bed.

Is it detrimental to the game? Of course it is. It sets the scene, after all. Final Fantasy is absolutely crap mostly because of its heavily pedophiliac content (seriously; cutesy plushies and overly sexualized children and boobies should not be put together). In fact, this whole thing seems to rule most of the video-game and comic/cartoon 'culture' we get out of Japan. Quite frankly, it's giving Japan a really bad name. But you have to remember that the people who make this kind of thing are often the people who jack off to their own creations.

Maybe the big breasts aren't the problem in and of itself (apart from being utterly ridiculous; a different problem), but they're definitely a symptom of a far greater problem: Disgusting people (typically young males) with low self esteems and lacking social skills who're trying to make themselves feel better by engorging themselves on offensive control fantasies. And the product is usually just simply shit, because they really don't care about anything else.

It's NOT art.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    That usually happens more often when a game is devoid of any actual character/isn't cerebral at all/is a total piece of shit. Game Dev 101: When your game is a complete travesty...inject tits.
    Except that games in this line from Vanillaware are pretty phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    *Snip*; because this much 'mad' shouldn't be there twice on the same page
    It's funny that you're this mad - but also sad to see that there are people who actually believe the devs are immature and childish.

Do you want to know why the sorcereress has large breasts?
    A previous Vanillaware game, Odin Sphere, has a character - the Queen of the Underworld - who has very large breasts.
    In Grim Grimoire, the professor of Necromancy Opalneria Rain and former necromancy professor Lujie Piche (a ghost) are also both large-breasted women.
    And in Dragon's Crown, the skeleton-summoning Sorceress is also busty.
    What they all have in common, aside from their large breasts, is their mastery of Necromancy. All of these women in Vanillaware games can raise the dead.

Time for a lesson in anatomy: The functional purpsoe of breasts in mammals is to provide milk for offspring. They give life. The artist, George Kamitani, uses this motiff for his characters who give life to the dead.

Breasts are a recurring motif of fertility goddesses; life-givers. In the worlds in Vanillaware's games, the power of Necromancy is the power to give life.
    George Kamitani is taking the traditional 'Fertility Goddess' motif of breasts, and applying it to necromancy. That is a way-cool source of inspiration.

Now, take a look at this two-picture album:
    http://imgur.com/59KJFxj,ytpNJkm#0
    Look at the similarities: The support for the back of the neck; the tenderness by which they both support them.

You know how Fantasy often depicts necromancy:
    Old creepy men huddled over corpses, reeking of death, surrounded by groaning, tortured undead; COMMANDING the dead to rise.
    Have you ever seen a motherly depiction of necromancy? That is a fresh and interestign depiction of a classic fantasy archetype.

George Kamitani has done something very interesting with a very old trope of fantasy; one dominated by ancient dried-up old men that command; and he's turned it into the domain of young women who nurture.

I'm a woman and I loved Odin Sphere and Grim Grimoire; Dragon's Crown hits the same mark.
    I'm not "offended" by the art style, because it's stylized and fun, and follows a pretty sharp, interesting motif - and I think that anybody who's actually -offended- by Grim Grimoire's Sorceress' rockin' set are morons.

But, (most importantly) the gameplay is solid.
    Last edited by Sousoulsu; 2013-08-13 at 12:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Huell's forehead is a fucking superpower in and of itself. He's like the Juggernaut.
    Huell, you happy?

Reasonably.

Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by sarahfireworks View Post
    Boobs or GTFO, duh. It's the internet.

Really this complaint again? *sighs*
    Nope, no complaints just an article about a game-jam featuring boobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Huell, you happy?

Reasonably.

lol it's little moments like this one that makes Breaking Bad my second favorite tv show ever (#1 is Game of Thrones...)
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Come on and slam! And welcome to the jam!

This is in my head now.

P.S. The webpage is smothered in ads for Wartune. The ironing is delicious.

But it's time to get real: Breasts are a lot more than just sexy; they can be a serious health risk.
    This sentence makes the world a sadder place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sousoulsu View Post
    It's funny that you're this mad - but also sad to see that there are people who actually believe the devs are immature and childish.

Do you want to know why the sorcereress has large breasts?
    A previous Vanillaware game, Odin Sphere, has a character - the Queen of the Underworld - who has very large breasts.
    In Grim Grimoire, the professor of Necromancy Opalneria Rain and former necromancy professor Lujie Piche (a ghost) are also both large-breasted women.
    And in Dragon's Crown, the skeleton-summoning Sorceress is also busty.
    What they all have in common, aside from their large breasts, is their mastery of Necromancy. All of these women in Vanillaware games can raise the dead.

Time for a lesson in anatomy: The functional purpsoe of breasts in mammals is to provide milk for offspring. They give life. The artist, George Kamitani, uses this motiff for his characters who give life to the dead.
    I think you're reading way too much into it. However... Even if you were right, wouldn't those breasts be better suited for healing characters? If the symbolism was indeed so thoughtful, wouldn't you think the developer would have realized that 'hmm; necromancy is about talking to dead people; not about giving life...'
    But even if you want to draw that conclusion, don't you think 'large breasts' would have been enough?

As for your example of how female deities are always depicted as big-breasted because of their association with nurture: Indo-European traditions at least do not seem to agree with you there. Quite the contrary, in fact.

As for believing devs can be immature and childish: I make games. I know people who make computer games.
    Most game developers are, first and foremost, fans of the genre. Many of them are not at all above the 'hurr-durr *shlurp* titties!' sense of humour; they started out with that sense of humour. Oftentimes, it was their social awkwardness (this kind of humour being a very, very large part (both integral and resultant) of what sparked their interests in, indeed, anime and JPRGs.
    It can be a bit cringeworthy at times, but there you have it: The people who develop and design your games are just people. Often, they're the ones who use games to escape reality, and have made their lives (mostly) about games by now making them. Sometimes, it means that you'll get really stupid systems. Most usually, it means that you'll get terribly huge amounts of nudity. It may depend a bit on who's doing the art style, but games don't make themselves, so system developers, programmers and animators have more than enough opportunities to stop something like that happening... If they want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh look fox news getting its 65yr+ audience all riled up about certain body parts.......how unoriginal.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    I think you're reading way too much into it. However... Even if you were right, wouldn't those breasts be better suited for healing characters? If the symbolism was indeed so thoughtful, wouldn't you think the developer would have realized that 'hmm; necromancy is about talking to dead people; not about giving life...'
    But even if you want to draw that conclusion, don't you think 'large breasts' would have been enough?

As for your example of how female deities are always depicted as big-breasted because of their association with nurture: Indo-European traditions at least do not seem to agree with you there. Quite the contrary, in fact.

As for believing devs can be immature and childish: I make games. I know people who make computer games.
    Most game developers are, first and foremost, fans of the genre. Many of them are not at all above the 'hurr-durr *shlurp* titties!' sense of humour; they started out with that sense of humour. Oftentimes, it was their social awkwardness (this kind of humour being a very, very large part (both integral and resultant) of what sparked their interests in, indeed, anime and JPRGs.
    It can be a bit cringeworthy at times, but there you have it: The people who develop and design your games are just people. Often, they're the ones who use games to escape reality, and have made their lives (mostly) about games by now making them. Sometimes, it means that you'll get really stupid systems. Most usually, it means that you'll get terribly huge amounts of nudity. It may depend a bit on who's doing the art style, but games don't make themselves, so system developers, programmers and animators have more than enough opportunities to stop something like that happening... If they want to.
    Really? Buxom, full-bodied women aren't what fertility goddesses of ancient times were often projected as?
    http://imgur.com/2AytTGc,vWXUtqW,B9scHHi,9VDHLoZ#3
    Interesting.
    There are far more goddesses of the heart, home and fertility that are busty than not. I'd really like to see you make your case for that.

I'm not sure why you're still trying to argue this.
    "Wouldn't large breasts be better suited for healing characters?"
    Not necessarily.. Buffing characters? Maybe. There aren't any healing or buffing archetypes in Dragons' Crown, because it's not the sort of game that lends itself to that.
    But the motif of a fertile young woman with large, wholesome breasts nurturing the dead and making them from worthless piles of bones to strong, worthy fighters works perfectly well, and was, indeed, the intent behind the characters' designs.
    Check out every single available picture of the characters I've mentioned. They all carry themselves in a matronly fashion, with the corpses they've animated.

The fact that you make games and know people who make games is entirely irrelevant. It doesn't make you any more qualified to make commentary on what the devs behind these games are like, as people. George Kamitani has done several interviews recently, and the way he answers to the interviewer doesn't at all give off the impression that he's a juvenile loser who likes drawing big tittays because it gets him off. He may enjoy it, as I'd expect any man to, but that's not all that's there.

I would have never thought that you'd be involved in anything artistic like game design based on your first post alone. The way you think about devs of games as a group of snickering middle-schoolers is beyond degrading - MUCH moreso than any game that has a character with big boobs in it ever was.

Again: I'm not even sure why you're even arguing. You're certainly backpeddling, and at that point, you're admitting to having been off-base in your first post of rage-frothing.
    All you really have is baseless conjecture.

A bit of advice: Don't try to fit people you don't know into a box of people you do.
    Not all bankers are corrupt.
    Not all 20-somethings are clueless.
    Not all game designers are juvenile life-escapists who live vicariously through the characters they create.
    And not all people who make games are qualified to make assertions about more successful game devs than them.
    Last edited by Sousoulsu; 2013-08-13 at 04:35 AM.

"BUT WON'T ALL THESE TITS HELP KEEP OUR GOOD STRAPPING YOUNG MEN KEEP FROM BECOMING EVIL HOMOSEXUALS?"
    "Oh shit, but what about the girls?"
    "Good thing they don't play video games anyway, right?"

These are probably all things that were actually said at Fox during the creation of that "article."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    "BUT WON'T ALL THESE TITS HELP KEEP OUR GOOD STRAPPING YOUNG MEN KEEP FROM BECOMING EVIL HOMOSEXUALS?"

These are probably all things that were actually said at Fox during the creation of that "article."
    Well, I guess it worked. My wife and I are gamers, and I'm straight and she's bi.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post

You overestimate Fox that they'd even make it to the second line.

10+ Year Old Account
    What are you trying to say by "comprehensive?" Are you trying to say "better"? That is makes more sense?
    I meant it makes more sense. Star Child and the Reaper harvest makes more sense than the plots of all the animes I've seen.

Now; I know you're banned for the moment, but I'm going to reply anyway, expecting you aren't permabanned.
    Really? Buxom, full-bodied women aren't what fertility goddesses of ancient times were often projected as?
    http://imgur.com/2AytTGc,vWXUtqW,B9scHHi,9VDHLoZ#3
    Interesting.
    There are far more goddesses of the heart, home and fertility that are busty than not. I'd really like to see you make your case for that.

I'm not sure why you're still trying to argue this.
    But that isn't entirely what I was responding to. You said 'all goddesses.'
    The statue you linked, by the way, is most definitely a fertility symbol, but there is little indication that it is, indeed, a representation of a deity. In fact, archaeological finds of such statues are often unfairly dubbed 'goddesses,' simply because they're not exceptional; statues of livestock are even more prevalent, yet nobody points at those and goes 'gods.'
    Still; notice how the fertility is portrayed here mostly by large hips and a large belly. Not so much the breasts.

"Wouldn't large breasts be better suited for healing characters?"
    Not necessarily.. Buffing characters? Maybe. There aren't any healing or buffing archetypes in Dragons' Crown, because it's not the sort of game that lends itself to that.
    But the motif of a fertile young woman with large, wholesome breasts nurturing the dead and making them from worthless piles of bones to strong, worthy fighters works perfectly well, and was, indeed, the intent behind the characters' designs.
    Check out every single available picture of the characters I've mentioned. They all carry themselves in a matronly fashion, with the corpses they've animated.
    And I state again: Wouldn't 'large breasts' be sufficient if you want to go for this kind of symbolism in the first place?

The fact that you make games and know people who make games is entirely irrelevant. It doesn't make you any more qualified to make commentary on what the devs behind these games are like, as people. George Kamitani has done several interviews recently, and the way he answers to the interviewer doesn't at all give off the impression that he's a juvenile loser who likes drawing big tittays because it gets him off. He may enjoy it, as I'd expect any man to, but that's not all that's there.
    And as you'd expect any man to enjoy drawing titties, I'd expect men who enjoy drawing titties for the purpose of titties have a pretty strong streak of immaturity.

I would have never thought that you'd be involved in anything artistic like game design based on your first post alone. The way you think about devs of games as a group of snickering middle-schoolers is beyond degrading - MUCH moreso than any game that has a character with big boobs in it ever was.
    They're setting themselves up for it by choosing this particular 'art style.' You're setting yourself up for it by faboying over it.

Again: I'm not even sure why you're even arguing. You're certainly backpeddling, and at that point, you're admitting to having been off-base in your first post of rage-frothing.
    All you really have is baseless conjecture.
    No; I have admitted to being offensive in my 'rage-frothing.' I was offensive, however, with a purpose. It clearly didn't work.

A bit of advice: Don't try to fit people you don't know into a box of people you do.
    Not all bankers are corrupt.
    Not all 20-somethings are clueless.
    Not all game designers are juvenile life-escapists who live vicariously through the characters they create.
    And not all people who make games are qualified to make assertions about more successful game devs than them.
    First of all, I don't make computer games. So their success doesn't phase me as such. Second: I didn't say 'all' game designers are juvenile life escapists who live vicariously through the characters they create... Though every game designer is an escapist by nature, like any artist ever is an escapist. I said MANY game developers are juvenile and immature. And I said that oversexualization in adventure games is the kind of 'hurr-durr-drool' immaturity that I cannot appreciate.
    Last edited by Stir; 2013-08-13 at 11:46 AM.