Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    That's silly, any historian would argue a progressive trend in society across several fronts. Changing, as you put it, to a set of values from the past, is inherently moving backwards.

I don't at all think it's acceptable that if we want privacy we have to do that. We should be allocated privacy in equal measures with security. To much of one or the other causes issues imo.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll agree with that, we need a major overhaul in election mechanics. Starting with the electoral college. Ending with the way president potentiates are presented to society.

As it stands now, if it's a republican candidate I just assume he's full of shit. If it's a democrat candidate, I also assume he's full of shit
    And if its an independent, I'll assume he'll be full of crap when he gets the presidency and realizes idealism tends to go away fast when faced with heavy responsibility. less crappy than R or D, but still crappy.

All that spying has existed long before 9/11 - you would be very naive to believe otherwise.

Since the WW2 ended the USA has been GREATLY interested in spying everyone and everywhere, be it USA citizens or the USSR or it's European "allies".

This will never change, since spying is absolutely crucial to the politics, economy and industry (especially war industry) of both USA and the big business corporations that pretty much run USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasuya View Post
    I care about my privacy. Same reason you do not want your neighbor reading your email or text massages. Government officials are to me strangers, and unless they have a warrant for me, I would feel violated if they spied in on me. For me personally meta data doesn't bother me that much. But just stay away from the content of my private internet activities. As for the NSA program, so far no one has been able to link a terrorist who has been stopped by NSA surveillance program, traditional detective work has been far more effective as a counter-terrorism method.

also you are acting like you have ABSOLUTE TRUST in the fucking government, but how can you be so sure they are perfect?
    It turns our they are targeting people with political or philosophical differences with the government.

"A security training test created by a Defense Department agency warns federal workers that they should consider the hypothetical Indian-American woman ["Hema"] a “high threat” because she frequently visits family abroad, has money troubles and “speaks openly of unhappiness with U.S. foreign policy.”

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/07/pent...icy/singleton/

- - - Updated - - -

215 section of the patriot act ; )
    as a terrorist, i would be GLAD if you make all the ways you do your security public knowledge, that way i have INSTANT ACCESS to it and be able to avoid or counteract you and TERRORIZE you EASIER!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeHoney View Post
    as a terrorist, i would be GLAD if you make all the ways you do your security public knowledge, that way i have INSTANT ACCESS to it and be able to avoid or counteract you and TERRORIZE you EASIER!!!
    Obscurity is not security.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    you cant spy on the bad guy if he KNOWS how and what you are spying... so, if you ppl dont want to be able to spy on the bad guy, go ahead and make all of our spys tell the public how and what they are spying and PAY them to do a job that CANT BE DONE anymore... freaking idiots...

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    This could come back to bite the US in the ass. Perhaps Russia will be the one to bite...

...and then get bitten themselves for being homophobic.

Two birds with (a sort-of) one stone

Quote Originally Posted by HomeHoney View Post
    you cant spy on the bad guy if he KNOWS how and what you are spying... so, if you ppl dont want to be able to spy on the bad guy, go ahead and make all of our spys tell the public how and what they are spying and PAY them to do a job that CANT BE DONE anymore... freaking idiots...
    But imagine this scenario,

If the government records everything, how are the terrorists supposed to communicate without being recorded?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    But imagine this scenario,

If the government records everything, how are the terrorists supposed to communicate without being recorded?
    Then when you ID one bad guy, you go back and see who he was talking to.