Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torture View Post
    My objective isn't promotion, my objective is to get better at the game.
    Love your attitude friend. You're already half way there. No joking here, this is the best attitude to have if you want to improve. Stop caring about winning/losing games and focus on your own mistakes, and on how to improve those mistakes so you won't repeat them.

Get LoLReplay and look through your matches -- wins as well as losses, type down your mistakesn in a document or on a pad, remember them and work on not making those mistakes again. Focus on one big problem at a time, and focus on either laning or jungling, take it one at a time. I don't know your goals, if you want to get in a team and play competetively or just be high ranked in soloqueue, but focus on one role at a time. Find out which you want to be best at if you want to get in a team; or just work on your overall mechanics and decision-making if you just want to be high-ranked soloqueue.

Mechanics are important in this game, work on them. Decision-making even more so, every time you make a doo-doo, write it down and write down what you should've/could've done instead. Work on not doing it again in future games. Take one mistake/problem at a time and you'll eventually get there.

Soloqueue becomes fun when you stop caring about winning or losing, and focus on your own gameplay and improvements.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    yi is a gimmick right now, that isnt sound advice at all dude

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsmith06 View Post
    yi is a gimmick right now, that isnt sound advice at all dude
    Telling him to play fotm-champs in order to advance isn't solid advice in any way fathomable.

Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    I offer him several strong advices and he calls them gimmicks...
    No, you're just being a douche.

Play a lot and get experience. Spot your mistakes and learn from them. That's really it.

I offer him several strong advices and he calls them gimmicks...
    You gave him one advice. Not several. You told him to play Master Yi. Given his current League, it is a great advice, if his goal is to get free wins.
    However, as he stated in a reply to you, he wants to actually get better at the game. Picking some champion that most Bronze/Silver players don't know how to handle and facerolling your way to victory, won't make you a better player, so your advice was not good.

And he's right about it being a gimmick too... So the following post of yours was completely uncalled for:

No offence, but you're probably shit if you're playing in bronze 4, and saying you don't care about promotion is saying you don't care about winning, and hence that you'd rather have 20-1 score and lose than 6-6-12 and help the team win and that comes across as selfish.

Also, if you think you'll learn anything from playing vs low bronze players, you're deeply mistaken. You'd probably get eaten alive in silver, let alone somewhere higher.
    In response to the last paragraph:
    He is in low Bronze, which means he can learn a lot from playing versus other low Bronze players.
    If he was in Gold 3 or something, he probably wouldn't learn anything from playing against low Bronze players. But that isn't the case.

Also, since you seemingly think that saying "no offense" before saying something offensive, makes is non-offensive, allow me to say this:
    No offense, but you're incredibly stupid and you know nothing about the topic at hand. Stop posting about it, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    clearly wins=skill in game and improvement

as a side i believe the silver vs plat games still exist right? ive never been to one myself but have heard nothing but good things about them

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsmith06 View Post
    clearly wins=skill in game and improvement

as a side i believe the silver vs plat games still exist right? ive never been to one myself but have heard nothing but good things about them
    I play games there pretty regularly (on eu-west!) so if you want you can find me

Silver v Plat is pretty funny when the Plat's don't go try hard on you. I've yet to get any advice since I've always been teamed up in lane against some show off.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    na servers siv </3 we can never be together

10+ Year Old Account
    So I noticed a few important points skipped over, and while they probably seem obvious to most people and you probably already know them I'll mention it anyway.

First, make sure you are playing with an unlocked camera. Sounds silly that I have to mention it, but trust me, some people actually still use it. If you need to center on your champ for any reason jump hold down spacebar.

Second point is use smartcasts. Smartcasting allows you to react much faster to what's going on, allowing you to secure a kill or escape a gank. This applies to Champ spells, summoner spells, and items.

Now for more general tips. A lot of people have been stressing CSing, which is definitely something you should be good at, but I think being able to effectively trade in lane is much more important. You can be the best at CSing in the world, but if you don't know how to harass and make favorable trades you will probably be bullied out of lane or the enemy gets to essentially free farm as well (which can be incredibly dangerous based on the champion).

Next, try the platinum vs silver games Siv and bobsmith mentioned. One of the things that helped me improve the most over last season is playing against players who are clearly more skilled than me. I am fortunate enough to go to a college that runs it's own LoL tournaments and we have players from Bronze 5 to Diamond 2. Now for me the Bronze players aren't important, but the Gold+ ones I had the most fun not only playing against, but playing with as well. They were much better at making smart decisions than I was at the time, so it helped me learn and get better by following their lead. Also, when I made a mistake they were more likely to punish me for it, while in your average solo queue game I could make 10 of them and still win.

Third, while I know you said you don't want to use gimmicks to go up the ladder, I do suggest abusing the more powerful champions to pull your MMR up a bit so games are more of a challenge. Bronze to low Silver can be a bit of a free for all at times, and while you might actually be good enough to play at a higher level, you need a champ that is guaranteed to pull you out so you can play in those higher skilled games. A big one you might see people talk about here is Jarvan IV top lane. He is incredibly strong right now, pretty fun to play, and he's not a no skill pubstomper like Yi, you actually have to know what your doing to abuse him (mostly because of his ult). I say this because it's a position where I'm in myself in Silver 3. I know I can compete at a higher level, but I need to be able to carry most of my games to get there.

And lastly, play what you enjoy. If you aren't having fun, you most likely wont improve as much as you could. I don't always play the standard picks because I don't find some of them fun to play. I'm more likely to win playing LeBlanc or Talon because I enjoy them and I know all their little tricks, than I am playing Ryze or Jayce simply because they are really strong right now. Some of my favorite junglers are completely out there (Ezreal, Heimer, Zyra) but when I play them I can find ways to make it work not only because its unexpected, but because I'm good at it (but don't play Heimer, he's bad). Obviously you also have to know when to make the crazy things work, like no jungle Ez with a team that has no tank, but if you enjoy it and your good at it, there are always ways to turn the game into a win.

EDIT: And since I forgot before this, if you want any help in game I would be glad to see what I can do. If your on NA it's easy since that's my main server, but I do have a level 10 smurf on EUW I can use. We could jump into a custom, bot game, or even a normal (though you'll probably stomp the other low levels) for practice. othgan on NA and Axethor on EUW.
    Last edited by Axethor; 2013-08-11 at 08:05 PM.

Deleted
    Record your games and review them. You'll see so many mistakes. Look for things that you do wrong and the next time you play focus on doing it right. It helped me getting rid of a lot of bad habits (face checking brush, using abilities instead of autoattacks to last hit because of laziness etc., placing wards sloppy, bad positioning, etc.).

Thanks everyone for the advice, appreciated

I had something of an epiphany over the weekend. I really rather enjoy playing support.

This has 2 really notable benefits;

1. It's not often contested giving me the chance to practice with some consistency
    2. It allows me to get solid ward coverage (which seems to be a big problem in bronze)

Now, I appreciate it's not teaching me 'all' the mechanics of the game, but with consistency I'm starting to get a lot more awareness of how the overall 'shape' of the game works. i.e keeping track of objectives, watching everyone's movement, getting a solid overview for what everyone is doing

But is this just going to create the very problem I was initially concerned about, that I'll get better at one thing rather than the game as a whole? With all the subtle nuances of support I'm learning, I'm wondering just how long it takes people to get that sort of awareness for all roles. I'm unsure I have that much time in the day!!

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

10+ Year Old Account
    Support and jungle will teach you pretty much everything you need to know in the game because it pretty much forces you to. Warding, map awareness, and for some supports even initiation/counter-initiation are all important and apply to most roles. The only things your missing are positioning on an AP or AD Carry and last hitting, but those are fairly easy to pick up on.

Deleted
    How to get better? i tell you mate.

1. You gotta stay positive. DONT flame, or go into A game when you're frustrated, or angry, you will lose, and thats almost for sure.

2. Dont give a shit about your teammates mistakes, just concentrate about urself. Look at UR mistake and learn from them.

Thats pretty much that, and please stay positive and its GG. Im Plat lll. I was stucked in silver way to long time, and i did these 2 things, they helped me ALOT.

Deleted
    First things first

Kills is not = Win
    Don't focus on getting the most kills possible and be super strong, you should focus on playing as a team and help them..
    Gank their lanes, ward some places (no matter what lane you are)
    And get cs
    You just need to play, play and play and try to improve on playing well with others as well trying to spot your mistakes and try to improve of them

You can use some guides for item building but i would say it's best no to do it, because there's a lot of different builds against different situations

Deleted
    I'm pretty much the same as you. I started playing SC2 with no RTS experience then moved into LoL recently with no MOBA experience. I've watched countless videos on how to improve and I can only agree that this game needs a Day9. However, what I have found watching all those videos, is simply to find a champion you really like, stick to them and then become a beast with them. 'Champion Mastery' as some people call it. In low elo, it seems like you can carry with anyone as long as your good enough with them. Things like counters don't really factor into the game until you are higher elo, by playing the same champ enough, you can judge how much damage you do and how much damage you can take, along with what champions to avoid a 1v1 with.

I would also agree with Axethor that playing Jungle or Support is the way to go. By not having to rely on CS and being harassed as much you can just constantly keep an eye on the mini map to see where the opposing team are. In fact when Jungling I prob spend more time watching the minimap and other lanes than i do watching my own champion run across the map.

Another thing is, sometimes you do just get hit with shit teams and there is next to nothing you can do. The only saving grace I have had with shit teams, in order to carry them out of a terrible laning phase, is to play a champion with incredible team fighting skills. By going someone who can initiate and deal a tonne of damage, you take out that factor of waiting for someone to engage before some scrub gets caught by a Blitz grab etc. Then as you have taken a chunk off a majority of the teams health, you team can come in and clean up.

In all honesty I'm not a high ranked player like some people here, but I feel like I am in the same boat as you so can offer advice on how I found to improve my game.

Here's how I'm getting on when focusing on one champ -