Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

And just when you thought the NSA spying couldn't get ANY worse...

We find out that the DEA has been using information that Obama spent the last few months assuring us would not be used to prosecute non-terrorist Americans... to prosecute non-terrorist Americans.

What's more, the agents have been coached on how to conceal the source of the information they got so that no one outside of the highest echelons of the executive branch know where the information came from. They're essentially doing what money launderers do... except they're putting people in jail with it.

I shouldn't be surprised... but I am.

Off I go... to write another letter to my congressmen.

Deleted
    pointless to write any letters to anyone, they do what they wanna do and you elect them.... not that it would be different if you elected someone else

It's the GOP's fault.

I mean, Obama can't do anything because of congress, no, actually, I mean, you're a racist, no one is perfect, Obama is doing the best he can!

in before the "if you have nothing to hide" crowd shows up
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

SO criminals went to jail, don't see anything wrong with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from making history's best attempt at creating a live reenactment of Fahrenheit 451, they're also moving most of the NSA's server administration over to automated control.
    http://www.dailytech.com/NSA+to+Axe+...ticle33145.htm

It's not quite Skynet, but that certainly won't stop me from calling it that.

Today, the SOD offers at least three services to federal, state and local law enforcement agents: coordinating international investigations such as the Bout case; distributing tips from overseas NSA intercepts, informants, foreign law enforcement partners and domestic wiretaps; and circulating tips from a massive database known as DICE.

The DICE database contains about 1 billion records, the senior DEA officials said. The majority of the records consist of phone log and Internet data gathered legally by the DEA through subpoenas, arrests and search warrants nationwide. Records are kept for about a year and then purged, the DEA officials said.
    Wiretap tips forwarded by the SOD usually come from foreign governments, U.S. intelligence agencies or court-authorized domestic phone recordings. Because warrantless eavesdropping on Americans is illegal, tips from intelligence agencies are generally not forwarded to the SOD until a caller's citizenship can be verified, according to one senior law enforcement official and one former U.S. military intelligence analyst.
    So...you're upset that they won't tell you where the initial tip came from (from which they go back and build a case) or that they're receiving tips in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Aside from making history's best attempt at creating a live reenactment of Fahrenheit 451...
    Gotta say, I find it hilarious that everyone knows Fahrenheit 451 is about a world in which books are banned and burned, but nobody who hasn't read the book even remotely understands why.

Waiting for more pro anti-privacy apologists to enter thread.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    I'm usually part of that crowd, but I draw the line at the internet. The internet is our last bastion of lawlessness. It's the only place you can go where rules do not apply. If we start policing the internet, where else is there to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Naftc View Post
    SO criminals went to jail, don't see anything wrong with that.
    without the ability to learn the source of the damning evidence. This prevents them from being able to find any evidence of their innocence from the same or related sources. Basically, it keeps them from being able to mount a defense against ghosts.

So, they might not be real criminals. We just have to take the prosecution's word for it.

I'm usually part of that crowd, but I draw the line at the internet. The internet is our last bastion of lawlessness. It's the only place you can go where rules do not apply. If we start policing the internet, where else is there to go?
    Hand-written messages you give out personally.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Gotta say, I find it hilarious that everyone knows Fahrenheit 451 is about a world in which books are banned and burned, but nobody who hasn't read the book even remotely understands why.
    Well, my interpretation was that the government was attempting to control the information that people were consuming. They wanted to protect the country from "dangerous knowledge".

Do you disagree?

Also, I could be wrong, but I'm about 99% sure I've read that book.

Well, my interpretation was that the government was attempting to control the information that people were consuming. They wanted to protect the country from "dangerous knowledge".

Do you disagree?
    That is Orwellian, not Fahrenheit stuff.

considering that it is a vehicle for communication, it makes a lot more sense than warrantless searches of physical property. not that i advocate privacy violations in either case
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    So...you're upset that they won't tell you where the initial tip came from (from which they go back and build a case) or that they're receiving tips in the first place?
    The tips are from SOD. SOD generates the tips via NSA wiretaps.

Do you really not see the problem here?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    That is Orwellian, not Fahrenheit stuff.
    I think the whole point of the book is summed up by Montag's conversation with Captain Beatty. It's been a very long time since I've read it, but it was Beatty basically telling Montag that books were dangerous because the ideas could hurt people. They could offend them, anger them, or provoke them to violence. So the books had to be burned.

We're currently in something which vaguely resembles a digital-age version of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    This doesn't surprise me at all. What does surprise me is that people are surprised about it. I think it's wrong, but they've been doing it for many many years and nobody said a word.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    Sounds the trumpets, here comes my chariot

Fear not citizen, I have arrived.

A country relies on stability and security by guarding itself from the outside and inside. I'd rather the government knows what I had for breakfast than to not know where a mass-murdering terrorist could potentially be hiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    The tips are from SOD. SOD generates the tips via NSA wiretaps.

Do you really not see the problem here?
    They said in that very article that the NSA isn't their only source of information...

And that's not even what the defense lawyers are concerned about.