Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Tier 16 Hunter, Flex Difficulty Feedback, Blue Tweets, Setup of the Month, News Recap

D3 Available on Day 1 on PSN, Blue Posts, Imperius Fan Art (+ Video), Curse Weekly Roundup

Fireside Chat Episode 8 VoD, Weekly News Recap, The Burdens of Shaohao - Parts 4 & 5

Patch 5.4 - Tier 16 Hunter Armor Set
    Keep in mind that this is just a preview and the final set may be different!

Flex Difficulty Feedback
    Flex difficulty needs more testing and feedback, so be sure to give it a try if you have time this weekend!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Many thanks for the excellent feedback thus far.

On Malkorok in particular, a bit more breathing room between the final Implosions and Breath wouldn't hurt (on Normal as well), and Blood Rage is actually doing more damage than it should be for our current Flexible tuning (a bug).

As for Flexible mode in general, we'll be reducing the overall difficulty relative to Normal across the board for our next PTR test. It's also quite possible (likely, even) that specific mechanics are overtuned on Normal as well, which will of course translate to excessive difficulty on Flexible as well -- we don't consider our Normal mode tuning final yet by any means.

I'd like to briefly clarify Flexible mode's target audience and what that means regarding how we tune the content: Flexible mode is primarily for roughly the audience served by 10-player Normal raiding in Wrath of the Lich King (10 Normal used to be a tier lower than 25 Normal). Not every guild that raids is a raiding guild, if that makes sense. I'd say that Flexible mode is for social groups that raid; Normal mode is for raiding guilds (and Heroic is for hardcore raiding guilds). That distinction consists of factors such as whether or not the group will ever recruit based on class needs, or remove someone based on performance (or even openly criticize them).

But a friends-and-family group is far from a ragtag pickup group. We're assuming that you have a leader running the show, are communicating, and are willing and able to coordinate a strategy and execute individual mechanics. Also, unlike Looking For Raid, which has a relatively flat difficulty level and which is designed to be successfully completed by all appropriately-geared players, Flexible mode entails progression. You'll learn and farm earlier fights to work your way up towards the more demanding ones deeper in the zone. A boss like Malkorok is Boss 9 of 14, and is generally designed as such. I'd compare him to bosses like Rotface or Festergut in Icecrown Citadel. Those certainly saw plenty of PUG action later in the 3.3 patch cycle, when the zone-wide Icecrown buff had ramped up a bit and the strategies were widely-known.

Now, will players form PUGs for Flexible Siege of Orgrimmar? Absolutely -- and we're excited at the prospect. But that's an organic process that will evolve over time, if we get the tuning right. I don't recall very many Trade chat PUGs waltzing into Icecrown Citadel in January 2010 and killing Festergut.

Blue Tweets
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Legendary Cloak
    In vanilla and every expansion before MoP we had legendary weapons to anticipate. Why isnt there any in MoP?
    Weren't happy with the entitlement feel of DWrath and Fangs. If we do leg weapons again, we'd likely make them much rarer. (Source)
    Either forget legendaries, or accept that people want OP items, and OP for some means unbalance so make it easy..
    Legendary weapons are kind of OP by their nature. That's fine. Last few we just made it so every potential user could get. (Source)

I am thoroughly disappointed with the legendary being a cloak. All of this work throughout the xpac and we don't use it again.
    What do you mean by "don't use it again?" (Source)
    it disapp. me that now there's a leg. for everyone and it's a cloak thats shaped like a towel and clips models. Why no weapon?
    We feel like we've done that a lot before. We want to keep things fresh. When rewards are too predictable they get boring. (Source)
    Precedent is the problem. Ppl expected awesome weapons. Disappointed by dish towels (however awesome they may be)
    Imagine the problems with this sentence: "I can easily predict what WoW will do next based on precedence." (Source)

Also is the proc. from the Tanking Cloaks working while in a DPS spec ?
    No, you'll have to be a legit tank to benefit from the tank proc. (Source)

Why gate the new world boss using the legendary cape? Seems arbitrary and bad for alts.
    I still struggle to understand wanting lots of alts but not having to play them as much as a main. Isn't that the point of an alt? (Source)

Reforging
    And yet you think about changing reforging or even removing it.
    My experience is that most players just use an add on or website to tell them how to reforge. (Source)
    It probably works the best for healers, since sufficient regen is a feel thing, not something you can dictate. (Source)

I do like reforging to make poor items (haste trink for fury war) easier to swallow. I don’t like it for hit/exp though.
    Yeah, the cascades where getting one new item causes you to reforge all are the worst. (Source)
    Do you think it's more of a hit/exp-as-a-capped-stat issue then?
    Certainly part of it, but we also don't like all the work that has to go into a drop before it's ready to wear. (Source)
    Aren't enchants and gems and valor upgrades (and maybe transmog) enough? (Source)

Characters / Items
    how do you feel having Pandaren shared between both factions has worked out? Would you do the same if new races were added?
    Not a fan of it overall. We just didn't want to deny anyone Pandaren. (Source)

Was creating a humam char yday, all faces look awful! Compared with mop/cata races... new models can't get here fast enough.
    Yep. Pretty much. (Source)

Can you please explain to me why the tier sets for tier 16 look so bland and tasteless? & why season 14 rogue looks like plate
    Response to tier art is so ridiculously subjective that I long ago gave up trying to understand player reaction to it. (Source)
    The advice I gave before is provide feedback on the kind of designs you'd like to see for future tiers and not just shout BAD. (Source)

Is the current Challenge Mode gear still going to be attainable next exp, or will it go away for good??
    Current plan is you can still try to obtain it since it scales your gear. Not 100% sure though. (Source)

Random question, Do you think you'll ever have (8) set bonuses again?
    I think it's unlikely in PvE. I'm not a fan of players ignoring all pieces except tier sets. Makes loot less interesting. (Source)

What is your opinion on the fact that when everyone can get 'Epics' the term 'Epic' is cheapened.
    I feel like some of that is just standard mudflation. Would earning your way from blues to epics feel the same after 9 years? (Source)

of course they can be, but blizz prefers to ignore the storage space issue. Be lucky to see a fix even next xpac.
    We aren't ignoring it. We just don't believe near infinite storage is necessary. We don't like e.g. 100 slot bags. (Source)

PTR notes: RPPM proc rates for items that proc haste, wont benefit from haste to proc more?? huh?
    The interaction of RPPM with haste made those mechanics more powerful than intended. (Source)
    We had cases where RPPM trinkets were a 10%+ damage increase and situations where no non-RPPM trinket would ever compete. (Source)

Any chance of Void Storage ever having the deposit cost removed? That's why I never use it. Withdraw makes more sense.
    Transmog was originally conceived as a way to wear older tier sets. It has grown into much more though. (Source)
    Given that, we don't think the current UI necessarily supports the feature as well as it could. (Source)

Computers - Setup of the Month (by chaud)
    Each month or every 2 months, depending on the hardware evolutions, the lovely chaud will work on a couple of hardware setups for those of you who are thinking of upgrading their computer!

This month
    The current SSD prices are stable, with most SSDs under $1 per gigabyte when on sale.

The new Haswell CPUs from Intel are here and they run a little bit on the warmer side. Depending on how much you want to overclock, you may need to spend a bit more for a better CPU cooler like the NH-D14 or H90.

Unless you are doing a lot of video rendering or something that is similarly multithreaded, you do not need the 4770K and should spend that money elsewhere.

Make sure to keep your AMD and Nvidia drivers up to date.

Don't hesitate to post any feedback in the comments of that news post, and don't forget to visit the Computer Forum for any extra questions! If you are interested in Folding@home, take a look in our team's thread.

Peripherals/Monitors
    ComponentPuppy Dolphin
    MonitorAsus VS229H-P 21.5" LED IPS Monitor - $135ASUS VS248H-P 24-Inch Monitor - $170
    KeyboardKensington Pro Fit Media Keyboard - $18Cyborg V.5 - $47
    MouseLogitech G400 - $47Razer Deathadder - $50
    SpeakersCreative A220 2.1 Speaker System - $26Logitech Z313 Speaker System - $36
    ComponentNarwhal Unicorn
    MonitorASUS VE278Q 27-Inch - $260HP ZR2440W 24-inch - $370
    KeyboardLogitech G510 - $90Razer BlackWidow (Backlit)- $60 ($121)
    MouseLogitech G500 - $45Razer Naga (Buttons on the Side) - $70
    SpeakersLogitech Z323 2.1 Speaker System - $59Logitech Speaker System Z523 - $70

Puppy and Dolphin
    ComponentPuppy Dolphin
    CaseNZXT Source 210 - $40NZXT Source 210 - $40
    Power SupplyCorsair CX500 - $50XFX Core Edition PRO 550W - $50
    CPUAMD FX-6300 - $125AMD FX-8320 - $145
    HeatsinkCooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - $28Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - $33
    MotherboardASUS M5A97 R2.0 - $100ASUS M5A99FX PRO - $120
    MemoryKingston HyperX Blu 4GB 1333 - $358GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 - $70
    Graphics CardXFX 7770 - $97ASUS 7870 2 GB or ASUS GTX 660 Ti - $200 / $199
    Hard DriveWestern Digital Caviar Blue 500GB - $55Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB - $85
    DVDAsus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $22Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $22
    Total$552$765

Narwhal and Unicorn
    All of these parts can be mixed and matched to create a build between Narwhal and Unicorn. SSDs are always optional.
    ComponentNarwhal Unicorn
    CaseCooler Master HAF 912 - $50Corsair Air 540 (Special Layout) - $140
    Power SupplyCorsair 650TX V2 - $90Corsair 750HX - $110
    CPUIntel i5-4670K - $219Intel i7-4770K - $330
    HeatsinkThermaltake Frio - $57Noctua 6 NH-D14 - $77
    MotherboardASUS Z87-A - $112ASUS Z87-PLUS - $165
    Memory8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 - $7016GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 - $137
    Graphics CardMSI 7950 OR MSI N760 TF - $240 / $260MSI 7970 OR Gigabyte GTX 770 - $350 / $400
    Hard DriveWestern Digital 1TB Caviar Black - $85Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black - $85
    SSDSAMSUNG 840 128GB (Review) - $98
    OR
    Plextor 128 GB M5 Pro (Review) - $120
    Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB (Review) - $125
    OR
    SAMSUNG 840 Pro 128GB (Review) - $130
    DVDAsus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $22Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW - $22
    Total$1043 - $1085$1492 - $1574

Weekly News Recap
    Another busy week full of news, so here is your chance to catch up!

Last edited by chaud; 2013-08-11 at 09:16 PM.

Hunter set looks like a Steampunk Titan Portal 2 Turret.

ima firin mah lazer

Someone pissed In the blue posters cereal

10+ Year Old Account
    It does look like one. And i just think of a great weapon for it:
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=29949#.

Also:
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=27794#.
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=27898

Hunter is so cool tbh Happy with the new tier !

Wow, some of these blue posts are fucking old. That one about mega-gems and bonus sockets alone is from a month ago and is no longer even relevant. They've said what they've decided about both, yes on the meta gem, no on the bonus socket.

the legendarys should have remained a rare thing that only a few got, not something that was someone's turn to get(knew too many bad mages who couldn't get staff, but made rogues and got daggers), nor something that everyone can work towards(though they should do more with stuff like that).

Horrible hunter set.....wtf are they smoking.

Is there some reason why we're getting blue tweets from over a month ago?

Also legendaries need to be changed. Switching mains to fill a need in a progression guild is almost suicide due to how much impact the meta and cloak account for unless you devoted 5 days a week to keeping up with alts either via LFR or alt runs. To be quite honest they should just be scrapped entirely because it's just one more thing they fail to balance encounters around.
    Last edited by Kazuchika; 2013-08-11 at 09:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kektonic View Post
    Is there some reason why we're getting blue tweets from over a month ago?

Also legendaries need to be changed. Switching mains to fill a need in a progression guild is almost suicide due to how much impact the meta and cloak account for unless you devoted 5 days a week to keeping up with alts either via LFR or alt runs. To be quite honest they should just be scrapped entirely because it's just one more thing they fail to balance encounters around.
    You are aware that all raid tiers have dropped cloaks of varying natures, correct? The legendary isn't the "only" cloak available, nor is it something you'd be able to otherwise get the FIRST day patch 5.3 rolls out.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by gdr441 View Post
    Horrible hunter set.....wtf are they smoking.
    I hope you're kidding...

I kinda feel like tier-sets art direction is getting all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    You are aware that all raid tiers have dropped cloaks of varying natures, correct? The legendary isn't the "only" cloak available, nor is it something you'd be able to otherwise get the FIRST day patch 5.3 rolls out.
    When those cloaks even sniff the stats of the legendary cloak feel free to let me know.

Deleted
    Agree with Atlon, not a fan!

Deleted
    Hunters are now lighthouses.

10+ Year Old Account
    The set is ugly, but that laser effect is cool xD

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What the fuck is with the hunter set LOL that's just terrible ( I M O )

Hunter set is ghastly. Nothing, absolutely nothing, about it says "Hunter". You know a Druid set when you see it, you know a Pally set when you see it. But this, one would never guess Hunter set.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfròst View Post
    Hunter set is ghastly. Nothing, absolutely nothing, about it says "Hunter". You know a Druid set when you see it, you know a Pally set when you see it. But this, one would never guess Hunter set.
    The scales and laser pointers didn't reveal this as a Hunter set to you?