Prot pally PoV Ra-Den Questions

Hey all

Well recently my guild killed Lei Shen 10hc (yay!)
    Now we're onto Ra-Den, we have 26 attempts remaining in this lock out.

Now i do have the option to change from prot pally to monk, however my pally is 538ilvl and is my main, i solo and stuff on it so i like to think i know it very well, my monk is like 490-500ilvl i heard people say they used 520ilvl monk and it was faceroll etc.. But yeah i feel mines a little well... undergeared xD.

Tank:
    Prot pally - me

Healers:
    MW monk
    Disc priest

DPS
    Destro lock (i think)
    Assasin rogue
    BM hunter
    Arcane Mage
    Ele Shammy
    Fury war (tanks OS - not amazing)

Anyway we did 4 pulls, first pull was a fast wipe, same with second.
    3rd and 4th pulls were basically wipes cause of either, Orb hitting boss or people not knowing rotation order...

I feel this boss is quite easy if executed right heres our idea of executing it

Kill Anima -> Aura mastery
    Next time we reset/Absorb Vita -> Banner/Rally
    Next time -> Barrier
    P2
    we're just gonna lust and nuke boss, ignoring orbs here.

My questions are...
    Should we really be using raid cds on the explosions in P1? Like barrier would be better in P2 i.m.o?

As a prot pally the fatal strike worries me, i timed it right but it drops me low, ofc it will not kill me, but i wasn't tanking the add when i did this, we tried having a dps tank the add (warrior). However apprently the warrior can't do it so when we go back i'll be solo tanking boss + add.i'm running 644k unbuffed life, + i use str flask.

As a prot pally when do people Shield of the righteous? i know he does fatal strike at 100 energy/whatever it's called, but is it safe for example to hit shield at 90? or is the 3 second duration to low to hit it at 90.

Other than that i guess i'm basically just looking for tips or feedback on how they did it as a pally tank. I was using Battle healer glyph to help healers + lights hammer too.

10+ Year Old Account
    We just killed it this week by accident. We three healed it and lusted in the first phase. They actually let an orb hit when it wasn't supposed to. Full if mistakes and still killed it...

As a prot pally the fight can be scary yeah. I personally bank five. When dbm accounted it I sotr, cs, and then sotr again. Negates the worry on it. Other than that it's pretty simple. I ran with two Stam trinkets to make sure the add didn't snipe me though

I've done Ra-den as both disc priest (main) and prot paladin (alt). Monk tanks are definitely easy mode for Ra-den but the ilevel gap is too large; just use your paladin as they are still ridiculously strong tanks - you just have to actually pay attention to fatal strike.

We use barrier + spirit shell on the first explosion; barrier will be back up for phase 2 and we found the first big aoe to be the most dangerous.

5 holy power -> shield at 90 energy -> hit HP generator -> shield again. He prioritizes summons over fatal strike which is annoying but won't kill you if you bank 5 holy power (or notice the timers lining up and delay shield).

Stun the add and knock it out of the raid before it dies and explodes.

Don't use a strength flask; it's a drop in the water compared to all the vengeance you'll be getting anyways. I used a stam flask and trinket the first week (as well as the tank meta) I did it on my paladin as I was pretty undergeared and scared of dying but since then it's been haste/armor elixirs and haste/exp trinkets.

I found T15 4 set bonus + divine purpose to be amazing although some people prefer to use holy avenger so they don't have to pay attention to all of the fatal strike timers.

I actually used Holy Prism instead of Light's Hammer because we didn't need the cooldown in p2; if you use it right after fatal strike it will immediately bring you out of the danger zone (as well as anyone else who happens to be low).

When you go to reset move him very slightly towards the red orb so that it hits first.

worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-3zny6jcc4wnto05g/details/1/?s=24&e=375 is the first kill with me tanking; was 529 ilevel at the time.

Deleted
    If you want to use DPS flask, then use elixirs instead. The haste elixir is ~ twice as much of a DPS increase at such Veng levels (+you can get the +armor guardian elixir), although it doesn't persist though death. But since it doesn't need Golden Lotus, it is also much cheaper.

I prefer HA for this one. It gives you 30s+ time of peace, which is rather valuable in this madness. DP ain't bad, but sometimes the proc felt really "wasted", as gaining 5HP between each Fatal was easy.

For glyphs:
    Battle Healer
    Divine Protection
    Alabaster Shield / Final Wrath
    seems solid, but you can skip DProtection.
    It is useful as most of the damage you will take will be physical.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah Raid CDs are defnitly needed.

best time to SoTr is abour 1 second after the Boss hits 90. allthough pay atention. his swing timer can reset (absorbing an orb i.e does this) so it is safer to double SoTR as often as possibel.

as a monk fatal strike doesn't matter but my guild needs me to tank as the HPS needed would have them use a 3rd healer and therefore the DPS wouldn't be enough anymore.

our DPS - DK tanked the add in blood presence without any problem.

here is the video of you latest farmkill from ym protpally PoV (it is a lot cleaner than our first kill ^^) daining us the the feat of strength.

(sry for german Teamspeak, but shouldn't matter.)

w w w . youtube . com/watch?v=iov0RFIoThw

10+ Year Old Account
    Have a look at our video - its my POV (prot pally):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilbMDEiOcQE

--

Dont switch to a 500 itemlevel Monk. He'll prolly get crushed by the damage Raden does. He melees quite high + Add Explosion can gib you.

It took me about 10 tries to get my rotation right / to get a feeling for the fight. So don't worry too much, just try to get your groove going.

There actually is a great WA macro (http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...33450&start=15) you can see in my video. It takes the edge off the timing a bit.

We used Spirit Shell for every explosion in P1 - along with a minor Raid CD (2x devo aura). Thats totally enough. You as a tank just need to use another big cd (I used div prot / goak / ad if I recall right)

My advice: Just focus on your tanking. Ignore all raidcalls and just focus on your CD management. If your dps is abit slow you can move the boss away from the wrong orb and then back again into position. Only thing you need to keep track of (you need to have calls for that) is the 4th / 7th transition where you need to move the boss abit. Other than that buckle down and do your thing. Have Hunter/Rogue tricks/md you the boss. With AoE skills you dont even have to switch from the boss to the add. Just let your raid do the important stuff (md the add, stun it when its near you). You should be fine tanking add + boss. But I advice using Stam Trinket + Flask/Food. Explosion + Fatal can gib you otherwise if you have too low hp (you can see that almost happening in my video, I misstimed my cd here).

Best SoTR timing is pool 5 HP, at 90% use SoTR back to back so you have 6 seconds. 6 seconds is enough everytime - didn't fail me once. If you get lucky with proccs you can even extrend to 9 secs total (6+3).

We started 3 healing the fight but we had DPS issues on the orbs (lots of melees). We switched to 2-healing it and dps on the orbs was fine.

The Boss died the first time we ever entered P2. Just tunnel and burn the boss, ignore all orbs. Use Bloodlust. When things get dicy start chaining your raid cooldowns and you should be fine.

You should take LH for this one. Lay the first one when you enter P2 and the 2nd one as soon as it comes off cd again. 300k Vengeance LH is just insane. I healed 7-8 Million HP with 2 LH total.

I also went with HA as it gives you a nice little safety net when you need to move the boss / explosions happen. There's alot going on already here so not having to worry about SoTR timing is golden. DP is stronger overall on this fight though.

Glyphs Battle Healer, Final Wrath, Alabaster Shield. I didn't use Focused Shield so I could cleave off the boss. You need DP for the insane magic damage spikes.
    Last edited by Riemu2k3; 2013-08-12 at 10:49 AM.
    RL, GM and DK Tank for Guild redacted, EU-Gorgonnash
    Chars: Blood DK / Prot Paladin

Battle Tag: Riemu#2789

People gave nice advices already, but here's one for the add; at many points of P1, there will be an Add up, an orb and and a fatal strike inc.

Make a macro to stun the add w/o targeting it, i think it goes like this:
    /tar xxxx
    /use xxxx
    /targetlasttarget

u'll want to stun add when he reaches 80~90% or even before if u feel u're taking a lot of dmg, of course u'll use Divine protection (40% magic, not glyphed) whenever u're tanking boss + add.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacklion View Post
    People gave nice advices already, but here's one for the add; at many points of P1, there will be an Add up, an orb and and a fatal strike inc.

Make a macro to stun the add w/o targeting it, i think it goes like this:
    /tar xxxx
    /use xxxx
    /targetlasttarget

u'll want to stun add when he reaches 80~90% or even before if u feel u're taking a lot of dmg, of course u'll use Divine protection (40% magic, not glyphed) whenever u're tanking boss + add.
    We had our Melees take care of this. Every Melee has a good stun - especially fury + rogue he is using. Takes the pressure off the tank.
    RL, GM and DK Tank for Guild redacted, EU-Gorgonnash
    Chars: Blood DK / Prot Paladin

Battle Tag: Riemu#2789

Thanks all for replies. Downed it on our 10th pull, 9 wipes due to orbs well kinda, 1 due to me dying randomly. Fatal strike shows in deathlog as bringing me to 69% but i died randomly after. Rest was fine... First time P2 = kill... We had people low during transistion = messy but was fine. I died sadly 1% before kill lol really didn't expect the dmg / no shield wall. Pretty easy boss but the pressure tanking it... xD

Stick with the paladin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TwentyTwelve View Post
    Thanks all for replies. Downed it on our 10th pull, 9 wipes due to orbs well kinda, 1 due to me dying randomly. Fatal strike shows in deathlog as bringing me to 69% but i died randomly after. Rest was fine... First time P2 = kill... We had people low during transistion = messy but was fine. I died sadly 1% before kill lol really didn't expect the dmg / no shield wall. Pretty easy boss but the pressure tanking it... xD
    I was on a break for a good part of this patch and came back rerolling from holy (had been holy for start of 5.2) and joined a guild a few weeks back. I had to heal it for the first 3 kills (then sat one week) before tanking this week. From healing it (was a guardian tanking) I felt like it was a rather intense fight. And sure on my first attempt as prot the only thing I really paid attention to was Fatal Strike, but already by the second attempt it was so much more relaxed than healing it, and quite frankly so much easier o.o

Fair point but u kinda already have a raid thats got the boss on farm, remember that lol.

The raid environment was all over the place tbh and the tanking pressure was literally just Fatal Strike - barely used to the mechanic but if a single mess up it's a wipe. Meh, i'm sure healing is overall harder, but i'd rather heal than tank ra-den tbh, a mis judge on a spell as holy isn't gonna cost us the attempt, which we have limited numbers off. Just my personal feeling.