Gamers Today and Mario 1

Was browsing around and was reading this article: http://www.p4rgaming.com/majority-of...er-mario-bros/

Not sure how reliable the site is (maybe someone could chime in more?). I was just reading it and if what it says is true then I just have to shake my head, but would explain why things seem easier now than before.

10+ Year Old Account
    " Nintendo conducted a test with many gamers and found that most of them were unable to finish the first level in the original Super Mario Bros."

I don't know, were they two years old? Super Mario Bros. overall is a very easy game. And a rather empty game, compared to games nowadays that offer things like unlockables, and hidden items.

"We watched the replay videos of how the gamers performed and saw that many did not understand simple concepts like bottomless pits. Around 70 percent died to the first Goomba. Another 50 percent died twice. Many thought the coins were enemies and tried to avoid them. Also, most of them did not use the run button."

Yeah, he's so full of shit it hurts. Either that or it's fake. I'm going with fake.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty cynical when it comes to gamers, but I refuse to believe the majority of gamers can't beat the first level in SMB. It's incredibly easy.

That's what I'm thinking too. I'd like to know what their test group consisted of, because I find it really hard for people to 1) Think coins are bad 2) die that easily, etc. Mario 1 I thought was really simplistic and most people can beat the first level without any thought as it doesn't take much effort. Only confusing thing might be that some don't know you have to jump on the flag pole at the end, but will figure it out shortly.

Second level I could see some people having issues, but their testing group seems off to me.

Reading the comments below some more it seems from "commentaries by developers" that they remove a lot because their playtesters can't handle it. So my question stands, who do they hire to test this things? People who will never touch a game in their life except if being paid by companies?
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2013-08-12 at 10:24 PM.

http://hothardware.com/News/Nintendo...er-Mario-Bros/

Update 7/10: It has been brought to our attention that the source reference site's report for this story was actually based on a satire, not based on facts. Rather than pulling the story down, we're alerting you to the fact that we were mislead (as were others). However, we will pose the question that seems to be driving a lot of debate: are games getting easier just for the sake of quick-fix game play?
    Relevant as the article is not serious.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe any of that for a second.
    I agree that games in general have gotten easier, but I highly -HIGHLY- doubt "90% of people couldn't finish the first level in Super Mario Bros."

I always love when someone falls for p4rgaming, it sort of shows the sad state of the gaming industry when obvious satire like that is taken at face value.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988