Marest's Sample Build: Gaming 1730

The hard drive for my 5 year old HP computer parted ways with me. I figured now would be the perfect time to replace everything. I browsed the sample builds, did some research, and turned out to really like the Gaming 1730 build. This will be my first time building and overclocking (very excited.) The only thing I changed from the original build is the ram and psu. Strangely, I couldn't find 2x4 ram (Vengeance LP 1600Mhz) and the psu I want (modular, good reviews) at 650 watts listed on pcpartpicker. The psu is the SeaSonic X650. My main questions are: Should I get the 16gb ram for "future-proofing?" Is 650 watts too much? I couldn't find a good, modular psu at 600 watts. Is there anything I should take into further consideration with this build? I would appreciate any help. Unfortunately, I can't post links yet. But it's just the 1730 build with 2x4 ram, SeaSonic X650, an optical drive, and Windows 8.

Budget
    ~$1800 before tax and shipping

Resolution
    1920x1080

Games / Settings Desired
    WoW, Diablo 3, Far Cry 3, Dragon Age series, Skyrim, and maybe ESO. High settings.

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    No.
    Country
    USA! USA! USA!
    Parts that can be reused
    Nope.
    Do you need an OS?
    I need Windows 8
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?
    I only need the computer and optical drive.
    Last edited by Holyballin; 2013-08-13 at 12:20 AM.

Pretty much same build, just did a few changes.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($135.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($53.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($164.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($438.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($71.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.90 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1379.79
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-12 20:48 EDT-0400)

Changed CPU cooler for a more performing one.
    Changed RAM to 8GB 16GB aren't really needed. By the time they're the standard we'll probably have DDR4 anyways.
    Changed to a cheaper motherboard. That one sure has nice features but I don't think they're worth the premium. (inbuilt wifi, slightly better sound, slightly better overclocking) Mostly up to you, but keep in mind Haswell is more thermal limited than power limited when it comes to overclocking.
    Changed the SSD to non-pro. The pro only has higher writing speeds which in everyday usage/gaming don't matter much.
    Changed the HDD to a caviar blue. Faster sequential read/write, longer access times. Works just as fine for a storage drive, the main difference between them is that the black has 5 years warranty instead of 2. Ultimately your choice.
    Changed the case to a cheaper one. While case is usually personal preference, the 300R will surely be a nice case and it's a lot cheaper.
    Changed the PSU. While 750 watt is overkill for this system, the 550w one is only 2 dollars less, while this one gives headroom to SLI in the future. Rosewill hive is fully modular and is great quality.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

10+ Year Old Account
    Above build will handle every game you mentioned at maxed.
    One thing I would change is 300r to windowed, I just think the case looks boring without it.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

That ram isn't available for that price on Newegg, Tigerdirect has it slightly higher. If I went with the 500r for aesthetics, would that mean I would have to use the Asus Z87 Plus for the additional fan connector? Stupid question, I know.

If you're using more than three fans you can either get Y splitters (one 3pin connector into two ones) or molex to 3pin adapters and hook them directly up on the PSU (kinda silly not to use Asus' 3pin fan control though). You can of course also change motherboard but that seems overkill.
    For RAM, just get a 2x4GB 1.5V DDR3-1600 one, I picked the one that cost the least.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

You have saved me a good bit of money. Thank you!!