Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    Didn't the FBI say that the favourite form of media for people who carry out the schools shottings actually been books? Maybe I am wrong on that but honestly I would not be surprise in that not making the headlines
    Well you do have to eventually ask why the kids who do these things always have certain entertainment choices in common. Very often their tastes in music, books, movies, and games are strikingly similar. Why are non-violent games, non-violent music, or non-violent movies never a common thread among them?

Deleted
    Bad parenting and child mental problems. Video games don't produce violence, it's the stupid children who cannot understand what they see, hear, play.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Well you do have to eventually ask why the kids who do these things always have certain entertainment choices in common. Very often their tastes in music, books, movies, and games are strikingly similar. Why are non-violent games, non-violent music, or non-violent movies never a common thread among them?
    Perhaps because they (violent stuff) are best at responding to their emotional side. They do not reach out for these violent entertainments for like a source, it's a cure for them to calm their inner rage. Violent stuff isn't the problem, the problem is their mental state. It's like blaming the clothes, food etc too for being a part of fault. Thought it sound stupid, doesn't it? Same thing with violent stuff.
    Last edited by mmocf002b94213; 2013-08-13 at 01:17 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xZANGEITIx View Post
    So I mean who really to blame for your " cold blooded killer " child the video game companys or the parents that cant say no to toddlers.
    Ehm, I think most violence from video games comes from people not being able to handle failure time upon time. So I do believe it's the parents fault for not taking steps when their child is cursing a lot and throwing things in a hissy fit.

I really don't think violence in video games is related to violence in real life, people can easily tell a fictional world from the real one. However, what they can't do is to overcome their own rage after being killed for the 100th time. Too much gaming might create psychos, but those same people would've become psychos under other circumstances as well. They should be told not to give in to rage from an early age.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Why would one vent their violent nature in non-violent media? Violent people are attracted to violent media because they can be violent in those mediums without doing actual harm. Non violent people like those games and movies, but don't become violent by playing them.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xZANGEITIx View Post
    I know that the hot topic of Video game violence is every-ware weather we involve it with good things or bad things. Usually bad. But I have been hearing allot about kids going crazy because they play video games. And parents are trying to blame the company's for making their kids into " cold blooded killers " well I don't really think its the video games company's fault. I think its the parent for letting them play that game. I mean every game has a rating and they should be read. I remember when I was younger halo 1 had just came out and my older brother would play that and he said I could only play it with moms permission. And she always told me no for reasons. ( I was 8 years old I didn't know how to handle the graphics cause they were new to me ) But know if you go onto any steam game or call of duty theirs some little kid spewing out racist remarks and saying im going to f****ing kill your family.

So I mean who really to blame for your " cold blooded killer " child the video game companys or the parents that cant say no to toddlers.
    Many computer games are loosly based on real life events, for instance, war games are generally based on world war two (for instance). WW2 was a bit violent, yet there were no computer games then. If anything, adults should blame themselves for the violence because they themselves took part in wars, which games are often based on, which kids play and then go out and be violent. But in reality the parents are to blame for their kids. If they've brought their kids up to be little shits, then they will be little shits, regardless of their hobbies.

The parents then blame other people, because they don't want to admit responsibility for their shitty ability as parents and use video games as scapegoats.

... Just like people use cars as a scapegoat for "global warming" (which doesn't exist).

10+ Year Old Account

I don't see any positive correleation between violent games and crimes.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Why would one vent their violent nature in non-violent media? Violent people are attracted to violent media because they can be violent in those mediums without doing actual harm. Non violent people like those games and movies, but don't become violent by playing them.
    It has more to do with that fact that most human can be violent. Violence is part of the human condition, anyone saying they never felt in such a state is either lying or way too young yet. We cant blame anyone for violence in video game, art are projection of ourselves. We like smashing, shooting and killing things, whos to blame for all the violence in movie, tv and books? Because all these medium reflect who and what we are, to deny our fighting spirit is to deny our identity. We are naturally given to like such a thing and yet avoid it for the most part because outside of fantasy its not as fun as we expect. It doesent remove that fact that most of us still have fantasy about conflict, its at the back of all of our mind. Its that way since we are even childs and its, dare i say, actually healthy to have fantasy about conflict, its better than causing real conflict that we also have the ability to.

Everyone can be violent and angry, most human simply are able to control it, thats why not everyone is a murdering psychopath.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2013-08-13 at 11:16 PM.

If someone is susceptible to those sorts of influences, then no single source in the media unless particularly excessive could be considered the cause.
    If it was not X game, it would be another. It could be a movie, it could be a book, it could be something they witnessed on the street.
    Video games are an easy scapegoat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    It has more to do with that fact that most human can be violent. Violence is part of the human condition, anyone saying they never felt in such a state is either lying or way too young yet. We cant blame anyone for violence in video game, art are projection of ourselves. We like smashing, shooting and killing things, whos to blame for all the violence in movie, tv and books? Because all these medium reflect who and what we are, to deny our fighting spirit is to deny our identity. We are naturally given to like such a thing and yet avoid it for the most part because outside of fantasy its not as fun as we expect. It doesent remove that fact that most of us still have fantasy about conflict, its at the back of all of our mind. Its that way since we are even childs and its dare i say actually healthy to have fantasy about conflict, its better than causing real conflict that we also have the ability to.

Everyone can be violent and angry, most human simply are able to control it, thats why not everyone is a murdering psychopath.
    When I say "violent" I refer to people who can't control it. Non-violent people can be violent, but usually control it. I mean sure, non-violent people like blowing stuff up in video games. No question about that. But those types of people keep it under control. Violent people however also like blowing stuff up, but the problem is, they often lack the ability to control themselves when feeling violent urges in reality.

I'm a non-violent guy, but I know I've, in the last few weeks, come up with a few creative ways to murder the asshole who stole my $600 Cannondale crossover bike. Thing is though, I'll never actually DO those things.
    Putin khuliyo

When I say "violent" I refer to people who can't control it. Non-violent people can be violent, but usually control it. I mean sure, non-violent people like blowing stuff up in video games. No question about that. But those types of people keep it under control. Violent people however also like blowing stuff up, but the problem is, they often lack the ability to control themselves when feeling violent urges in reality.

I'm a non-violent guy, but I know I've, in the last few weeks, come up with a few creative ways to murder the asshole who stole my $600 Cannondale crossover bike. Thing is though, I'll never actually DO those things.
    Well theres the answer of were video game violence came from, it came from people like us for people like us. Everyone else that knows it feels the need to express violence but is able to control it. We cant judge ourselves on the minority and blame art forms because the minority cannot control their own mental capabilities. We can all be violent and we have to let it out, but doing it under control is something that is as old as we existed. There is nothing that can be done about this, it would be like blaming many of the violent paintings we have as the cause of a murder. Weird every other human can feel the anger put into those painting, yet not commit a murder.

Every concievable point as already been made on this subject, no idea is original.

Yes parents for letting kids play, but if kids get pissed cus they want to play and start crying then wtf u supposed to do? my parents didnt want me playing video games, but honestly they didnt have a say in it, because I just played anyway. what they supposed to do, take the computer? they tried, I found it, take the internet? they tried, I found it.
    Do i sound like I was a cuntwreck shitball kid? probably to some, but fuck it i wanted to play computer games, and as far as im concerned i didnt turn out to be a murderer. little socially awkward maybe, but I think that came before the computer games, the computer games were just a means of escaping reality, as it is with most people.

- - - Updated - - -

they often lack the ability to control themselves when feeling violent urges in reality.
    Never met or seen a person matching that description in my life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    Never met or seen a person matching that description in my life.
    I'd hope not. That'd be people like Adam Lanza or the Virginia tech kid who, for whatever fucked up reason, decided it was alright to massacre people for no apparent reason.

That's extremely rare though, thank god (or FSM or whatever)
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Guinzil View Post
    Violence isn't caused by video games, it's in the nature of man.

That being said, don't let your <11 year old kid play online multiplayer games with a toxic fanbase, for he'll likely become a toxic player himself. That kind of behaviour is very contagious, especially among kids.
    In the nature of man? I don't think so.

If the social class gap was not as wide as it is there would be less crime. The less of a gap in wealth then the less crime we will have. But this just in we are not interested in fixing that or eliminating violence at all its great for us to just point fingers at what the causes are and they get to change laws and take away rights left and right more control for them less freedom for us!

10+ Year Old Account
    The answer is super obvious, the parents of course. People bashed on GTA games being super violent and turning young kids into violent people. I played GTA 3 when I was like 10 years old, I'm 22 now and I haven't murdered or even hurt a single person mentally or physically since. Shit, I have hard time killing pill bugs in my back yard. The people who blame the developers are people who are basically to lazy to parent their kids the right way or they are the kind of parents that keep their kid(s) locked up in the house with no outside communication.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

15+ Year Old Account
    The media consistently has an issue with correlation, and data sets - you basically have to suck at math to work for a major media outlet: if you passed grade 10 math you are barred from employment.

First off, let's talk about the double standard that whenever there is talk about violent behaviour stemming from video games, it is violent young males. Ignoring the violent part for a moment, what percent of young males, in the developed world, have played or own a violent video game? All of them, just about. This comparison alone is like suggesting that socks are the cause of violent behaviour - because all violent young males own socks: because all young males own socks.

If an old person does something violent, nobody is confused because they didn't own Call of Duty. If they did own Call of Duty, that is never mentioned either: it doesn't fit the narrative they want to portray.

There is very probably a high correlation however, between people who commit violent acts and their playing of violent games. Just the same way that these same violent people are likely to also own guns, or google how to make bombs - I don't think anyone is surprised by the possibility that someone who Wants to commit violence, will use games as murder simulators - to build up their tolerance or sate their thirst. That is a correlation however, not causation.

Manhunt doesn't turn people into psychopath serial killers, anymore than World of Warcraft turns me into a Night Elf Priestess of Elune. Psychopath would-be serial killers though are likely to buy Manhunt - because it is a topic of interest for them.

I didn't learn to snowboard by playing Coolboarders, I bought Coolboarders because I was into snowboarding. If everyone who bought Coolboarders could suddenly do Triple Backflip 1440 Tailgrab to Canadian Bacon's, Shawn White wouldn't qualify for the Olympics. In reality, millions of people bought Coolboarders - but Shawn White is a god because he can do half that IRL: after devoting his life to it.

They are selling a story, a false narrative - and they ignore all facts and reasoning to fit the world into their narrative.

Chemical neural imbalance is the primary cause of extremely violent behaviour. Therefore a lack of mental health diagnosis and care is the solution, and that means we collectively are to blame - for not setting a high enough bar for mental health check-ups.

Bad parenting might fail to teach children morals, it might lead to crime and potentially murder - but I wouldn't suggest it would lead to needless / irrational violence: that's a psychological issue.

So criminal violence - gangs, mafia, etc - could be poor parenting / rearing - but school and theatre shootings are a societal problem. We're all responsible for implementing a better solution - but the only person responsible for the act itself is the person who commits it.

Restricting gun laws is likely to stop crimes of passion and suicide - but is unlikely to stop a determined psychopath from a premeditated attack: the solution to which is mental health programs, IMO.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

I blame idiots, media, and bad parenting.

You have to be pretty unintelligent to really try and correlate gun violence directly to video game violence.

ive been playing mortal combat since i was 6. funny thing is i havent tried to rip anyones spine out yet. people murder people its been going on since the dawn off man. there are bad people on the planets its just that simple
    HAKUNA MATATA... IT MEANS NO WORRIES FOR THE REST OF YOUR DAYS

Deleted
    Simple, you blame the perpetrators for the violence and you blame parents if they allow their child to play games that are unsuitable for them without monitoring them or explaining the difference between games and reality.