Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

U.S. Military High Awards/Medals Question.

I don't know where I should post this but I frequent the forums and I see quite a few people post with Military related things. So maybe someone on the forums can answer this question for me. If I posted this in the wrong place or just shouldn't even post it at all please let me know mods.(Of course you will)

My question is, what are the highest military awards for combat/non-combat valor whatever it may be. With special interest in what Awards/Medals does the President solely have the right to bestow on people(Medal of Honor is one that I know, looking to see if there are any more).

If anyone has any info I would love to take in your knowledge. (Google hasn't been kind to me in my searches most of the wiki pages and such feel half-baked)

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was looking for more than one award. The top 5 maybe. (I already knew Medal of Honor was the the top of the totem pole I'm wondering what the next few heads below that are)

Military based non-civilian awards/medals.

I also was wondering what all awards that the President has the sole authority to bestow.

I'd look into this one.

Yes it's kinda an eye-full.

10+ Year Old Account
    Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
    For non-combat valor, the highest is this (or its other service equivalents): Soldier's Medal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMooCow View Post
    I was looking for more than one award. The top 5 maybe. (I already knew Medal of Honor was the the top of the totem pole I'm wondering what the next few heads below that are)

Military based non-civilian awards/medals.

I also was wondering what all awards that the President has the sole authority to bestow.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_...tates_military

Shows the military medal precedence.

EDIT: Bah, same link as Ruk lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    Is that like the Navy Cross for Marines/Sailors?

Then under that would be Silver Star then Bronze Star. Both can be awarded for combat valor or not, however if it is award combat valor you will get a little V to put on it to show that.
    The Navy/Marine version is the Navy & Marine Corps Medal. The Navy Cross is the equivalent of the Army's Distinguished Service Cross.

The Silver Star, and Bronze Star for that matter, are only awarded for combat. The Silver Star is specifically for "Gallantry in Action," so it doesn't get a "V" device. The Bronze Star can just be for meritorious service in a combat zone, so when it's awarded for Valor/Heroism, it's denoted with the "V" device.

Quote Originally Posted by DestroDoc View Post
    The Navy/Marine version is the Navy & Marine Corps Medal. The Navy Cross is the equivalent of the Army's Distinguished Service Cross.

The Silver Star, and Bronze Star for that matter, are only awarded for combat. The Silver Star is specifically for "Gallantry in Action," so it doesn't get a "V" device. The Bronze Star can just be for meritorious service in a combat zone, so when it's awarded for Valor/Heroism, it's denoted with the "V" device.
    While I was wrong about the silver star, the bronze star doesn't require combat. I know this because I knew a Captain that was award the Bronze Star for conducting 500 operations outside the wire. Outside the wire being him driving from BIAP to a coffee shop in Baghdad. Every time he went, he put it down as going outside the wire, and at the end of tour he was awarded a Bronze Star (without a V ofcourse).

And no, being in a "combat zone", sitting on a FOB is not "being in combat".
    Last edited by NoRest4Wicked; 2013-08-13 at 02:06 PM.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    That wiki page is in difficult sort of layout I don't fully understand which is higher and which is for what. Thanks for all the help guys. What about medals that only the pres can bestow?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    While I was wrong about the silver star, the bronze star doesn't require combat. I know this because a knew a Captain that was award the Bronze Star for conducting 500 operations outside the wire. Outside the wire being him driving from BIAP to a coffee shop in Baghdad. Every time he went, he put it down as going outside the wire, and at the end of tour he was awarded a Bronze Star.
    Yeah. You're correct there. It requires you to be in a combat zone, but not in actual combat. I've noted that senior enlisted personnel (E7-E9) and officers typically get these as an end of tour award. It's kinda shitty, but at least they're not tossed around with "V" devices.

I don't find it difficult to believe at all that some pog got a BSM for just driving back and forth from BIAP to the Green Zone.

None of the Military awards are awarded solely by POTUS. I don't know about the civilian equivalents.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love hearing ex-military people say pog. It is always in some sort of disgusted way but slightly comical at the same time. Like the POGs were your little special friends that you sort of hated. (coming from mainly Marines btw)

Okay so the Potus doesn't have sole rights to any medals, that would explain why google was doing me wrong. Okay how about medals that the pres had historically almost always given out. Other than Medal of Honor ofc.

I think this will be easier to explain if I elaborate on why I am asking. I'll type it up in another reply since I want to see what you guys have to say about this post while I type up my explanation story.

I love hearing ex-military people say pog. It is always in some sort of disgusted way but slightly comical at the same time. Like the POGs were your little special friends that you sort of hated. (coming from mainly Marines btw)

Okay so the Potus doesn't have sole rights to any medals, that would explain why google was doing me wrong. Okay how about medals that the pres had historically almost always given out. Other than Medal of Honor ofc.

I think this will be easier to explain if I elaborate on why I am asking. I'll type it up in another reply since I want to see what you guys have to say about this post while I type up my explanation story.
    You know, historically, the medal of honor was the only combat medal awarded. Hundreds were given out during the Civil War, because there was no alternative.

What's funny is for the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Locomotive_Chase there were soldiers who missed the train and wasn't even a part of the mission that were still awarded the MOH.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, POG, and Fobbits are some of my favorites (Background: Military Bases in combat areas are typically called FOB's, short for Forward Operating Base. Hobbits don't leave the shire, and Fobbits don't leave the wire). Don't get me wrong, the people in combat can't do what they're doing without those people. Its just funny that those are the guys who are buying all the high-speed gee-whiz stuff to put on their body armor, because it looks really cool.

The MoH, in recent history at least, has always been awarded by the President. He's not the sole authority, but he is generally the presenter. The other's have been awarded individually to service member's by POTUS, but it's more of a timing thing, rather than precedence. The Presidential Freedom Medal is always given to the recipient by POTUS, at least afaik.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Okay so I am of a non-military background so all info I have on what happens in the military and such comes from secondhand stories from my, I'd say quite a few ex-military/current military, friends. Well here recently I have been working with this Ex-Marine at my job. He was in service for 8 years. Did quite a few tours in iraq/afghan. He was wounded almost every time he deployed and eventually sometime during his 2nd enlistment they put him on whatever status that you cannot deploy under. Injured too much I suppose. So they wanted to swap him recruiting. This guy is pretty warped though so he couldn't really handle being in a non-combat military job so he dropped out after his 2nd 4years was up. He has tried to join back with I think the Air Force but whatever his history was for the Marines and I am guessing Psych eval failure(He is on some heavy shit to keep him from losing his shit amongst normal people I believe). So now he works with me. At an Aluminum factory. Lol.

Well the other day he mentioned that Blackwater had been seeking him out quite a lot and that he was thinking about joining. Well for Blackwater to seek you out I imagine you have to do something pretty unsavory or skillful (One of the two or both, I don't see BW as being a nice people kind of group). When I asked him about what he did that caught the eye of BW he said it was something that happened 5years ago when he was overseas. He won't share the story though, only bits a pieces sometimes but I get the feeling he doesn't like talking about it (I believe he lost quite a few friends when he did whatever it was that happened). My assumptions from the what little information I have milked from him is that his unit was just going along and shit hit the fan pretty bad IED and Ambush bad. I have the feeling not many of his unit survived if not only him. I believe this situation is what caught the eye of BW. I am thinking the fact that he walked away from whatever this shitfest was is what made them interested since that would show some skill(Perhaps).

He said to me that he received an award that not a whole lot of people receive. That the president gives out. For this act described above(Well more-so he hinted around at what happened it really seemed to bother him so I didn't press it). He may have actually received another medal/award for the same instance. Whatever it was he says the president gave him a medal and by getting this medal it attracted the attention of Blackwater.

I really have no reason for knowing other than the fact it bothers me that he won't tell me. He has given me plenty of hints and I feel that with all this information and the power of the internet I can figure out what medal he got and maybe find more information as to what happened from that. (If the info isn't locked up ya know).

Another thing is I take most Military stories with a grain of salt because a lot of ex-military tend to fish tale their stories pretty hard and well this friend of mine could just be full of shit. Help me out MMO-Champ forumers.

Deleted
    How about you just let your friend live his life and leave his personal life alone?

Deleted
    Okay so I am of a non-military background so all info I have on what happens in the military and such comes from secondhand stories from my, I'd say quite a few ex-military/current military, friends. Well here recently I have been working with this Ex-Marine at my job. He was in service for 8 years. Did quite a few tours in iraq/afghan. He was wounded almost every time he deployed and eventually sometime during his 2nd enlistment they put him on whatever status that you cannot deploy under. Injured too much I suppose. So they wanted to swap him recruiting. This guy is pretty warped though so he couldn't really handle being in a non-combat military job so he dropped out after his 2nd 4years was up. He has tried to join back with I think the Air Force but whatever his history was for the Marines and I am guessing Psych eval failure(He is on some heavy shit to keep him from losing his shit amongst normal people I believe). So now he works with me. At an Aluminum factory. Lol.

Well the other day he mentioned that Blackwater had been seeking him out quite a lot and that he was thinking about joining. Well for Blackwater to seek you out I imagine you have to do something pretty unsavory or skillful (One of the two or both, I don't see BW as being a nice people kind of group). When I asked him about what he did that caught the eye of BW he said it was something that happened 5years ago when he was overseas. He won't share the story though, only bits a pieces sometimes but I get the feeling he doesn't like talking about it (I believe he lost quite a few friends when he did whatever it was that happened). My assumptions from the what little information I have milked from him is that his unit was just going along and shit hit the fan pretty bad IED and Ambush bad. I have the feeling not many of his unit survived if not only him. I believe this situation is what caught the eye of BW. I am thinking the fact that he walked away from whatever this shitfest was is what made them interested since that would show some skill(Perhaps).

He said to me that he received an award that not a whole lot of people receive. That the president gives out. For this act described above(Well more-so he hinted around at what happened it really seemed to bother him so I didn't press it). He may have actually received another medal/award for the same instance. Whatever it was he says the president gave him a medal and by getting this medal it attracted the attention of Blackwater.

I really have no reason for knowing other than the fact it bothers me that he won't tell me. He has given me plenty of hints and I feel that with all this information and the power of the internet I can figure out what medal he got and maybe find more information as to what happened from that. (If the info isn't locked up ya know).

Another thing is I take most Military stories with a grain of salt because a lot of ex-military tend to fish tale their stories pretty hard and well this friend of mine could just be full of shit. Help me out MMO-Champ forumers.
    He is full of shit, PMC's will not seek you out, you apply to them and hope like hell you can get in. PMC's are flooded with applications from ex-military types, they are even rejecting SNCO's from combat arms.

Well, if he was implying he was awarded the MOH that would be pretty easy to confirm/deny. Not many of them are awarded to the living :P

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well. Captain Killjoy has arrived. He challenged me to find the information, as to why he gave me the hint about the medal.

If he wanted it left alone he wouldn't do that now would he?

Deleted
    Well. Captain Killjoy has arrived. He challenged me to find the information, as to why he gave me the hint about the medal.

If he wanted it left alone he wouldn't do that now would he?
    He will challenge you, then agree with whatever you find. If it was awarded by the president himself then it will be high profile and easy to confirm, if he will not tell you what it is then he is lying.

Have you tried googling his name (if you care this much) in hopes you can find his citation? You could also try the unit he was with at the time, if you know. Also, 5 years ago. That was what, 2008? There wasn't a whole lot of shit going on for Marines in Iraq past the Great Awakening in 2006. Even bases in areas around Fallujah and Ramadi quit getting mortared daily/weekly in 07/08 on. I was in Iraq in 08, and I don't remember something huge happening like that in Al Anbar province.
    Last edited by NoRest4Wicked; 2013-08-13 at 02:39 PM.