Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DestroDoc View Post
    Yeah, Blackwater and Triple Canopy were really bad about hiring basically 3rd world militants for their cheap security details. Ugandans/Ecuadorians were the most prevalent that I saw. They did (and perhaps still do) have more 'elite' teams actually made up of former operators and other wet work type people. But those were typically personal security details for State Department folks, and basically required a Ranger/SF Tab, or a CIA background.

That does seem like an obscene amount of money for his job. CIA/DIA/TF/JSOC type people wouldn't even necessarily make that starting out. I know some guys I used to work with actually did some of this work, and they started for considerably less than half of what this character is claiming he can make. It's very doubtful that he is working at an aluminum plant, instead of doing something like that. If he was actively being considered for a job like that, he could make a large amount of money as just a security consultant.

I looked into it some more Magic, and couldn't find anything about this guy. I don't think, but can't say conclusively, that he was ever awarded a Silver Star, and definitely not anything higher than that. The easy solution is just ask him to show you his DD214. It will list all his schools/awards on it.
    Probably the simplest solution, but since this guy will not even tell OP what award he got then I very much doubt he will show his records. I know his type and it is always a sad thing to see, some guy that had it rough in the Military and just cannot cope in civvy street, they will make up fantasies and stories to impress others and will often go to great lengths to cover up their fibs. Often they will even purchase awards and kit from ebay and try to pass it off as proof of their exploits.

The best way to catch out one of these imposters is to ask what units they served with, the more elite or prestigious they are the more they should be viewed with suspicion. You will rarely catch a Walter Mitty posing as a vehicle mechanic or clerk, they are always elite units or regular units that have undergone some sort of special training such as sniper school.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    He has contacted me with the information. There is no medal to find. It was awarded to him but he declined to receive it. Thanks for the help guys! Lots of interest in your replies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
    Agreed Rich. The funny thing is, typically, the more elite/prestigious the unit a person was in, the more they tend to downplay it, at least in my experience. Not to mention the terminology is slightly different. For example, SEAL Team 6 is generally called DEVGRU, or just Blue, in the special ops community. But the public knows it as SEAL Team 6, so people latch on to that.

My opinion is that people should be proud of their service regardless of what they did. The SEALS, or other elite folks can't do what they do without clerks, mechanics, and cooks. Everyone has a job. As long as you do it well, there's pride to be had in it.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMooCow View Post
    He has contacted me with the information. There is no medal to find. It was awarded to him but he declined to receive it. Thanks for the help guys! Lots of interest in your replies.
    So there never was a medal. I was expecting either something like this, or for him to tell you it was classified.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMooCow View Post
    Funny that, a perfect excuse for when someone is about to be caught out.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Probably the simplest solution, but since this guy will not even tell OP what award he got then I very much doubt he will show his records. I know his type and it is always a sad thing to see, some guy that had it rough in the Military and just cannot cope in civvy street, they will make up fantasies and stories to impress others and will often go to great lengths to cover up their fibs. Often they will even purchase awards and kit from ebay and try to pass it off as proof of their exploits.
    I don't think we get that much here, but there are people that collect stuff, thats a bit of an industry now lol... I know chinese companies that make fake m90 kits for example. Very little autenthical gear reaches 2nd hand markets. Nothing get sold by our Armed forces so whatever is out there is mostly fake stuff.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    I don't think we get that much here, but there are people that collect stuff, thats a bit of an industry now lol... I know chinese companies that make fake m90 kits for example. Very little autenthical gear reaches 2nd hand markets. Nothing get sold by our Armed forces so whatever is out there is mostly fake stuff.
    With the change to the Stolen Valor Act in the United States, it's actually pretty easy to get authentic military gear/awards/emblems and you can often see people walking around in dress uniform who have never served. It's always easy to spot them though, because they tend to muck things up. Like having the ranks in the wrong spot, having Lance Corporal on his arm but a blood stripe on his legs, or (the most common) is putting the ribbons on the wrong side of their chest. Just a trip down to my local flee market I could buy anything I would need, or sell anything I had. Though with him saying he declined the award, I think he is full of shit and using that as a cop out because you are digging too far into it and he doesn't want to be found out.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    With the change to the Stolen Valor Act in the United States, it's actually pretty easy to get authentic military gear/awards/emblems and you can often see people walking around in dress uniform who have never served. It's always easy to spot them though, because they tend to muck things up. Like having the ranks in the wrong spot, having Lance Corporal on his arm but a blood stripe on his legs, or (the most common) is putting the ribbons on the wrong side of their chest. Just a trip down to my local flee market I could buy anything I would need, or sell anything I had. Though with him saying he declined the award, I think he is full of shit and using that as a cop out because you are digging too far into it and he doesn't want to be found out.
    Best one I saw is a guy in full dress uniform wearing full medals, all his uniform was spot on and immaculate, what gave him away was his SAS beret was shaped to the wrong side.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Best one I saw is a guy in full dress uniform wearing full medals, all his uniform was spot on and immaculate, what gave him away was his SAS beret was shaped to the wrong side.....
    Lol. We had an LT do this in one of my units, beret formed on the opposite side (and unshaven).

Lol. We had an LT do this in one of my units, beret formed on the opposite side (and unshaven).
    Damn Boot Lieuts.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would also like a purple heart for being shot in my butt just like in the movies !
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    NoRest and Bakis will both appreciate this.

I had a friend in an Infantry unit (and I also know the officer in question here). They went out on a patrol, and took an S1 (personnel guy) LT with them. They were clearing a house, and a dog surprised this guy. The LT shot it, and of course, as a rifle will do in a closed space, the round ricocheted after passing through the dog. He caught a fragment of the round in his leg, nothing more than a scratch really. He put himself in for a CIB and Purple Heart because of it. Thankfully, the commander shot him down, but dear lord did everyone else laugh about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    I would also like a purple heart for being shot in my butt just like in the movies !
    You can get a Purple Heart for being injured in a combat zone even if not in combat. And by injured I even mean slightly so.

10+ Year Old Account

I had a friend in an Infantry unit (and I also know the officer in question here). They went out on a patrol, and took an S1 (personnel guy) LT with them. They were clearing a house, and a dog surprised this guy. The LT shot it, and of course, as a rifle will do in a closed space, the round ricocheted after passing through the dog. He caught a fragment of the round in his leg, nothing more than a scratch really. He put himself in for a CIB and Purple Heart because of it. Thankfully, the commander shot him down, but dear lord did everyone else laugh about it.
    So an S1 LT(prob a butter bar) put in for a CIB without his primary MOS being 11 series? Yeah, I woulda laughed my ass of at him, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    He was an 11A, at least afaik. He was in the S1 shop, but not the adjutant. I think he was basically just put there until a PL spot opened for him. That's not all together too uncommon. I have a buddy who is an aviator, but is stuck in the BDE S4 until a spot opens for him.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    You can get a Purple Heart for being injured in a combat zone even if not in combat. And by injured I even mean slightly so.
    Well it should be, for example I wouldnt be able to deny someone disabling mines or munition and getting injured not to be rewarded just cos he wasnt in combat or even an active combat zone
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Well it should be, for example I wouldnt be able to deny someone disabling mines or munition and getting injured not to be rewarded just cos he wasnt in combat or even an active combat zone
    By 'slightly' I was catering to those somewhat ridiculous stories. It seems sometimes they really just hand them out.

Lol... Yeah, I had some Marines under me who all got CAR (Combat Action Ribbon) while in the PI. They were doing some Surveys and heard a shot being fired. They all put their M16s out the high back and shot off a couple rounds. Their SSgt looked around, asked if everyone got a shot off, and put them all in for the award. Asshattery everywhere.

That's right up there with the entire COC on Camp Cupcake, I mean Al Asad Air Base, being awarded the CAR for a UXO landing 20 feet from the tent.
    Last edited by NoRest4Wicked; 2013-08-13 at 04:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    By 'slightly' I was catering to those somewhat ridiculous stories. It seems sometimes they really just hand them out.
    I was in Iraq 05-06, camp Striker. Some mortars came in one morning, landed in the motor pool, which was in the back corner of the camp and not remotely close to any normal pog work areas. Hell, our company toc was closer than the closest set of porta-shitters. Anywho, half the pogs in the BATTALION got a CAB that day, just cause they were on the base when it happened. The ones that didn't get it were over at Victory PX and the chow hall. We were lucky if we were even on the damn base during chow hall hours. Shit done pissed me off thinkin about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    Lol... Yeah, I had some Marines under me who all got CAR (Combat Action Ribbon) while in the PI. They were doing some Surveys and heard a shot being fired. They all put their M16s out the high back and shot off a couple rounds. Their SSgt looked around, asked if everyone got a shot off, and put them all in for the award. Asshattery everywhere.

That's right up there with the entire COC on Camp Cupcake, I mean Al Asad Air Base, being awarded the CAR for a UXO landing 20 feet from the tent.
    Al Asad. That's all you needed to say. I spent a fair amount of time passing through there on different bird's, but that's (thankfully) about it.

When my unit was headed over there, we stopped at Al Udeid in Qatar. Those Chair Force folks got combat pay, and alcohol rations. There was no shit a swimming pool and a spa with massages and what not on post. And they absolutely hated the idea of people of than their SF (read Security Forces, Air Force MP's) carrying weapons. It was so alien to me. Like, it's a combat zone, where you could go off post to play golf, come back, have a beer, go for a swim, get a massage, then have a couple drinks after dinner. Absolutely mind boggling.

I will say that it's apparently changed a whole lot in different places over there now. I was right next to Camp Ramadi during most of my time over there, and other than a chow how, and a tiny px, there was nothing there. This was '06 though, during the Awakening, and it was still sort of the Wild Wild West out there. Before we got out over there, I had friends telling me that Camp Ramadi/Hurricane Point has Starbucks and a Pizza Hut.

10+ Year Old Account
    He is full of shit, PMC's will not seek you out, you apply to them and hope like hell you can get in. PMC's are flooded with applications from ex-military types, they are even rejecting SNCO's from combat arms.
    Exactly, PMC's don't need to seek people because TONS of highly skilled ex-military apply to them daily in hopes of getting in and getting paid 2-5 times what they made in the military to do basically the same thing (with better toys and less restrictions).

Hell, I'd join just to shoot some fucking zealots if I weren't successful in my business ventures here stateside.

Also, every time I read one of RICH's posts, I'm reminded on how knowledgeable he is.
    Last edited by The One Percent; 2013-08-13 at 06:18 PM.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.