10 man, Disc needed?

We no longer have a disc priest on our core team and i'm recruiting currently, my question is, how needed is disc on a 10man team? They seem extremely strong in all aspects on a 10 man roster.

I have a shaman / hpally as other two healers, would a monk or druid work well enough, or is disc atm a necessity ?

yes you will fail in heroic modes without one

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    We no longer have a disc priest on our core team and i'm recruiting currently, my question is, how needed is disc on a 10man team? They seem extremely strong in all aspects on a 10 man roster.

I have a shaman / hpally as other two healers, would a monk or druid work well enough, or is disc atm a necessity ?
    It is not a necessity. A befriended guild on my server got 13/13 heroic with a monk and a shaman as mainhealers.
    Nonetheless disc is incredibly strong in 10m and makes your progression way easier. The combination of absorbs, dmg and good cooldowns is fantastic.
    So you should try go get a new disc

Quote Originally Posted by Balo View Post
    My guild is 10/13 HM with resto druid & resto shaman healers so this is not true. Our 3rd healer which only heals Meg & Primordius HMs is our shadow priest but he is pretty awful at healing as disc and gets out healed by the shaman and druid anyways.

IMO for the original post I would say resto druid or priest because they excel at healing people that are spread out which hpally and shaman are both not very strong at.

For heroic yes, we werent able to kill megaera, council and horridon without a disc priest. If you're going for decent world rankings, as it is now you would always want a holy pala and a disc priest +random.
    This was however first week of hardmodes, the person above saying they killed 10/13 hc with a resto druid and shaman at this point is nothing special, neither is 10 hc.

Quote Originally Posted by Balo View Post
    Complete bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disc makes everything a lot easier, so it would make sense to get one. You could probably go 13/13 with double resto shaman (if they don't suck completely), but why make it more difficult then it needs to be?

Not needed, but really nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by deidios View Post
    My guild is 10/13 HM with resto druid & resto shaman healers so this is not true. Our 3rd healer which only heals Meg & Primordius HMs is our shadow priest but he is pretty awful at healing as disc and gets out healed by the shaman and druid anyways.

IMO for the original post I would say resto druid or priest because they excel at healing people that are spread out which hpally and shaman are both not very strong at.
    10/13 with new tier almost out. what ilvl are you guys? 540+? it's very different compared to the top 10 guilds who had an avg around 523-525 and no lmg, cloaks etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't have a disc priest (though our shadow filled in as one a few, very few, times when another healer couldn't make it to raid). We did all our firstkills and rekills in ToT without a disc priest. The usual healer roster we run with in 99% of our kills is resto shaman, resto druid, holy paladin. Mostly, the druid goes dps when all 3 of us are going to be present for a 2-heal encounter.

For SoO, our paladin will gear his monk in order to have options in case paladin won't cut it anymore after the patch goes live.
    Last edited by Seriss; 2013-08-13 at 08:35 PM.

It depends what you're doing. You really need a Disc or at minimum a Holy Paladin if you hope to do any real progression. Sure you can get away with just about any healing setup now because people have an ilvl of 540-550 and out gear the instance completely. Balo and Bonkura have the right idea, expect to get a lot of people coming in here saying "blah blah blah we have these healers we are this progression blah blah blah" but just ignore it. The truth is you're going to struggle really hard without a Disc priest until we're at a similar point we are now in terms of over-gearing the content.

A Holy paladin can do absorbs somewhat but nowhere near to the level a Disc Priest can.

Deleted
    My guild has full cleared heroics without a disc priest; however I completely agree with comment above (i.e. we completely overgeared heroic modes ~543 at Lei Shen). I really wish that we had a disc priest throughout this tier as they are a great asset in a raid. If you're doing progression prior to overgearing the content you want a disc priest.

10+ Year Old Account
    We are 8/13H and 2 heal most fights with a druid and a pally. On the few we need a third healer for we usually have our shaman go resto and on very few occasions we have our spriest go disc instead.

It's not needed at all but it does help.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

Disco is to healing what prot pally is to tanking and warlock to dps :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theiea View Post
    Not needed, but really nice to have.
    Exactly this

It's not mandatory, we did everything with holy/Resto Druid, but it does make some of them easier
    Thanks to Shyama for my beautiful signature
    Naobí 2/7 Mythic

Deleted
    There are so many mechanics that get way easier with a disc priest: Horridon dire call, Animus last part, Megaera rampage, Council frost debuff. There certainly will be many of those in 5.4 as well, and since there is really no reason not to take a disc... Like people said, not absolutely mandatory, but it is a big plus to have one.

10+ Year Old Account
    disc has been powerful every tier this expansion (and many before mop as well). Theres a reason for this. one that is played well, is super beneficial.
    Hi

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post

It's not necessary, but you may find it easier having one.

I heal with a disc priest on my holy pally, though it's really nice on certain fights, whenever he is not there, we 2 heal with a shaman and myself and have no issues, now if u dont have a holy pally or a disc priest, then it will be quite difficult. Good Luck in your search on a replacement