Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazshax View Post
    My schedule for this week changed a bit, and is nasty nasty nasty for trying to schedule the draft. I thought I would be off on 8/31 and 9/1, and I may still be. However if I end up working it is very unlikely that I could be on for the draft. I'll do my best to get my personalized draft settings entered in case I have to autodraft.

If you want a specific schedule to try to work with, let me know. I expect that would be more trouble than its worth though.
    Yeah I'm having issues with my availability as well... just due to the timezone difference of being in Australia. I might also have to end up auto drafting, which is something nobody "wants" to do... but it may be unavoidable.

A quick bit of math indicates the following for me:

Wed 28th - Unavailable due to work between 6pm EDT and 4:30am EDT following morning
    Thu 29th - Unavailable due to work between 5pm EDT and 3:00am EDT following morning
    Fri 30th - Available between 5pm EDT and 9am EDT of following morning (except for a block between 10pm and Midnight EDT)
    Sat 31st - Available between 5pm EDT and 9am EDT of following morning
    Sun 1st - Unavailable due to work between 6pm EDT and 4:00am EDT following morning
    Mon 2nd - Unavailable due to work between 6pm EDT and 4:00am EDT following morning
    Tue 3rd - Unavailable due to work between 6pm EDT and 4:00am EDT following morning
    Wed 4th - Unavailable due to work between 6pm EDT and 4:00am EDT following morning

Friday the 30th and Saturday the 31st being the best days for me, both of which are Not Open for one participant. So it does look like I might be auto-drafting.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alae View Post
    In hindsight I should have put a section to have people include there team names so I knew who responded..... and who had issues with draft times. Doesn't seem to be a clear winner in terms of the date to host our draft either.
    Signed up. Team name is Post-Kickoff Commercial Break. My draft availability is whenever.

Would anyone else have any potential issue in trying an auction draft at some point? I've never been in an auction league, and everyone that does them insists up and down that it's like comparing chess to checkers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Would anyone else have any potential issue in trying an auction draft at some point? I've never been in an auction league, and everyone that does them insists up and down that it's like comparing chess to checkers.
    I'm definitely not ready for an auction draft. I need to learn to walk before I run. I'm all for the posibility in the future though.

I need more fantasy advice besides what conscript posted. Rank the players at each position 1-10 and then say which order you draft positions in. Like...

RB RB QB...Etc...

I'm in a 10 team league.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh otherwise I'm just gonna follow w.e. Bleacherreport or Yahoo rankings are lols..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I need more fantasy advice besides what conscript posted. Rank the players at each position 1-10 and then say which order you draft positions in. Like...

RB RB QB...Etc...

I'm in a 10 team league.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh otherwise I'm just gonna follow w.e. Bleacherreport or Yahoo rankings are lols..
    My ranks
    QB: Brees, Newton, Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Ryan. Stafford, Wilson, RG3, Kaepernick
    RB: Peterson, Martin, Charles, Spiller, McCoy, Lynch, Rice, Foster (only this low because of injury concern), Morris, Forte, Ridley
    WR: Megatron, Green, Bryant, Fitz, Marshall, Jones, Thomas, Bowe, Amendola, Cobb
    TE: Graham, Gonzalez, Witten, Vernon Davis, Olsen, Fred Davis, Rudolph, Daniels, Finley, Gronk in here somewhere
    K: Whoever from a top offense or one that will kick a ton of FG (Walsh)
    D: Seattle, Chicago, San Fran, Houston, Cinncy, Arizona, Denver, New England, Green Bay, St Louis

Absolutely, positively DO NOT set a specific order you will draft in. Do not go RB 1st, QB 2nd, RB 3rd, WR 4th, WR/RB Flex 5th, TE 6th, etc. Draft based on best available to fit your roster. There are only two absolutes you should follow:
    1) 1st round draft the best available (or who you believe is the best available) RB. Don't jump for the best QB. Megatron is the only possible exception if you believe a legit RB 1 is still going to be on the board for your second pick (say you're drafting 8th or 9th). He is really the only guy who is going to be significantly better than anyone else at his position. Had Stafford not melted down in the red zone last year, Megatron would have finished 30 points ahead of the next WR.
    2) Don't take a kicker until the last round.

Take a defense when the flow of the draft forces you to. You want to get a good one, but even if you don't get one of the "best" scoring defenses, you can always draft multiple mid-tier defenses (say Pittsburgh and St Louis) and play them based on matchups or even just drop and pick up a defense based on matchups.

Your positional draft order is going to absolutely be based on the spot you end up picking and the way the rest of your league drafts. Theoretically no one should take anything but an RB in the 1st round, but if it is a random person league some homer is going to take Rodgers or Brees at pick 5, then someone will take another QB, guy at 9 takes Megatron, and suddenly the 10th pick finds himself with RB5 and RB6 when he went in thinking he would take RB10 and WR1 or QB1.

Still looking for one more to fill the last spot in League 2.

15+ Year Old Account
    Running out of time to get that 2nd league filled up. Has to be another person, even from the first league, to take that spot before the draft on the 31st.

Generally, I'd volunteer to snag a team, but I'm already in three leagues this year. I'd also have to autodraft because my dad is coming into town, he's leaving right before the first league's draft on Sunday. I couldn't really promise I'd be as active as I should be.

Also, I take a defense right before I take a kicker usually. Defense is super match up dependent, and you'll likely switch constantly anyway. There's usually maybe, maybe, one defense that is just way better than the rest. This defense, however, is basically never the team everyone thinks it will be in the preseason. Kicker you take last because there's no real difference between one and the next. Defense you take late because it's a total crap shoot.
    Last edited by buck008; 2013-08-28 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Running out of time to get that 2nd league filled up. Has to be another person, even from the first league, to take that spot before the draft on the 31st.
    I had not heard that the draft for the second league was the 31st. Hopefully the auto draft stacks my team for me

I'll help you guys out if you need it.

Availability: Saturday morning is out. And my other draft is Saturday most likely night so...

- - - Updated - - -

Also, when you say "take kicker last round" do you mean round 15 after you stack your bench? Or do you mean round 12 before your bench.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I'll help you guys out if you need it.

Availability: Saturday morning is out. And my other draft is Saturday most likely night so...

- - - Updated - - -

Also, when you say "take kicker last round" do you mean round 15 after you stack your bench? Or do you mean round 12 before your bench.
    I assume he means last round in general, the very last pick you make. It's what I've seen most draft gurus give as their opinion, draft as late as you can for a kicker.

Might possibly be a tactical edge in that if you have a last bench player you are certain noone will pick you could go second to last round kicker and snag one of the top names, but usually taking a bench player will help your team more then 1 kicker over another (from what I've read).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brogrom View Post
    I had not heard that the draft for the second league was the 31st. Hopefully the auto draft stacks my team for me
    I don't know if that is when it is supposed to be or not, but right now it is set to August 31st at 9pm.

I started a MMO-Champion Pick em group on NFL.com. No password, feel free to join:
    http://weeklypickem.fantasy.nfl.com/group/3816

10+ Year Old Account
    So is the 2nd league set now? I was gonna ask a few friends today if we couldn't get enough bodies.

Also I'm expecting to set a time for league 1's draft on Thursday, I'm pretty sure it'll be on Monday or Tuesday.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I assume he means last round in general, the very last pick you make. It's what I've seen most draft gurus give as their opinion, draft as late as you can for a kicker.

Might possibly be a tactical edge in that if you have a last bench player you are certain noone will pick you could go second to last round kicker and snag one of the top names, but usually taking a bench player will help your team more then 1 kicker over another (from what I've read).
    Ya the kicker should be the 15th round pick. Even if you do think you know a guy or two who will be a sleeper no one picks up, you can likely just snag them on the free agent wire after the draft. The kicker spot is just too unpredictable and there isn't enough separation between guys. The spread from K1 to K12 was 31 points and absolutely no one took the guy who ended up at K1 (Blair Walsh) while plenty of people sprang for the guy who ended up at K2 (Gostkowski) and K16 who couldn't end up making shit at the end of the year and probably should be unemployed right now (Crosby). Kicking is almost always a gamble and really isn't worth adding too early over getting a better RB4, WR6, etc.

Deleted
    Did auction draft this weekend with friends and few other people, and of course I blew some cash at start and wasn't able to get everything what I wanted, but here's what I got so maybe you can "rate" this lineup and how can it do:

QB: Drew Brees
    RB: Marshawn Lynch
    RB: Jacquizz Rodgers (sign that I was out of cash)
    WR: Brandon Marshall
    WR: Sidney Rice
    TE: Jason Witten (passed on Gronk since he's often injured)
    FLEX: Kendall Wright (yet again no cash)
    DEF: 49ers (wasn't able to snatch Hawks)
    K:Matt Bryant

I don't know if that is when it is supposed to be or not, but right now it is set to August 31st at 9pm.

I started a MMO-Champion Pick em group on NFL.com. No password, feel free to join:
    http://weeklypickem.fantasy.nfl.com/group/3816
    Sweet thanks for setting one of these up Conscript. I signed up and am ready to get all the picks right for week 1 hah

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    So is the 2nd league set now? I was gonna ask a few friends today if we couldn't get enough bodies.

Also I'm expecting to set a time for league 1's draft on Thursday, I'm pretty sure it'll be on Monday or Tuesday.
    I can let you know tomorrow night after I get off work (so around 2 a.m. eastern when I get home and start up my slow ass computer). But likely, like 95%, I'll have Monday off.

Sorry for the lack of updates, been busy as all hell with work and trying to get another league im in co-ordinated.

That draft date and time is just a place holder, as posted previously I posted my availability and it looks like whatever time the draft happens I'll be running with an auto picked team, unless I manage to get a shift swap...

Right now based on the survey votes I've recieved.. the actually draft will probably happen on Monday or Tuesday. Obviously it wont conflict with League 1 as we have 2 members from that participating. I dont know what prefered time you guys will all like though? 9pm EST?

I'm signed up as Summertime Sadness. I'm following conscripts advice LOL so this will be interesting.