Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Decent heatsink for overclocked 4670k

I'm looking for some decent CPU heatsink for overclocked i5-4670k. I am hoping to reach 4.4 Ghz without the risk of overheating
    So far I have considered the 5 heatsinks below. They are in 55-70$ price range.
    It's pretty hard to find benchmarks which would let me compare these, so maybe someone experienced could share some info about which is the best? And if they will be sufficient. Or maybe there are other coolers, more efficient in the same price range?

Thermaltake NiC C5
    Thermaltake Frio advanced
    Scythe Mugen 3
    Scythe Ninja 3
    Cooler Master Seidon 120

In case of... case and its cooling making a difference, this is the case I'm planning to use: http://www.silentiumpc.com/regnum-l5...black/?lang=en
    1 fan on top, 1 in front and 1 in the back
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Austrian Sandwich. It's a little a more then your price range, but it's the best.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608018
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Open to watercooling? The H60 2013 edition performs very closely to the H100i while costing 50$.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Austrian Sandwich. It's a little a more then your price range, but it's the best.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608018
    It was the best some time ago. It's been since then matched (silver arrow, phanteks tc14pe) and even passed (dark rock pro 2, silver arrow extreme) as far as air cooling is concerned.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    Open to watercooling? The H60 2013 edition performs very closely to the H100i while costing 50$.

It was the best some time ago. It's been since then matched (silver arrow, phanteks tc14pe) and even passed (dark rock pro 2, silver arrow extreme) as far as air cooling is concerned.
    still the noctua one is more silent iirc.
    i'd drop in some nice H100i or similar cooler in the top/roof of the case. (do swap out the fans for silence/performance though)

Deleted
    I believe he is from Poland?

I looked at http://www.x-kom.pl/ but they have like no options, any other place you can use? Besides using other EU sites.

x-kom has very limited offer indeed.

I can also use:
    http://www.arest.pl/Wentylatory/do-p...,19,,,0,0,0,,/
    http://www.gral.pl/sklep.php?w=prod_...ylator_wiatrak
    http://proline.pl/?g=Ch%C5%82odzenie...enie+procesora
    http://www.komputronik.pl/category/6...ow.html?view=2

So I have plenty of options. I will be buying a heatsink some time after getting PC, so I can buy it just anywhere.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

Seeing the limited offer + skyhigh prices, on your budget I'd go for the Scythe Ninja.
    Last edited by Fluorescent0; 2013-08-14 at 10:33 AM.

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

So the scythe ninja is the best of those 3?
    And what do you mean by skyhigh prices?

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    So the scythe ninja is the best of those 3?
    And what do you mean by skyhigh prices?
    A Corsair H60 (50$ in USA) is priced 329 Polish Zloty, or about 104$.

Nah, that's Europe thing. Shipping from US, VAT and toll taxes increase prices in Europe. Basically, you can switch $ into euro to get a usual price in Europe, for electronics at least. So those prices aren't that skyhigh.

What matters is - is the Scythe ninja 3 better than the other 4 heatsinks

Yes it is. But no, it's not like that everywhere in europe. Plus eve if we switched the $ price to €, that would be 50€, not close to 80 like on that product.

But I see it on newegg, discounted from 80$ to 65$
    And on ebay.de you can find it for 65 euro+
    I'm not sure where you got 329 Polish Zloty price either. From the shops I linked there were only 249-299, which gives 60-71 euro

Anyway, thanks for the tip about Ninja 3

H60 for 50$. Anyways if you can grab this one instead do it.

Any tower style cooler with push/pull 120MM fans would be the first place I start.

I prefer the contained liquid coolers, but the large, multi-fan/radiator coolers are just as effective. It's all up to price.

For reference, here in the US a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ goes for $20 USD, a Corsair H60 for $50 USD, and a Noctua NH-D14 for $75 USD.

pcpartpicker and ebay show 212 evo for 30$ minimum and H60 for 60$ minimum (currently 1 shop has 1 day discount from 70$ to 50$). So where do you get those numbers?
    Can we skip talking about discounts and use some average retail prices?

Deleted
    Alright looked through your links, I'm not 100% sure how much you can spend but all of these are decent/good, you know how much you can pay. Random order:

Corsair Hydro H55
    Zalman CNPS9900 Max
    Arctic Freezer i30 (second link
    Argon Silverstone SST-AR03.
    Noctua NH-U12S
    Thermaltake Frio OCK
    Corsair A70 (not sure it's in stock)

As mentioned I'm not sure on the stock/availability on all of them so you'll have to check for that.

- - - Updated - - -

I've actually found this one to be really good and the price seems good too:

Enermax ETS-T40-TB.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing here? These appear to be the same model, except the frys picture shows a different tubing style/material.
    http://www.frys.com/product/6556993
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181030

Surely there can't be that big of a price difference between the same product though?

The first price seems wrong, it can't be that cheap

Deleted
    Simpler installation, bigger CPU/heatsink surface, quieter and better performance, better quality (like the tubing) and design overall as well. Maybe a better warranty but not 100% sure on that, it's 5-year warranty on the updated version. The one at Fry's isn't available for delivery either, maybe in-store only?