Thread: Dark apotheosis

Deleted

Dark apotheosis

I'm still relatively new to locks, I've done some searches but can't come up with anything recent for this (pre 6 months old) but where does dark apotheosis stand now? I really like the idea and I've been having fun playing with it. Is it still terrible for dps? I obviously wouldn't use it for hc's/raids but it seems decent for scenarios. Where does it stand for pvp and soloing? Very subpar compared to usual conventional play style?

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    I love the playstyle of the Demon Hunter lock, but unless I'm just doing it wrong, it hasn't proved very viable in dungeons. For solo play, it does seem to be okay -- you trade off the speed you'd get from normal Demo DPS for increased survivability. I find it fun enough to use for solo play, and tend to alternate whether I use it in scenarios or not.

Still, it needs a lot of love before it's a truly viable option.

In short, it is terrible for dps. In long, it trades all of the damage boost gained from Metamorphosis for flat damage reduction (that scales so poorly with mastery as to make any mastery on your gear wasted stats), defensive cooldowns, a pseudo-taunt; and also turns your main nuke into a three-charge short range attack that is cooldown capped. Oh, and you do 500% threat at all times. Low dps, high threat, and increased survivability - sadly, there are very few situations where this is needed or desired.

But.

For a while I tanked heroics and scenarios on my warlock with guildies. To queue we still needed a tank class to queue as tank and they just went dps once we got inside. It. Was. Epic. Seriously some of the most fun I've had playing Warlock over the years. But in the end we don't have vengeance, or true scaling mitigation; and it's nothing more than a novelty.

Problem is, it looks cool as hell. I glyph DA and run around in bgs laughing as people try to kill me... I'm not able to actually kill anyone that way, but it's a fun change of pace.
    Last edited by Avido77; 2013-08-14 at 10:50 AM.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would love to know what ilvl they had, especially compared to the rest of the raid. I'd also love to know their stat priority.

I tanked Normal Spirit Kings with it a few weeks into that tier. Gemmed for Stam, and reforged for Mastery after Hit cap. I used Sacrifice and Soul Link for higher effective health, but now Soul Link with Supremacy would be better.

The rotation is very very easy to do, just rotate your ToC usage to get as high of an uptime as possible on Fury Ward and fill the rest with Life Drain. If someone is catching you on threat, spam Soul Fire for a bit and ask for a tricks/misdirect.
    Last edited by Teye; 2013-08-14 at 04:03 PM.

Deleted
    So still definitely more of a gimmicky thing than anything. Good job I don't do anything more than lfr then haha

To be fair it helped me A LOT! Especially when you have low or lower ilevel it helps a ton in farming specific things. When MoP was just launched and Hof/ToES was not opened I started to farm Skyshards to call down Alani. I found it slow and frustrating, until I found the sprites in the pandaren village and went there with DA. It was incredible: despite my low health pool and damage I still was able to kill all of the mobs, pulled like 8-10 at a time and AoEd them down with Harvest Life and Immo Aura, was incredibly fun. But nowadays, despite the fact that I still dont have BiS gear (548 Ilevel) I rather use Destro while I can: Soul Leech and Soul Link is incredibly strong, makes you to be able to solo lots of things. But until you got that go with DA, it is truly and epic feeling.