Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    Agreed, you gotta trust who you trust. It may very well not be a hoax. But I generally trust MMO-Champ's statements.
    Boub is literally right 99% of the dam time lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    It's on a government site... and what? Now you won't believe any Blizzard trademark after they just trademarked Corgis Unleashed? What I am about to say is not a troll, so don't randomly in fracture me like you usually do. I believe Corbis Unleashed is probably a new kid's game or something. Who knows? Why disregard The Dark Below just because Blizzard also trademarked Corgis Unleashed? And to say that a government trademark site is easily editable and free/cheat means that you have no clue on how governments are run or any sense of the worth of money.
    because it isn't trademarked what was found was an application to register The Dark Below, in which anyone can do

10+ Year Old Account
    It's real.

Quote Originally Posted by jd812 View Post
    because it isn't trademarked what was found was an application to register The Dark Below, in which anyone can do
    If just anyone is going around submitting applications to register trademarks for Blizzard while using their attorney's name and signature, there's gonna be some legal repercussions.

Quote Originally Posted by hordeslayer View Post
    It's real.
    Thank you, you have completely changed my thoughts and opinions on the matter with your moving words backed by sound logic and reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Chudah View Post
    If just anyone is going around submitting applications to register trademarks for Blizzard while using their attorney's name and signature, there's gonna be some legal repercussions.
    I should think so.

He/She never submitted it. It's just an application.

Quote Originally Posted by I make people mad View Post
    Boub is literally right 99% of the dam time lol
    Yeah, as cool as The Dark Below sounded I'm just gonna listen to whatever Boub is thinking, he's always been dead on with expansions and such.
    Currently playing: Stuff
    YouTube|Hearthstone Decks|Twitter|MyAnimeList

Quote Originally Posted by Duskster View Post
    Anyone remember the fake leak of the "Vengeance of the Void" expansion in the months preceding the inevitable leak of MOP and how so many people were clamoring to baselessly justify its legitimacy because they didn't want pandas in game? Anyone remember how those suckers would shout down any skeptics as "butthurt MMO-Champ fanboys defending a site for getting scooped?" Anyone remember how MMO-Champ summarily exposed it as a total fake shortly afterwards with news of the official MOP trademarking? I still do

Anyway, the whole point is that, being shown how easy it is fake a trademark application, whoever found this likely stumbled onto what could have been "fabricated proof" that was meant to be used to lend credence to something more dubious, such as a scoop on another manufactured/fake expansion. Some sites out their are just plain shady as far as their reporting goes and will put up ANYTHING to drum up buzz and traffic for their sites. Hell, just look here for a prime example. Everything on that page was dreamed up and first posted here as a fan work and yet the authors on that page tried to pass it off as fact and credited no sources in order to prevent the hoax from being self-debunked.
    Legacy of the Void is what you're thinking of, and that is real. It's an expansion/campaign for Starcraft 2. So that point doesn't really stand.

As for the rest, sure, faking something is easy as people have pointed out. However, those fakes are pretty terrible, as others pointed out, considering the lack of consistency with the other Blizzard filed trademarks. The only 'fake' that actually fits with other trademarks is The Dark Below.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    These

but i still want it to be official
    me too. i was excited as fuck for something deep deep sea related.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    It's on a government site... and what? Now you won't believe any Blizzard trademark after they just trademarked Corgis Unleashed? What I am about to say is not a troll, so don't randomly in fracture me like you usually do. I believe Corbis Unleashed is probably a new kid's game or something. Who knows? Why disregard The Dark Below just because Blizzard also trademarked Corgis Unleashed? And to say that a government trademark site is easily editable and free/cheat means that you have no clue on how governments are run or any sense of the worth of money.
    Based on your avatar, I can infer that you probably have more trust in the government than you should.

But anyway, The Dark Below just sounds like a horrible name for an expansion or any product for that matter, and I thought that before I found out it might be a fake. Blizz would be stupid to title an expansion "World of Warcraft: The Dark Below"

Did you even read the MMOC article? It was said that people can apply for a trademark under Blizzard's name, so we don't even know if legit Blizzard applied for The Dark Below, or some hoaxer.

Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    Did you even read the MMOC article? It was said that people can apply for a trademark under Blizzard's name, so we don't even know if legit Blizzard applied for The Dark Below, or some hoaxer.
    Although people can apply for a trademark under Blizzard's name doesn't mean that they should, especially if they're using Blizz's attorney's name and signature. Using an attorney's name/bar number is a pretty big deal, especially if malpractice comes out of its use and ends up causing said attorney trouble with their bar. I would think Blizzard would clamp down on a hoax like this pretty quick instead of perpetuating it by making additional false trademark applications.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Antilurker77 View Post
    He/She never submitted it. It's just an application.
    It doesn't matter. If I were the attorney, I'd be pretty freaking upset that someone was even filling out apps with my name and signature. That's not something to screw around with at all.

Although people can apply for a trademark under Blizzard's name doesn't mean that they should, especially if they're using Blizz's attorney's name and signature. Using an attorney's name/bar number is a pretty big deal, especially if malpractice comes out of its use and ends up causing said attorney trouble with their bar. I would think Blizzard would clamp down on a hoax like this pretty quick instead of perpetuating it by making additional false trademark applications.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't matter. If I were the attorney, I'd be pretty freaking upset that someone was even filling out apps with my name and signature. That's not something to screw around with at all.
    I don't give a damn whether people should or not. The hard fact of the matter is that people are still able to. Who cares whether they should? That's not the issue

Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    I don't give a damn whether people should or not. The hard fact of the matter is that people are still able to. Who cares whether they should? That's not the issue
    The issue is that if they did do this, Blizzard would damn well have clamped down on it rather than let this speculation go wild. We're talking using a lawyer's name and bar number. That's serious shit. If Blizzard's legal team were in any way competent, they would've shut this rumor down the minute it was leaked so they could investigate the issue. That didn't happen, on the contrary, Blizzard decided to play along, which makes absolutely no logical sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can someone tell me why someone would use the title " The Dark Below" to prank the WoW user base?

I mean if you want to prank someone, you would entitle it something more obvious, and more legion-based. You wouldn't use an obscure WoW reference that most people had never heard of.

Even at the height of all of this, most people STILL didn't believe it was the next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Can someone tell me why someone would use the title " The Dark Below" to prank the WoW user base?

I mean if you want to prank someone, you would entitle it something more obvious, and more legion-based. You wouldn't use an obscure WoW reference that most people had never heard of.

Even at the height of all of this, most people STILL Adidn't believe it was the next expansion.
    Because people are expecting the legion. Going for The Dark Below as a fake expansion name could incite flame wars between people wanting different things. Legion's too easy to aim for. Not saying it is or isn't a hoax, I have no idea, but I could see why someone would go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post

I mean if you want to prank someone, you would entitle it something more obvious, and more legion-based..
    Or obviously under water based. Yall just got tricked.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    A handful of people nut-busting about it on various forums does not equal popularity, and popularity does not equal good design.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukhoi View Post
    Or obviously under water based. Yall just got tricked.
    Hahaha trolled so hard whoever the guy is pretty amazing because god dayum it sparked quite a fuss.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aettis View Post
    Legacy of the Void is what you're thinking of, and that is real.
    No, I know exactly what Legacy of the Void is. Vengeance of the Void was a bogus leak about the next expansion at the time returning to Outland and A'dal going evil. The "news" was broken by MMOwned.com and everyone ate it up because it was a faked document using Activision Blizzard's letterhead.

Here is a link with all the bogus docs.

The point here is that maybe the whole "The Dark Below" trademark app is legit or maybe it isn't. The doubt is reasonable enough to go either way since the "Corgis Unleashed" app pretty much showed how documents can be faked and cast doubt on the authenticity of the first announcement but the possibility remains that this could be a red herring thrown out for damage control. Nobody will know for sure until Blizzard decides to make an announcement on it.
    Last edited by Nero Duskwind; 2013-08-15 at 03:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    Because people are expecting the legion. Going for The Dark Below as a fake expansion name could incite flame wars between people wanting different things. Legion's too easy to aim for. Not saying it is or isn't a hoax, I have no idea, but I could see why someone would go for it.
    I'm not super happy about TDB instead of a legion expansion, but honestly...

This entire thing really does feel a LOT like what happened with the Worgen/Goblin masks and subsequent cover-up attempts.
    So while it certainly could easily be a hoax, for now I'm going to stick with the probably real side.

The Dark Below is a very, very solid name for an Expansion, unlike the majority of fan suggestions which are usually generic and obvious like "Rise of the Legion" (no offense Ro9ue)