Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...

10+ Year Old Account
    My headphones stopped at 16k, at the doctors (Last week), I could go up higher.

10+ Year Old Account
    17k with crappy speakers.

Deleted
    18k is the one I've heard last, but it's stated in the video that youtube compression affects the sounds, which means the test is not so accurate....

15+ Year Old Account
    15k kHz for me. But http://www.hearinglosscheck.org/ is a much better kind of test. Also using programs like Audacity and a good soundcard with high frequency response (Asus Xonar Essence STX) I still hear up to 17,386 Hertz sine waves and still register up to 17,503 Hertz just fine and I am 37.

PS: I would not suggest testing it all by yourself. You may damage your ears that way and ironically stop hearing all these fancy frequencies altogether.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2013-08-15 at 10:58 AM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    Sorry!? I didn't catch that!

10+ Year Old Account
    According to my doctor I have excellent hearing, while according to this test on youtube I can only hear up to 16k Hz.

Only problem I have with my hearing is that I seem to have very selective hearing, which can be annoying at times as well as a blessing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Get better headphones.
    Damn! I knew my speakers were not new, now I find out they're over 40 years old!

I could hear all of them except for fifteen and seventeen thousand.
    This is strange. :S
    Edit: But the headphones 'ticket' at those frequencies instead, so I think it's a technological thing rather than my ears.

Deleted
    I couldn't hear past 8000. But at the doctor I could hear up to 21000.

Couldn't hear 16,000hz (Under 30), and im 25. Not so bad, since i have music on my ears most of my days.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

Deleted
    All of them and I'm almost 21 so I guess thats good

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    All of them and I'm almost 21 so I guess thats good
    Wtb some, you clearly have too much.

I don't get it...was there supposed to be a sound in conjunction with the different number ranges??

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspect of Death View Post
    Wtb some, you clearly have too much.
    Probably, I can hear the vermin repelling thingies that make ultrasound too.. or are supposed to make. It's really annoying but my parents keep buying them and insisting that people aren't supposed to hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fauier View Post
    Hahahaha testing on youtube video that use audio compression that cut off everything past 16-17k? You hear voices in your head! Hahaha.

Here, have some real test without audio compression: http://onlinetonegenerator.com/hearingtest.html

MP3 bit rate cut-off frequency compression
    1411kbps >20kHz 1:1
    320kbps 19.5kHz 1:4.4
    192kbps 18kHz 1:7.3
    160kbps 17kHz 1:8.8
    128kbps 16kHz 1:11
    96kbps 15kHz 1:14.7
    64kbps 11kHz 1:22
    32kbps 5kHz 1:44

Anyway i could hear up to 17 400Hz and im 28 (i bet if i can get good headset i can probably hear more)
    This test was noticeably better, IMO. Thanks for that! I could hear up to about 17k in this version, (only 15k in the other, and everything above that was just clicking).

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Probably, I can hear the vermin repelling thingies that make ultrasound too.. or are supposed to make. It's really annoying but my parents keep buying them and insisting that people aren't supposed to hear them.
    Wtf.. well that must be annoying :\

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard 16k perfectly fine, as soon as 17k came on I didn't hear anything.
    I'm 28 years old

Both my headset and speakers went with ticking. I listened to something similar a couple of years ago on a different headset. I don't recall the exact "results" of that little experience (I think it was just playing the highest frequency, rather than a variety of them) but I could hear the sound. I don't listen to much through headphones if I can help it (VOIP yes, most other stuff I'll try to avoid unless it's older music that actually plays differently in each ear), and I don't listen to anything loud... with the exception of TV or movies. Something in my brain has issues with sorting out spoken (not sung) word, so I need to crank it up to understand dialogue.

I've had one experience face to face where I wound up needing someone else to repeat what the cashier was saying because my brain refused to translate it for me - it was almost like Charlie Brown and adults speaking on screen.

I hear things before other people, and noises in general don't bother me. People around me with hearing problems tend to be more likely to find certain noises obnoxious and aggravating, probably because so much else simply doesn't get through that they actually believe the world is a quieter place than it is.

EDIT: Well, there's this, which my speakers and headset WILL play http://theoatmeal.com/quizzes/sound/ and was audible at what I assume is a frequency the default YT quality made impossible to hear on my equipment (not the highest frequency in the YT vid, either, but lots closer); I believe I was able to hear up to 19k on the YT vid after changing the quality, but the clicks were still audible so perhaps my brain simply filled in the blank.
    Last edited by Chirri; 2013-08-15 at 05:48 PM.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

I could hear up to 18k Hz - my right ear is kinda screwed for hearing after years of earphones + loud music